Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post the best methods/exploits of design flaws to get further in a game that the developers didn't count on you using.

For example, in Little Big Adventure 2, there is a point where you need to get to a queen who has been imprisoned. You can get inside the prison, but you can't get to the cell the queen is in, because there is a motion detector doorway that automatically closes the door towards the cell if you walk through it.

The proper way to solve this is to go to a factory somewhere else in the town, go through it fighting guards until you can hide yourself in a box which gets dumped in a warehouse on top of a stack of other boxes, after which you can climb to the roof, jump to the roof of the prison and drop into the cell of the queen.

However, there is an item in the game which is a time-bomb in the form of a walking penguin, which you can use to trigger the motion detector, skipping this entire part of the game.

While searching for a screenshot, I found a let's play where someone uses this method (skip to 10:52):

In the same game, you need to go around a volcano at some point, jumping over lava streams.

vulcano map.jpg

(The blue thing is your character, you need to go to where the red arrow is pointing).

However, instead of going left and jumping over the lava streams, you can go right and by performing the perfect jump, land on a tiny platform right next to where you need to go.

From the same Let's Play, this is how you're supposed to do it (skip to 21:00):

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Pirates of the Caribbean (the best pirate game I've played), you can loan gold from loan sharks. If you have loaned gold from one and talk to them, you have the option to pay it back, unless you don't have enough gold, in which case you can loan more. However, you can put your gold in containers and there happens to be a loan shark with a chest in the same building, allowing you to get as much gold as you want at the beginning of the game.

The only downside of this, which I only found out later, is that, even if you pay back your last loan, the game remembers how much you've loaned in total, but it only allows you to repay the last loan. The consequence is that after a little while, your reputation plummets and it's impossible to improve it.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Apparently, I have a bunch of thoughts on this XD.

In (almost) every city building game, there's a point where you can just hit fast forward and collect money. Then you can solve every problem with (you guessed it) money. In Sim City 4 you can build a city without any (many?) utilities and people will move in. Gain a big reserve of money; add education buildings and utilities, and wait.

Civilization: (5 and 6) AI has problems dealing with archers/ranged units. Any civilization choice with improved archers usually means early conquest and easy win.

A lot of platforming bosses punish hesitant players. Going fast and aggressive often works well.

Ogre Battle: Tarot cards and farming the necessary money to buy Tarot cards.

Astroneer (it's the good version of No Man's Sky): you can build a module that lets you trade resources for other resources. There's also a module that uses power (which is renewable) and creates fuel: which is a tradable resource.

You also have exploits used by speedrunners. But I think that's another post.

Final Fantasy Tactics: there's Math class; that lets you cast spells from other mage classes based on certain mathmatical properties. You can easily abuse this to cast high level magic on all of your enemies.

There are also major exploits used by speedrunners. Here's a few examples:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts