I'm grateful guys.

Tell me about yourself.

• Fairly immature
  • Athletic
  • Competitive
  • Conflict-avoidant
  • Enjoy talking to people as much as they sometimes annoy me
  • Good temper, but rage or no anger
What do you do for a living and/or study and how did you come to choose or not choose that vocation and/or study?
I'm a psychology student at university. I enjoy learning about people so always found psychology interesting. Though I've always been motivated to earn a large amount of money, so was hesitant at first. Maybe I'll go into Occupational Psychology and work my way up.

What are your interests and hobbies?
Football, swimming, paintballing, poetry, how the world came to be, how it could have become.

I'm not very connected to myself in the sense of knowing what I want for myself. I struggle a lot with these questions because it actually takes a while for me to recall what I like and dislike. I like different things at different times and my hobbies are always changing.

What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
My weakness is in struggling to relax in conversations and constantly self-monitoring. I spend so much time making sure I don't stick out like a sore thumb that I have trouble connecting with people properly. It seems much easier for other people.

What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
My strengths probably lie in my sporting ability really. I like that I'm quick, agile, pick up things quickly, fairly strong.
I like that I can predict someone's next move a lot of the time. It helps in sports and conversations. I can finish someone's sentence if they're stumbling or know how to explain something to someone in a way that makes sense.

In what areas of your life would you like help?
Not getting so stressed over minor things. I'm a perfectionist. I have to do the best at whatever I do, if I'm going to compete then I better win.
I always seem to think that exams aren't going to go well, then they do and I feel bad for complaining to others that I'm not prepared.

What are your religious or spiritual beliefs and perspectives?
That's a difficult question. I've had religious/spiritual beliefs before, but not anymore when I started to really analyse things and work out where I couldn't make sense of certain principles and perspectives.

I like the idea of karma though. It makes the most sense really, and for reasons that seem obvious enough for me to not explain.

What did you do last Friday?

Ermmmmm. I have difficulty remembering even though it was yesterday. I studied for the most part, did some tricep dips as I was waiting for food to cook, drank lots of tea, tried to count the amount of pictures on a board my housemates made (but got mixed up at about 54).

I've been home alone for 4 days now and friends aren't back to uni yet so I just study and do pull ups using my staircase, tricep dips, stand in the garden for some sun and listen to songs.

Is this restaurant run properly?

No my waitresses (housemates) aren't back from holiday break so I'm forced to eat my crap cooking. I have no care for flavor when I eat food, and never really have. I can have potatoes, peanut butter, broccoli and tuna for dinner and be satisfied. Today I had an egg sandwich with bbq sauce, yum.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The only thing that convinced me of LSI over IEI was this:
I like that I can predict someone's next move a lot of the time. It helps in sports and conversations. I can finish someone's sentence if they're stumbling or know how to explain something to someone in a way that makes sense.
A thinking-dom would be good at articulating thoughts clearly and logically.

And this:
My weakness is in struggling to relax in conversations and constantly self-monitoring. I spend so much time making sure I don't stick out like a sore thumb that I have trouble connecting with people properly. It seems much easier for other people.
...is either Fe-inferior or social awkwardness. A lot of the other things could apply to both types. But I'm not really seeing the Ni. And, if we are to consider stereotypes, you look a like a typical LSI.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing that convinced me of LSI over IEI was this:

A thinking-dom would be good at articulating thoughts clearly and logically.

And this:

...is either Fe-inferior or social awkwardness. A lot of the other things could apply to both types. But I'm not really seeing the Ni. And, if we are to consider stereotypes, you look a like a typical LSI.
Awesome, thanks.

Only thing that put me off really was that ISTj's are described as quite formal, conscientious and strict on themselves. I'm also a bit more unusual than they're made out to be. I mean of course the descriptions are stereotypes but I'm quite far from meeting them.

Analyzing the functions and then putting them together it makes sense, but I struggle to match ISTj in the explanation. I'm more unreliable, work in spurts of determination. I don't strategize or organize myself very well. If you take sport for instance, or a puzzle, I'm not going to think of the most logical solution or try and find the best technique to win. In snooker I won't play a good positioning shot onto the black, I'll go for that red across the table because even though it's better in the long run to play safe - the long ball is so much more epic for that moment. I will know how to do the strategy thing and work out what's best but that's too much effort, takes the joy out of those epic moments.

I won't pass around much when I'm playing football, or try to develop a good strategy to win, I'll shoot from 40m away and try to get the glory. Though once my team got annoyed with me I started passing more. Thinking of a plan takes too long and isn't fun. Although I wish I could plan better, it just doesn't come to me. I have NEVER in my couple decades of living thought in any real depth about where I want to be in 5 years, 10 years, even 2 years. I just have absolutely no idea.

Tl;dr

Maybe I should get those close to me to tell me what they think of my personality. I've asked my housemates once and they literally had no idea, they didn't have anyone they felt they could compare to me. A few of them thought I was high all the time when I first joined the house, one thought I was autistic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Only thing that put me off really was that ISTj's are described as quite formal, conscientious and strict on themselves. I'm also a bit more unusual than they're made out to be. I mean of course the descriptions are stereotypes but I'm quite far from meeting them.

Analyzing the functions and then putting them together it makes sense, but I struggle to match ISTj in the explanation. I'm more unreliable, work in spurts of determination. I don't strategize or organize myself very well. If you take sport for instance, or a puzzle, I'm not going to think of the most logical solution or try and find the best technique to win. In snooker I won't play a good positioning shot onto the black, I'll go for that red across the table because even though it's better in the long run to play safe - the long ball is so much more epic for that moment. I will know how to do the strategy thing and work out what's best but that's too much effort, takes the joy out of those epic moments.
Eh, they're just descriptions of what a stereotyped ISTj could be. That Ti/Se makes sense and is accurate for you is more important than fitting some generic description.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Awesome, thanks.

I won't pass around much when I'm playing football, or try to develop a good strategy to win, I'll shoot from 40m away and try to get the glory. Though once my team got annoyed with me I started passing more. Thinking of a plan takes too long and isn't fun. Although I wish I could plan better, it just doesn't come to me. I have NEVER in my couple decades of living thought in any real depth about where I want to be in 5 years, 10 years, even 2 years. I just have absolutely no idea.

Tl;dr

Maybe I should get those close to me to tell me what they think of my personality. I've asked my housemates once and they literally had no idea, they didn't have anyone they felt they could compare to me. A few of them thought I was high all the time when I first joined the house, one thought I was autistic.
Hmm I lack the real life experience with LSIs to be able to help you. I'd suggest SLE seeing that you feel that you are not as structured as LSIs are made out to be but something seems off about that typing...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Same here. It's like the everyone is watching you and you're embarrassed and afraid to make a single wrong move because you dread an event of mass humiliation.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here. It's like the everyone is watching you and you're embarrassed and afraid to make a single wrong move because you dread an event of mass humiliation.
I find that there are only 1 or 2 people in this world who I can talk to feeling like I'm completely myself and my character begins to present itself. When I step back and realize how great of a feeling it is I see what I am missing out on with others. Obviously certain situations do require you to hold back a bit on your personality.

Someone told me a while back that people are too worried about how they're coming across to care enough about how you're presenting yourself, and in a way it's true. When I recall that conversation it helps me relax more and chill out. And so what if you mess up, people remember you for your overall presence, the energy you exude. The socially awkward guy is a great person to have around if he brings that exciting energy with it. It's the overall aura you create that gives off the impression, not the minute details. At least this is what I try to remind myself.

It's like when you go to a party or family gathering, whatever it is that has a group environment. I can often notice things that make me cringe a bit about someone, or make me think "oh god that's embarrassing". But I observe that he barely notices and everyone takes that as part of the package when the overall energy comes with it. Sometimes I wish I didn't over-think things.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Hmm I lack the real life experience with LSIs to be able to help you. I'd suggest SLE seeing that you feel that you are not as structured as LSIs are made out to be but something seems off about that typing...
An LSI-Se would seem and come across as more SLE-like anyway, and may identify more with the EP temperament. I think creative subtypes don't tend to strongly identify with their temperament in general to be honest. I haven't run across too many who do strongly feel they identify with their subtype. I do, but I'm base. It wouldn't surprise me that I would experience myself as a bit less inert and more fidgety if I was creative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts