Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Newbie here. Howaya?

Hadn't seen this question asked or answered anywhere, so I was just wondering where, in your valuable opinions, would be the best places for INFPs to live?

Strange question maybe, but I currently live in an area where there are few people like me and am considering relocating. I literally don't find people I can talk to out here. I'm very creative and living in a very conformist, conservative area where new ideas are frowned upon. I'm sure most people think I'm pretty "weird," and I suppose I am as I seem to be pretty different from them.

But I'm just curious as to whether there are parts of the world where there are more INFPs? I know that the INFP personality type is supposed to be relatively rare, but is it rare everywhere or just in the US? Perhaps it's a more prevalent personality type in Canada, Australia or Europe, for example? Perhaps places where there are a lot of artists, such as Vancouver, Toronto, New York, San Francisco? Are there some places where INFPs are more welcomed and accepted than others? Where our personality type is actually valued rather than discouraged or even despised? Perhaps more "liberal" cities or countries?

Any thoughts? Anyone have the experience of living in a place where you feel most able to be yourself as an INFP? Where would you advise an INFP to live? (Please no snide remarks from trolls...)

:unsure:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been wondering about this as well. I imagine places where there are more people. There will be more of other types as well. But I think personality types group themselves together with others that are similar.

So, say you moved to New York City. You might have lots of business people, but you will have lots of artist their as well. The ratio might be the same as where you live still.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I vote Vancouver, just because I'm from BC and love it here. I will likely end up moving to Vancouver in the next few years, and I'd welcome anyone to this place.

I don't know if there are actually lots of INFPs here, but it's a beautiful place with a lot of art to soak in, Toronto as well.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Lol, I have a friend who lives in Vancouver and she hates it whenever she has to go to Toronto. She tells me the people in Toronto are just terrible and rude.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. It's way too hot. You have to have water with you wherever you go pretty much. I get along with the guys that live here really well. Phoenix men are really fun to hang out with, but the ladies are so catty. I can't keep any female friends for long because they all turn around and gossip behind my back and I don't tolerate that. I want a drama free life (or as drama free as possible). Occasionally I think it'd be nice to have lady friends that I can talk to about girl stuff but they have to prove their loyalty first.

Reactions: IcarusDreams

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
No trolling in here! :) Don't be afraid. 3 letters: NYC

It's up to you, dear friend. If you don't like cities, it won't suit you. However, knowing the environment in here and what you seem to be looking for, NYC might be it for you. It's certainly all about arts and individuality in many parts in here. You'll feel free-speaking from the point of view of somebody who came here to be himself as well (although it took a few years to get there.) I LOVE the city, and wouldn't change it for any other place on Earth-a dream come true for me, although the dreaming is far from over yet. Hope you find the place that will make you most happy!

And welcome. :) Feel free to be yoruself in here, and make no apologies for it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
everyone not from Toronto says Toronto is full of assholes, but very few of those people have been able to tell me how that is different from every other big city.

just an observation.

I do think west coast is more INFP friendly though.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
everyone not from Toronto says Toronto is full of assholes, but very few of those people have been able to tell me how that is different from every other big city.

just an observation.

I do think west coast is more INFP friendly though.
Certainly you jest! :{D

Just kidding, any place can be an "INFP" place as long as the INFP finds his own niche within. I also disagree with the notion of cities with a**hol*s, as if there would be ANY place in this world without those. NYC too is supposed to be inhabited by "rude" people, and it is all but a myth in my personal experience. Most people are nice, and the population is so diverse, that there's something catering to every type of individual out there, INFP or otherwise. I wouldn't doubt a INFP could be quite happy in your city as well (although of course, I am very biased about my NYC thing.)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I live in Australia and I'd say it's possibly ESTP/ESFP dominated.

However, there are specific areas, known as alternative communites,
where fairly large proportions of the population appear to be NF's.

In my younger years, I lived on some of these 'hippy' communes but
didn't know about mbti then. It's only upon reflection that I can see why
I felt so at home - infp and enfp's running rampant. Of course, only
an educated guess.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Certainly you jest! :{D

Just kidding, any place can be an "INFP" place as long as the INFP finds his own niche within. I also disagree with the notion of cities with a**hol*s, as if there would be ANY place in this world without those. NYC too is supposed to be inhabited by "rude" people, and it is all but a myth in my personal experience. Most people are nice, and the population is so diverse, that there's something catering to every type of individual out there, INFP or otherwise. I wouldn't doubt a INFP could be quite happy in your city as well (although of course, I am very biased about my NYC thing.)

I don't think actually said I dislike Toronto, in fact, quite the opposite, I love big cities because I can feel completely anonymous, I feel free, sometimes I'll go around and pretend to be someone I'm not, try on my ENTJ suit for a while, because nobody gives a shit, and I like that.

and people in cities aren't assholes, there is no malice or whatever, I would describe it more as being self-absorbed out of necessity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in Australia too, and having lived in Western Sydney my whole life, it's not the best place for an INFP. I've only encountered hostility and confusion from others regarding what I take enjoyment from and what they do. I've been to Melbourne once which was definitely better, but based on the few days I was there it's hard to judge.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Part of me thinks Colorado would be a good place for INFP because it'd be easy for him/her to isolate themselves in the mountains to read or just enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. I know I'm a huge nature lover. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
What does it matter what city is outside? Dont we stay at home most of the time? :) But I do believe I can live anywhere. But I dont like the time necessary to get use to new environment, so I have to like it where I live. ;)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
What does it matter what city is outside? Dont we stay at home most of the time? :)
I think that depends on the person. When it comes to intense social activities, I prefer staying home...but I'll never turn down a nice relaxing hike through the mountains. I love listening to waterfalls, birds chirping, and leaves rustling in the wind. It puts me at ease 100% of the time.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
In my own head has been and might forever be the best place for me..
where I live right now is INFP hell =(

·
Registered
339 Posts
No trolling in here! :) Don't be afraid. 3 letters: NYC

It's up to you, dear friend. If you don't like cities, it won't suit you. However, knowing the environment in here and what you seem to be looking for, NYC might be it for you. It's certainly all about arts and individuality in many parts in here. You'll feel free-speaking from the point of view of somebody who came here to be himself as well (although it took a few years to get there.) I LOVE the city, and wouldn't change it for any other place on Earth-a dream come true for me, although the dreaming is far from over yet. Hope you find the place that will make you most happy!

And welcome. :) Feel free to be yoruself in here, and make no apologies for it.
I'll echo this, NYC is an amazing place for people willing to go out and look for other like minded individuals, but thats only in the city imo. In my experience, Staten Island and Brooklyn tend to be less friendly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll echo this, NYC is an amazing place for people willing to go out and look for other like minded individuals, but thats only in the city imo. In my experience, Staten Island and Brooklyn tend to be less friendly.
NYC is nasty and ultra-expensive. I can see enjoying for a week on vacation but no way could I live there.

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
I wouldn't mind living on *Smart Planet*. With all the planets in the sky, I know SP (smart planet) has to be out there somewheres.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd probably have to say Goa India, especially during the early 90s goa trance scene. I'd kill to live there in the 90s. Everything about that place is beautiful, especially nature.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts