Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as topic above, are INTJ better at text chats,e.g. instant messaging, than voice chats, e.g. phone calls?
through text chats, i am capable of wittier and more engaging lines. however through voice chats, i'm less spontaneous and deemed less interesting (well unless the person is trying to get into a debate).
i believe it is because text chat allows us more time to think of better lines/topic to engage our chat buddy better.
anyone share this trait? interested to know if this is the norm behaviour of INTJ

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
For me, writing is the purest form of expression. It is an internal system of gears that puts out the essence of my ideas and my identity via a thorough, thoughtful process. I'm much less inhibited and don't have to deal with the "superficial things" like appearance and body language. This yields much more success, as evidenced by how many people I text in reality and how many online friends I have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, writing is the purest form of expression. It is an internal system of gears that puts out the essence of my ideas and my identity via a thorough, thoughtful process. I'm much less inhibited and don't have to deal with the "superficial things" like appearance and body language. This yields much more success, as evidenced by how many people I text in reality and how many online friends I have.
i cannot agree more! :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I mainly prefer typing and writing , I simply loathe voice chat I feel sort of uncomfortable with voice chatting :wink:

Although you can have some satisfaction and entertainment with it , while chatting with a female it resembles a sex service and then for example you reply to her " Please deposit 1$ dollar in order to continue your debate " hilarious isn't it ??? :dry:

·
Registered
INTJ
1,506 Posts
yes type is much better, I have much more interesting things to say when I'm not constantly being pressured to respond, and I don't get left behind by fast-talkers. Plus, it just isn't so draining. Also prefer forums and email to instant messaging for same reasons.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Oh yeah...

I'd go down as sharing it, though I'm starting to get a better handle on why this is. "The Introvert Advantage" mentions that introverts tend to prefer written communication over verbal communication, just to give an idea for why this may be so. Another factor is to see how much of myself is in the message. Where in voice I have to worry about how loud my voice is, how fast am I talking, what tone is used and other stuff these don't exist in the text world. There can be speed issues if someone is trying to have a real-time chat but text messages, forums and e-mails tend to be more one-way messages where I can have time to process what I want to say and also not feel defined by how I say it since it is just the words that I use that can be edited many times over without anyone else knowing it, hehe.

I'd guess I also got more comfortable with these kinds of messages rather than talking and so for me this is more natural to my mind. I can wonder if being intuitive factors into this somehow as the message may contain words that have to be put together to form the image, explain the point or otherwise elaborate on an idea to be communicated.

Thus I can see this being true for INxx, but maybe someone else has an idea for how to lock in those last few letters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh another thing i like about typing is that we can construct our lines to 'perfection'. i'm not sure if i am alone in this but there are so many times after i finish saying something ,i wished i could have said something else or improved on what i have said. typing also ensures that we can construct our lines such that we are protected from being wrong(something INTJs hate). :p

·
Registered
560 Posts
I only prefer voice communication when I'm explaining something very complex.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I have to agree that typing is easier. I've never enjoyed voice chatting, or sitting listening to someone talk on the phone (because it always winds up being one-sided). Give me IM, email, letter writing, or texting any day.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I absolutely hate talking on the phone. Typing doesn't require your full attention, and you can walk away and return at will. On the phone, you cannot escape unless you basically tell the other person to shut up.

I like typing, but I also like chatting face to face equally as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I too am more comfortable with text than voice. However, I worry that having the ability to "compose" leads to a more intellectual output, which is something we really don't need to emphasize more in many social settings. There can be a thin line between witty and snarky, especially when there is no tone of voice to indicate the intent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can certainly relate. For me, talking on the phone or to someone face-to-face has always been uncomfortable for me. I don't mind listening on the other end of the receiver, or having someone talk to me, but for some reason, actually voicing my thoughts is next to impossible. Talking to someone online, or writing an original composition, on the other hand, is just easier for me. It's more natural, my sentences sound better, and my thoughts tend to flow well over all. When it comes to speaking aloud, I almost always mumble, am inarticulate, or cannot express myself to the best of my ability---the range of my vocabulary also tends to dwindle. Yet when someone says the exact same thing to be through a computer, I can formulate a more than adequate reply to them. There's just something about human contact...

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I would rather type than speak out loud as I find it very difficult to explain myself properly. But then again I am very hard on myself. I also have a habit of breaking out into a laughing spiral when speaking on the phone to somebody.

I like Skype because you can have a voice conversation and type. I can not verbalize my emotions, no matter how hard I try. It just comes out in a series of wheezes, grunts, and mutters. So I type those out instead. Thank god the only people I speak to on skype are also INTJs so they know/understand why the hell I stop speaking suddenly and start typing.

Reactions: InvisibleJim

·
Registered
131 Posts
I absolutely hate talking on the phone. Typing doesn't require your full attention, and you can walk away and return at will. On the phone, you cannot escape unless you basically tell the other person to shut up.

I like typing, but I also like chatting face to face equally as well.

This, 100%.

I also like chatting face to face, unless if it's a bad day!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I no that im better at written communication then voice talk, although i do find that some complex things are easier in face to face conversations

1 - 20 of 20 Posts