Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best toy that you have created when you were young?
For me i always make kites with my friends and a car that is made of can of sardines and wood...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Created? Probably ramps for my bike. Otherwise forts, as micknn says.

As for non-created toys... I fell from my first tree when I was around 5 or 6 and never fell afterward, but kept on climb'n.

Then a bike, I could destroy. (I think I went through about a bike a year that I'd end up breaking in a permanent way, like tearing or bending the handlebars or frame.) First bike at 8 if I recall correctly.

Then knives, I could throw, maybe around 10'ish.

Yah I know I'm Y, but seriously... there ain't no X in me.

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
Made barbie doll furniture out of all kinds of stuff with my sister, jewelry and dolls out of flowers, kites, and built forts...yep from one end of the spectrum to the other...I was more of a tomboy!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was more into fossicking, Id scavenge the roadside screes for fossils and crystals. Another one of my favourite past times was digging what i called the clay farm in my parents back yard, I'd extract the clay and make pottery. Around 5,6,and 7 years of age.
At around nine or ten my dad bought an engine home and instucted me to dismantle it, and Id spend many happy hours covered in engine oil and chatting away to the tools.
About the same time he instructed me in the use of power tools, drills, grinders, sanders, planers, routers, circular saw, table saw, and arc welder. Then on the weekends Id set up shop and make stuff, boats, billy carts, sling shots, cross bows, skate boards and all sorts of 10 year old crap. I remember making a pinball machine which was the envy of my 6th grade class mates.
I found out the location of the refuse sites from early settlement days, and proceed to excavate for old bottle and crockery.
In my late childhood and early teens I started on a pyromaniac spree, mixing hydrocarbons, and combustible chemicals with other materials to produce highly volatile substances. I remember seeing the lady next door cosumed by a fireball when she asked me to help burn off some prunings, I had just the right concoction to get it burning I remember saying. Wooooooffff
Never really had one focus, if I had toys the would be dismantled and examined.I was into everything. the rest of the kids were at skate parks, water parks and kicking the footy with each other. I was always constucting in the back yard, or in the middle of nowhere digging a hole, or doing some random unusual activity not condusive to a normal childs behaviour.
Not much has changed.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I had a Holly Hobby house that you could fit several kids in at once and a table and chairs that was a lot of fun. I was jealous of my friend's Big Wheel.

Reactions: petite libellule

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
MUCH of what I played with had to be crafted! I loved making "tents" Indoors. Sometimes we used EVERY sheet and blanket out of the family linen closet!

Others:

Doll house with 100% of the furniture crafted from household items
Snow forts/sand castles
1 attempt at a tree house out of cardboard boxes (mom put a stop to that one)
Terrain for my HO scale train set (we could not buy and real stuff, so had to make trees, tunnels, buildings etc)

The most memorable: mom was processing green beans from the garden and needed to keep us out of her way. So... she gave us a bowl of unsnapped beans and assorted craft supplies to make green bean animals/machines/architecture from. To this day I think some of those creations were the best of my child hood. I was especially proud of my green bean mantis!

Now I thank mom for encouraging creative play. I can easily entertain myself as an adult.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I actually made 8-10" superheroes out of toothpicks/q-tips (as the skeleton) and then tissue paper (for the flesh). Then I made little construction paper costumes for them. I had the entire Justice League of Superheroes, plus I think a few Marvel heroes as well.

Reactions: petite libellule

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
What is the best toy that you have created when you were young?
For me i always make kites with my friends and a car that is made of can of sardines and wood...
Paper Dolls, Cardboard Houses with giant boxes, Blanket Forts! Snow Forts, Kites, Paper Airplanes,
MUD PIES!!!

I used to make a barbie couch for my barbies with a rolled up dish towel.
I still have some mad skills with improvised doll furniture :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts