Personality Cafe banner

Best Video Games for INTJs?

[INTJ] 
15K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Judson Joist 
#1 ·
I know the majority of you play video games, don't lie to me! Even if it is basic crap on your phone I want to know about it.

So what video games do you play and why is it good for your INTJ-self?

#3 · (Edited)
I'll just list some games I have played and my impressions of them. In no particular order.

TERA (Free):
This game is a great mindless grind game. If you're bored and want to kill some weekend time, here is a great game for doing nothing rewarding or intellectually stimulating. I like the dynamic combat system. It's not tab-target based. You actually have to dodge the monsters' attacks or else you die. I like that. That makes it really fun. Healing in this game absolutely sucks, though, because a lot of the heals are skill-shots. So if you like to play a healer, this game will teach you how to hate playing a healer. Just picture being in a boss fight wherein the boss just did a huge aoe skill on your entire team and you have to top everyone's hp up super quickly or else you're all going to wipe, but everyone is moving around all over the place and you have to LAND SKILL SHOTS ON THEM while they're running from the boss and cavorting all over the damn screen. While also trying not to die yourself.

Portal/Portal 2 (Not Free):
I don't really view stand-alone games like this as "video games." Video games to me are MMOs. Portal is not an MMO. Portal is, however, a damn good game. So intellectually stimulating, as well the story line is cool as fuck. Really loved Portal 2. The atmosphere of the game is seriously stunning to me. Love it so much. I fell in love with the chamber designs and overall mood of the game while playing it. Love it so much. Definitely a world you can get lost in.

League of Legends (Free):
I have a love/hate with LoL. If you just play it casually, you will probably like it. Especially if you play it with friends. Friends are key in LoL. You can't play it solo and expect to enjoy it. Unless you're one of those robots who ends up becoming pro at the game by spamming solo queue. It's very, very team-reliant, which is why I suggest friends. And Skype. It can be very fun to play with friends, even if you are losing. Which you should be doing about half the time, as the match maker system auto-corrects after every game played, always shooting for a 50% win/loss rate.

Trove (Free):
I really, really like this game. I wish I could tell you why. It's something about how simple it is combined with how immersive it is. It's similar to Minecraft and similar to League of Legends. I'll explain. The world is made up of blocks like in Minecraft, but you have different classes you can play as, like in League of Legends. And you can swap classes at any time. And you level up those classes to a max level, at which point you can not level up that class any more, but you can of course still play the class. And ya there are many classes to choose from. The more you play, the more reward points you earn that will let you unlock more classes--just like in LoL. But Trove is an MMO, not a MMOBA like LoL. Trove has a nice community-based playstyle. . . by that I mean that people group up tons in this game because there is no incentive to play solo. And tons of incentive to group up. And so you'll never be without people to play with. So I really love that. And there's no party system--to receive group rewards, you need only to be near other players. So easy. It's really great. I would recommend downloading this game and just trying it if you're interested. It's on Steam. Free. The gear in the game is very obtainable by everyone. It drops from monsters that you can solo. But grouping obviously makes this easier. And there's no grinding for hours and hours to get a particular drop because the game's crafting system lets you customize any weapon you get into the exact weapon you want to have. It's seriously great. Can't say enough good things about it. Seriously, ask me about it if you're curious.

Rift (Free):
This game is not much different from other MMOs. This game looks similar to WoW, but the graphics of Rift are much, much better. I did enjoy Rift. Probably because I enjoy MMOs, and Rift is an MMO. So . . . go figure that I liked it. But to be frank, it really doesn't bring anything new or special to the MMO genre. It lets you play as every class on the same character--simply open up the menu interface in-game and switch your class in seconds. Really nice feature. So that's different from other MMOs. Similar to Archeage in that respect, though. If you have any specific questions about this game, I'd be happy to answer. But as of right now, I'm struggling to come up with things to say. I played til max level twice and even stuck around a few months after that. Healing in this game is extremely fun. One of my favourite games for healing hands-down.

Archeage (Free):
I couldn't get into this game at all. Overhyped, in my opinion. It's sort of one of those mindless grind games that tries to be super immersive. And maybe it is super immersive for some people. For me personally it just seemed tedious as hell.

Runescape Members (Not Free):
RuneScape offers a feature (well, many features actually) that other games do not have. For me, this feature is arbitrage. I love arbitrage. Arbitrage keeps me playing the game because I love predicting the markets and making bank off being right. This feature is obviously optional, though, and you have no need to indulge in arbitrage to be financially successful in the game. Or even to enjoy the game. But it's definitely what I enjoy most about the game that many other games never offer at all. Quite sad, really. Many aspects of the game are AFKable, so you can have RuneScape running in the background while you play another game, such as Trove, in the foreground. In this way, I kind of view RuneScape as like a very sophisticated chat room.

#4 ·
Since I dont have a decent pc right now, Im limited to low end games. Those are:

Doom 2 - so simple yet so complex. Lots of multiplayer fun, lots of mods and mappacks. I mostly play survival

Dwarf Fortress - arguably the most complex open world sandbox game out there. If you like extreme levels of detail, for example reading about the entire lineage and achievements of some random creature and a procedually generated, massive, fully simulated worlds. The fort mode has you in relative control of a group of dwarves. Its like sim city combined with lord of the rings. Im there for the strategy and management aspects. The random nature of the game is also fun

#5 · (Edited)
I play games that are original, lately of course I played Witcher 3, Far Cry, Dying Light, I avoid games like LoL or Call of Duties, I'm not interested in competing at video games, I played Runescape 10 years ago, some mmoRPGs in the past, when LineAge2 was popular, not playing anymore, they are all the same, other than that Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft (boy I love minecraft, especially modded).

I try a lot of games, but actually I don't finish much because I get bored before.

Oh dear, I almost forgot about Demons Souls series, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne.

#9 ·
I like video games with either deep gameplay systems or storylines, or both. My favorite series is the Souls series. Dark Souls in particular is my favorite game of all time. Its atmospheric world really draws me in, and I appreciate the lore-heavy and subtle plot featured in it. I appreciate the challenge and old-school feel of its gameplay, and the innovative features it brought to the online aspect of the game. It also has larger-than-life boss battles that are iconic and memorable.

Other top games of all time for me include: Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, Metroid Prime, Silent Hill 2, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Mass Effect 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm just about to complete Demon's Souls (Platinum trophy) and I know that I'll play Dark Souls and other games from From Software for sure :)

About question... Video games is my big hobby, I was playing these since I was a kid on PS1 or illegal NES version. I would even say that is my passion.

☑ Alan Wake
☑ Alan Wake's American Nightmare
☑ Amnesia: The Dark Descent + Justine
☑ Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
☑ Assassin's Creed
☑ The Basement Collection
☑ Braid
☑ Crash Bandicoot
☑ Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
☑ Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
☑ Crash Team Racing
☑ Dear Esther
☑ DLC Quest
☑ Dynamite Jack
☑ Faerie Solitaire
☑ Far Cry
☑ Fez
☑ God Of War
☑ God Of War II
☑ Gothic
☑ Gothic II: Night Of The Raven
☑ Gran Turismo
☑ Grand Theft Auto
☑ Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969
☑ Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961
☑ Grand Theft Auto 2
☑ Grand Theft Auto III
☑ Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
☑ Grand Theft Auto: Advance
☑ Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
☑ Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
☑ Half-Life
☑ Half-Life: Opposing Force
☑ Half-Life: Blue Shift
☑ Heroes Of Might And Magic: A Strategic Quest
☑ Heroes Of Might And Magic II: The Succession Wars
☑ Heroes Of Might And Magic II: The Price Of Loyalty
☑ Hitman: Codename 47
☑ Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
☑ Hitman: Contracts
☑ Hitman: Blood Money
☑ Hitman: Sniper Challenge
☑ Hitman: Absolution
☑ Hotline Miami
☑ Just Cause
☑ Left 4 Dead
☑ Left 4 Dead 2
☑ Limbo
☑ Lyne
☑ Mafia
☑ Mafia II
☑ Max Payne
☑ Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne
☑ Medal Of Honor
☑ Medal Of Honor: Underground
☑ MediEvil
☑ MediEvil 2
☑ Metro 2033
☑ Mirror's Edge
☑ Offspring Fling!
☑ Orcs Must Die!
☑ Orcs Must Die! 2
☑ Painkiller + Painkiller: Battle Out Of Hell
☑ Painkiller: Overdose
☑ Painkiller: Resurrection
☑ Painkiller: Redemption
☑ Painkiller: Recurring Evil
☑ Painkiller: Hell & Damnation
☑ Payday: The Heist
☑ Penumbra: Overture
☑ Penumbra: Black Plague + Requiem
☑ The Plan
☑ Plants vs. Zombies
☑ Portal
☑ Portal 2
☑ Serious Sam: The First Encounter
☑ Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
☑ Shank
☑ Silent Hill
☑ Spyro The Dragon
☑ Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
☑ Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
☑ Spyro: Season Of Ice
☑ Syphon Filter
☑ Thomas Was Alone
☑ Tony Hawk's Skateboarding
☑ Trine
☑ Trine 2
☑ The Walking Dead
☑ The Witcher
That is the whole list of singleplayer games I've completed and will even become bigger hahahah. All of them completed with all achievements, trophies, 100% etc. Most of these games are really worth to play, but that depends of course what are you looking for. I think Hitman series is actually nice for INTJ, you have to think about how to eleminate your targets without any alarms etc. Other series are really good as well, just ask about something and I'll try answer.

My Steam ID is "Kamfeth" if author of the topic is interested :>

#11 · (Edited)
I'll just list the games I like. Plenty of INTJs aren't even into video games so it seems pointless to generalize any connection between a game and INTJness, and I don't like some of the ones others have listed.

I like:
Rift
Dragon Age Inquisition
Shadows of Mordor
Guitar Hero 3
Prey
Killzone (all of them)
Battlefield 3 and 4 (the only pvp multiplayer I like. Destroying environments makes things strategically more difficult and interesting).
WoW (hate myself a little for listing it)
Civilization (I liked 4 the best)
Ghost Recon (Future soldier was pretty fun)
Fable
Zelda (Ocarina of Time is my favorite)
Darksiders 2
Mass Effect trilogy
Saints Row (all of them, hilarious)
Mercinaries
Spec Ops: The Line

I like a little of everything except racing games and sports games.

#17 ·
Currently I'm playing (PC) The Talos Experiment, Torchlight II, and (Xbox 360) Street Fighter X Tekken.

The Talos Experiment- feeds my need to figure things out, and adore all the geeky things in it.

Torchlight II- great "filler" game, as TTE can make me a bit nauseous and I refuse to turn down the speed.

Street Fighter X Tekken- this is our family game. I love fighting games...helps to get out all my frustrations when constantly asked "Are you OK?", "Are you mad?", etc.

The question about single player games:
I can, have, and will play MMO games (ultima online is the best game IMO), but I loathe having to follow/wait for people, hear them whine, and usually am more efficient at figuring out the game and running by myself. The only person I've successfully ran with is my husband (ENTP) and even then it was short burst and off I went on my merry way. :)

#18 ·
I really enjoy "World of Warcraft" and "Star Wars: the Old Republic". They are good for my INTJ-self because they allow me to be in full control and offer solo-PvE as well as leveling - which is what I like. I don't enjoy playing/teaming with others, but I like that they are MMORPG's none the less. I like the look of them as well.

#19 ·
I'm going to pimp out my favorite old school game, Chip's Challenge. You can get the original AND Chip's Challenge 2 on steam. It's a wonderful tile-based logic and strategy game that has been around since 1989. It's simplistic and complex all at the same time.

The premise of the game is that you are a nerd named Chip navigating your way through Melinda the Mental Marvel's clubhouse. You have to collect computer chips and solve increasingly complex puzzles in order to complete each level. It's a great way to waste your weekend.

#20 ·
I'm not an INTJ, but here are some of the games I like anyway:

Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Portal 2
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy VI
Metal Gear Solid series
Pokémon series
Mass Effect 2
Age of Empires II
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

#22 ·
I used to be a hardcore gamer in my teens and went to competitions. Back then I played more multiplayer games than I do now like COD and Super Smash Bros., but it's all single-player games for me. I like Zelda games because of the critical thinking involved; I look at it like solving puzzles. Star Fox will always have a special place in my heart too.

#28 ·
Never played Invisible War - how do you think it compares to the other two?

The original is still something I would consider to be one of the greatest games made. The last one was fun mechanically (modern control system and engine) but less interesting from a depth point of view.

However, I have recently purchased Alien: Isolation in the Steam sale. I expect to get around to playing that some time in the not too distant future.
It's terrifying. But maybe it's just because I'm a scaredy cat.

#25 ·
Games which have held my interest over the years, and which I still hold in high acclaim. PC master-race stuff, mainly. These are in no particular order, top 3 aside. They are probably my favourite all time games.

Thief Gold
Thief II: The Metal Age
Deus Ex (the original - of course)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II / III
Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic (that twist!)
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Streets of Rage 2
Road Rash 2
Unreal Tournament / 2003 / 2004 (online competitive; instagib CTF)
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Tribes 2
Tomb Raider (original)
Crusader No Remorse
Aliens Versus Predator (~2000 version)
Left 4 Dead
Counter Strike 1.6
Battlefield franchise
Wipeout ('95 to present)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
World of Warcraft (played from launch up until about 2011 - oops)
Eve Online
Loads of other stuff I can't remember.

Basically, I've been an avid gamer since the age of about 7 (I'm now 29). Unfortunately, I don't get much time these days because I have a wife and child. However, I have recently purchased Alien: Isolation in the Steam sale. I expect to get around to playing that some time in the not too distant future.

#27 ·
Road Rash 2
Hah, wow... haven't thought about that game since I was in middle school. So much fun! That one and Skitchin' (they were out around the same time) are the only racing games that've been able to suck me in for hours upon hours.

Reactions: pmj85
#29 ·
Oh I forgot to mention the Crysis trilogy in my post. Those were pretty great. Excellent graphics, good controls, interesting story, long campaigns. I think the second one was my favorite.

#33 · (Edited)
Anything from gog.com. :joyous: That's my era. I am unabashedly old-school and happily admit I'm out of touch with today's games. I do want to play Fallout 4 (I loved 1-3) but I don't want to worry about keeping my hardware up to date to play the latest and greatest anymore. Plus, older games are more cerebral. Most games nowadays are simplified so that everybody can play them.

#34 ·
Strategy games like Civ 5 and Age of Empires. RPG Games like the Fallout and TES series.

I might recommend Mother 3 to anyone trying to get their Fi out. I personally love the game for personal reasons but cannot deny it's ridiculously sad at times.

#35 · (Edited)
May as well also mention the games that have been most memorable to me, for anyone that wants recommendations. In no particular order:

- Deus Ex (as mentioned before)
- Unreal Tournament (original only)
- Team Fortress 2
- Civilization series
- Metal Gear Solid series (1-3 are essential)
- Rayman (original)
- ICO and Shadow of the Colossus
- Okami (tenks @lolthevoidlol)
- Half Life 2 plus episodes 1 and 2
- Portal and Portal 2
- GTA games and Red Dead Redemption
- Witcher 3
- Mass Effect and Dragon Age series (I'd add Star Wars KOTOR but haven't got round to playing it yet)
- XCOM Enemy Unknown
- NBA 2K series (yes I like sports games, bite me)

If you like to play locally with friends, Street Fighter, Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros games are all fantastic.

#36 ·
I've finished A LOT of games, and I agree that it's indeed important to realize what games give you more (experiences you want that you don't get irl) than they take (time) to avoid regret.

My top 6 favorite games:
I. Combat

• Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Best SW fighting system I know, no "ME SMASH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON AND WATCH RANDOM ANIMATIONS PLAY OUT". Lightsabers are actually dangerous there and require timing.
  • Mount&Blade: Warband - Best medieval fighting system and fantasy too, if you factor mods in. From what I know, M&B: Bannerlord successfully improves upon it (waiting for it on GOG).
II. Setting
  • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Allows me to enjoy my melancholia and dark outlook on life, I beat the game while replaying Deftones "Around the Fur" for the "big mood" combo.
  • Lord of the Rings Online - This interpretation is true to Tolkien's lore and gave me a glimpse into how beautiful the world he imagined really was. I regret wasting time on endgame, though, and the latest expansions feel a bit stale, my last favorite expansion was Rise of Isengard. Nowadays I come back due to nostalgia, as a retired player.
III. Freedom
  • The Sims 3 & Medieval - Everything is the way I want it to be, I can visualize different scenarios and thought experiments about life.
  • Saints Row series - Cheers me up and puts me in a naughty goofy way of thinking, maybe even allows me to interact with my ESFP aspirational side.
*. Important games that didn't make it into TOP6:
  • Deus Ex - A believable "same problems, different decade" dystopia somehow manages to be a comfy experience.
  • Gothic 1&2 - Doesn't have mercy for newbies in Chapter 1, but quite enjoyable for those who like to figure out different tricky ways to complete quests. Can burn out completionists like me on replays, though.
  • Unreal Tournament 1999 - A quick round works well to alleviate stress and teach me humility.
  • Quake 3 - Same as UT99, but more badass and straightforward.
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Best wild west game I know, though Bound in Blood has multiplayer (now offline).
  • Kenshi - Work your way up from complete bottom in a post-apocalyptic world that's out to get you. An exercise in patience when you manage 30 people in a fight to avoid limb loss (or worse), though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.