Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, whenever I try and sit down and work, I get hopelessly distracted by literally anything and everything around me.

Fellow INFPs, what do you do to avert this?! Where are your best hidey-holes, and how do you find you work best?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I do get distracted when I work from home, but I don't see it as a bad thing, more like a refreshing thing. I love multitasking! Makes me feel alive... or something :tongue:

Now, when I worked in an office, I remember that I did my best work when left alone, when everybody in the room went for a break to the coffee room, I would stay and my concentration went from 50% to 100%. So yeah. Alone is the answer. This is because I feel more relaxed and like nobody is watching me, not necessarily because I am watching them/being distracted. What distracts me is the thought of being watched, does this make sense? I don't know how to explain it.

As for working from home, I used to be obsessed with staying within the confines of my working room/studio, but now I mix it up. One day I'm in the dining table in the livingroom, another day I sit on the carpet and work on the coffee table, another day in the studio... switching up the atmosphere has done wonders for my productivity, but I must be alone and in silence.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
For me, I need the urgency and immediacy of a person in front of me who needs something I can help them with right now. When I am alone I get too distracted and lose productivity. But when someone needs my support, I am rock solid and focused on the here and now.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Carpenter, outside all year long , equal between mental and physical, small company, very few rules and regulations. Show up on time, bust your ass and your good. If it wasn't for Minnesota winters it would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found that, too, actually! If I'm with someone and they aren't working then I get far too easily distracted, same goes for if we're both working, but if we're working on the same thing then I'm usually the one who becomes frustrated if they get distracted or go off topic. Weird.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I need some soft/ambient music in the background. Silence makes my mind race, which is why I can't do libraries. Some of the buildings on my campus with food centres/lounges are good for me for white noise and chitchat. I would say turning off the wifi works because that's where most of my distractions come from, but for most of my work I need the internet anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a delivery driver I really enjoy the independence and autonomy. It's just me, the road, my music and my thoughts with nobody hovering over my back. Hard to beat. I too get easily distracted though. By my own thoughts mostly. Just the nature of the breed, I guess.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
If I'm left alone, I'll get a lot of work done. I tend to be quite good at getting on with it, even if I don't feel like it, but in my ideal environment I can listen to music and not be interrupted. It also helps being in a very bland space with only the things I need for work around me.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Most of my work is done from home. The work itself is really mundane and tedious, but I like not having anyone breathing down my neck and no set hours. I can do my job however I want as long as I meet my deadlines. I can work any time of day or night, procrastinate, do it all at the beginning, etc.

Since it's difficult to focus on the tedium of my work, it's good that I can mix it up without repercussions and do things like toggle over here and see what people are talking about, watch @Sily 's current avatar, which I was mesmerized by for at least five minutes straight before moving on to the next comment :tongue:

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
So far, I've been happiest working quiet office jobs...I like being a receptionist and would especially like to work for a small preferably family-owned business with a few loyal customers as one.

I also prefer simple detailed work, because I'm not good at being logical outside of that kind of work if that makes any sense. I used to file about every single day for about a year and I never got sick of it. It was better than just about anything else they could have asked of me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do get distracted when I work from home, but I don't see it as a bad thing, more like a refreshing thing. I love multitasking! Makes me feel alive... or something :tongue:

Now, when I worked in an office, I remember that I did my best work when left alone, when everybody in the room went for a break to the coffee room, I would stay and my concentration went from 50% to 100%. So yeah. Alone is the answer. This is because I feel more relaxed and like nobody is watching me, not necessarily because I am watching them/being distracted. What distracts me is the thought of being watched, does this make sense? I don't know how to explain it.

As for working from home, I used to be obsessed with staying within the confines of my working room/studio, but now I mix it up. One day I'm in the dining table in the livingroom, another day I sit on the carpet and work on the coffee table, another day in the studio... switching up the atmosphere has done wonders for my productivity, but I must be alone and in silence.
the thought of being watched sums it up perfect for what drains me working in public

·
Registered
453 Posts
i had to write 100 short stories in one month, on my own time..
i just basically had to give myself a pep talk and get 50 done in 2 weeks and another 50 on the next..

i guess that was OK so far i wasnt bound by time or schedule. if only it paid enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts