Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what are some good movies set in the 1800s thats the most realistic and realy gives you that feel,or puts in the movies were it feels like you in the 1800s?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Midnight in Paris' 1920 might come close enough. And I believe a few scenes towards the end are set in the late 1800's as well. Uhm... Dostoyevsky's The Idiot (written in 1869) was made into a Russian mini-series, so you might want to check that out. The masterpiece Amadeus is late 1700's unfortunately - but perhaps you can cheat a little bit in case your interest is merely leisurely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Duelist(1977) it begins in 1800 and ends after the restoration. Its pretty much just a series of fight scenes.

The Liberator(2014), its about Simon Bolivar(1783-1830)*. Its been a while since I've seen it and that was before I looked into South American independence; also I was about to fall asleep and subtitles, but from what I remember it was good.
As a side note there are so many amazing stories in the history of South American independence that would make fantastic movies; seriously where else are you going to get independence wars, cowboy warlords, and a opium induced march across the Andes.

Surely the classic film for this time period would have to be War and Peace. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but I remember it beginning shortly before Austerlitz(1805), then their was as seen about the Treaty of Tilsit, and of course the 1812 invasion and Borodino(1812)

·
Registered
24,382 Posts
Not too sure about them being realistic, but Gangs of New York is a decent movie; and if you're into it, Les Misérables really hits the feels. I've yet to see it, but Pride and Prejudice has very positive ratings as well.

Though, there are probably better smaller budget projects...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts