Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I used to be a hardcore gamer in my teens and went to competitions. Back then I played more multiplayer games than I do now like COD and Super Smash Bros., but it's all single-player games for me. I like Zelda games because of the critical thinking involved; I look at it like solving puzzles. Star Fox will always have a special place in my heart too.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Games which have held my interest over the years, and which I still hold in high acclaim. PC master-race stuff, mainly. These are in no particular order, top 3 aside. They are probably my favourite all time games.

Thief Gold
Thief II: The Metal Age
Deus Ex (the original - of course)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II / III
Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic (that twist!)
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Streets of Rage 2
Road Rash 2
Unreal Tournament / 2003 / 2004 (online competitive; instagib CTF)
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Tribes 2
Tomb Raider (original)
Crusader No Remorse
Aliens Versus Predator (~2000 version)
Left 4 Dead
Counter Strike 1.6
Battlefield franchise
Wipeout ('95 to present)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
World of Warcraft (played from launch up until about 2011 - oops)
Eve Online
Loads of other stuff I can't remember.

Basically, I've been an avid gamer since the age of about 7 (I'm now 29). Unfortunately, I don't get much time these days because I have a wife and child. However, I have recently purchased Alien: Isolation in the Steam sale. I expect to get around to playing that some time in the not too distant future.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Road Rash 2
Hah, wow... haven't thought about that game since I was in middle school. So much fun! That one and Skitchin' (they were out around the same time) are the only racing games that've been able to suck me in for hours upon hours.

Reactions: pmj85

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Deus Ex - all three of them. Beware, it'll feed your Fi.
Never played Invisible War - how do you think it compares to the other two?

The original is still something I would consider to be one of the greatest games made. The last one was fun mechanically (modern control system and engine) but less interesting from a depth point of view.

However, I have recently purchased Alien: Isolation in the Steam sale. I expect to get around to playing that some time in the not too distant future.
It's terrifying. But maybe it's just because I'm a scaredy cat.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention the Crysis trilogy in my post. Those were pretty great. Excellent graphics, good controls, interesting story, long campaigns. I think the second one was my favorite.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Never played Invisible War - how do you think it compares to the other two?...But maybe it's just because I'm a scaredy cat.
Cut the quote wrong. Anyway - DX:IW - disappointing - I'm sure you read the reviews. But I have them all anyway simply because it completes the story. I like different worlds though.

I'm a scaredy cat with Amnesia and Doom 3 - in both cases because I don't have the tools to get the job done. I mean, seriously, no weapons? And not being able to tape a flashlight to your weapon?

Another one if you like slightly unusual strategy is Homeworld 1, HW:Cataclysm and Homeworld 2. Its completely 3D strategy in space, and the storyline is spectacular. However, there is one drawback if you like spaceships (Stargate, Star Wars, etc). I used to collect spaceships and I have a habit of collecting well past the population limit. Of course, the AI then responds, and eventually it leads to a ridiculous furball. And yes/no, I refuse to play Eve Online for this reason.

ss00001.jpg ss00003.jpg ss00004.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Anything from gog.com. :joyous: That's my era. I am unabashedly old-school and happily admit I'm out of touch with today's games. I do want to play Fallout 4 (I loved 1-3) but I don't want to worry about keeping my hardware up to date to play the latest and greatest anymore. Plus, older games are more cerebral. Most games nowadays are simplified so that everybody can play them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Strategy games like Civ 5 and Age of Empires. RPG Games like the Fallout and TES series.

I might recommend Mother 3 to anyone trying to get their Fi out. I personally love the game for personal reasons but cannot deny it's ridiculously sad at times.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
May as well also mention the games that have been most memorable to me, for anyone that wants recommendations. In no particular order:

- Deus Ex (as mentioned before)
- Unreal Tournament (original only)
- Team Fortress 2
- Civilization series
- Metal Gear Solid series (1-3 are essential)
- Rayman (original)
- ICO and Shadow of the Colossus
- Okami (tenks @lolthevoidlol)
- Half Life 2 plus episodes 1 and 2
- Portal and Portal 2
- GTA games and Red Dead Redemption
- Witcher 3
- Mass Effect and Dragon Age series (I'd add Star Wars KOTOR but haven't got round to playing it yet)
- XCOM Enemy Unknown
- NBA 2K series (yes I like sports games, bite me)

If you like to play locally with friends, Street Fighter, Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros games are all fantastic.

·
Registered
INTJ
1 Posts
I've finished A LOT of games, and I agree that it's indeed important to realize what games give you more (experiences you want that you don't get irl) than they take (time) to avoid regret.

My top 6 favorite games:
I. Combat

• Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Best SW fighting system I know, no "ME SMASH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON AND WATCH RANDOM ANIMATIONS PLAY OUT". Lightsabers are actually dangerous there and require timing.
  • Mount&Blade: Warband - Best medieval fighting system and fantasy too, if you factor mods in. From what I know, M&B: Bannerlord successfully improves upon it (waiting for it on GOG).
II. Setting
  • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Allows me to enjoy my melancholia and dark outlook on life, I beat the game while replaying Deftones "Around the Fur" for the "big mood" combo.
  • Lord of the Rings Online - This interpretation is true to Tolkien's lore and gave me a glimpse into how beautiful the world he imagined really was. I regret wasting time on endgame, though, and the latest expansions feel a bit stale, my last favorite expansion was Rise of Isengard. Nowadays I come back due to nostalgia, as a retired player.
III. Freedom
  • The Sims 3 & Medieval - Everything is the way I want it to be, I can visualize different scenarios and thought experiments about life.
  • Saints Row series - Cheers me up and puts me in a naughty goofy way of thinking, maybe even allows me to interact with my ESFP aspirational side.
*. Important games that didn't make it into TOP6:
  • Deus Ex - A believable "same problems, different decade" dystopia somehow manages to be a comfy experience.
  • Gothic 1&2 - Doesn't have mercy for newbies in Chapter 1, but quite enjoyable for those who like to figure out different tricky ways to complete quests. Can burn out completionists like me on replays, though.
  • Unreal Tournament 1999 - A quick round works well to alleviate stress and teach me humility.
  • Quake 3 - Same as UT99, but more badass and straightforward.
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Best wild west game I know, though Bound in Blood has multiplayer (now offline).
  • Kenshi - Work your way up from complete bottom in a post-apocalyptic world that's out to get you. An exercise in patience when you manage 30 people in a fight to avoid limb loss (or worse), though.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is my top fave, even after 13 years. My ultimate fave of the series is still the first game, 'Shadow of Chernobyl', with the Oblivion Lost 2010 mod.

I also like the Borderlands series. The first one nails that desolate Mad Max vibe better than the later ones.

Undertale isn't really my style of game when it comes to gameplay, but I love the story and characters (basically Rocko's Modern Life reinterpreted by Tim Burton), especially Alphys who's the most realistic portrayal of a "turbulent" INTJ in pop culture. As per typical for an INTJ-T, she's often mistyped as an INFP. Anyway, since Jack Black is fellow Undertale trash, I made this as a "Tribute."

Then of course, there's the Half-Life series. Btw, MatPat's game theory of The G-Man being Sans is totally wrong. The G-Man is clearly Gaster. What else would the "G" stand for?

Lately, I've been trying to revive Zone Sportsmanship Challenges. It's a concept that some other hardcore zoners and my funky self came up with back in the early twenty-TEENS. The Soul of Perseverance compels me to emphasize that it's "twenty-TEENS," NOT "twenty-TENS." The number "ten" is only pluralized when discussing numeric values or physical quantities, not decades. There's only one number ten. Ergo, the year 2015, for example, is in the twenty-teens. The number "fifteen" is not a "ten," it's a "teen."

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I also do video game-related videos that pertain to something other than gameplay. Here's a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. music video I made using the theme song from 'Friday the 13th, Part 5'.

The original Flashback was my favorite game back in the early '90s. I never played the DOS version, but here's the opening cutscene of that version spliced together with Contra music and sound effects.

This one was at least partially inspired by Gopnik Sans and "Hardlovania" (Megalovania in the style of Hardbass). It's Alphys's theme spliced together with bits and pieces of the Cordon and Yantar themes from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. That's right! I wasn't the first to mix Undertale and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. together!

Of course, I had to make a trib vid for Toby Fox, himself! He slipped a Trigun reference into the True Pacifist route of Undertale (which is why some of us call it "True VASHifist," especially me), so I used part of the theme music from Trigun.

I originally made this years ago-go. Who other than me would come up with something like that? \8-P

·
Registered
INTJ
309 Posts
Well you're right, it is just phone games these days haha. I play:

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Dragonball Legends

I was trying to get a Nintendo Switch to play the new Pokemon games but all the consoles everywhere are sold out

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
538 Posts
The only game my friend really plays is Call of Duty. He has no one else to hang out with him, so I ended up playing every single addition of the series with him since Modern Warfare 3.
I don’t really enjoy the series, but I’m really good at it since I’ve played so much of it.

I’m not nearly as much into gaming as I used to be, but I prefer either strategy games (Turn-based RPGs), or games with a strong story in it. Survival games with resource management are great too.

Also, any game that has micromanaging aspects to it are awesome. I love creating plans, and efficient strategies to get things done my own way. If the game gives me the freedom to do that, it has a thumbs up in my book.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts