Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to plan a trip with an INTJ? My friend's weakness seems to be laziness, so I think it's up to me to make it happen. We have a few days (about half a week), and I'm not too concerned about having an "itinerary" but I would like to have an idea of what we're going to do on some of the days, and leave other days open to whatever.

My dad is also an INTJ, and his idea of a trip is driving somewhere, just being in a new place, and seeing some of the sights. A little unexciting, but I love my dad nevertheless. As the eldest, though I've always been assigned the task of figuring out our activities or major things we should do/logistics/places/times/prices. And once I give him all this information, he comes up with the driving routes and a "schedule" of when we drive from one place to the next (and I take care of the rest). In other words, we have our daughter-father routine that's been well-established over the years, so we know what to do.

It's a bit different with my friends though - INTJ, ISTJ, INTP. I don't want to just decide all the activities I want to do and impose them on everyone. But my INTJ friend and I are sort of in charge of everything and everyone's been busy and is "OK" with anything. I need to get some sense of what everyone's interested in or wiling to do, so I can plan/make a vision for our trip. I especially need to coordinate with my INTJ! but she is quite busy and I don't want to "bug" her. What's a good way to get an INTJ off their butt...? or overall a good way to proceed in planning a trip?

·
Registered
101 Posts
hmmm... I also have a hard time getting off my butt... I like to help people figure out how to do the things that they want to do... so you should probably know what you want to do first... In order to have everyone involved in the trip events and still make decisive decisions about your itinerary, I would suggest that you think about what you want to do, with them. Your INTJ friend will probably tell you up front if there is anything specific that they are dying to do on this trip, but it never hurts to ask. I think that if you need to get the INTJ off their butt, then you need to ask for their help on how to accomplish something. That will probably be enough. Maybe.

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
Hmm...
My idea of a trip is: going to a new place, see a couple of sights and get back home.
Personally, I find all that walking around towns and whatever a waste of time. I would rather go to a museum or some other cultural/historic place instead of walking for hours to scour the tourist shops and hotspots.

For me, plastering a pre-made schedule on my face without consulting me and then expecting me to allow myself to get dragged into something as ridiculous as a luau class, is the best way to get me in a crap mood for the whole trip.

That's how I am but I'm sure other INTJ's will have different views or likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah - exactly. I would also feel pissed off if someone plastered a pre-made schedule without consulting me. In this sense I think we function the same way, or I lean towards INTJ tendencies.

But that's the point. I want to consult/make plans together, but my friend is unavailable and too busy even though things are coming soon... I don't want to just GO with no plans. We only have half a week.. and to be frank, I love traveling, and the worst part is if you just sit around and spend half the time figuring out what sights we should see. I'd rather have some of that laid out before going. I want to consult with everyone, but everyone's too busy to talk about it, even though we are going for sure.

This is the thing. I just can't function without having some sort of idea or things planned out. I'm fine with just seeing some sights, but how are we even going to do that if we dont even know when we're going to meet that day, etc. I mean, I'm fine with flexibility and spontaneity, but I think there's a minimum amount of structure I want when I travel. I want to have things planned to a certain degree so I know what to expect; one thing I hate most is surprises and not knowing what to expect.

My idea of "planning":
- Set time and dates we are meeting to GO
- research places to stay, book
- Pull up some maps to the sights we want to go.
- Print out activities /places we are potentially doing
(all of this should be done together I think.. and once we get there, we can figure out exactly what were doing)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts