Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure, but I think I use both Ti and Te, Ni and Ne, and perhaps even Fi and Fe. I'm not sure what kind of sensing I do--probably both also.

I'm not sure how to explain how I believe I use both forms of thinking, but I do. I can be linear, and like to rely on the external standard deemed objective, but I can also be holistic when researching, and I like to look at all sides of things. I use knowledge to sate curiosity more so than just tor reach a goal. But I'm still more comfortable with clear, not-ambiguous info (unless the point of what I'm receiving is to find your own meanings in it). Basically, if there's pressure on me to get the answer or get the assignment correct (example being school) I use extroverted thinking. If I'm on my own time I probably use introverted thinking.

When I write things or theorize or explain things, they sometimes seem to mean nothing to other people or leave people confused. I can remember using a metaphor to clarify my original metaphor before, lol. I think this is introverted intuition? I can see how one small thing can be connected to something much bigger. This works with events too. I see ripple effects that make me anxious and sort of obsessive compulsive. But I also look for patterns that someone or something else put there. I'm prone to finding meanings in external things others don't see. I'm told I can be tangential when I talk and I can often see multiple sides to things. Is this Ne?

Overall, I think I'm closest to Fi because I do have some rigid moral values and can't really understand social norms and people's general lack of autonomy. I get frustrated at injustice and don't like compromising my integrity just to fit in. However, I have been merciful and compromising when I didn't feel like dealing with conflict, so I have occasional Fe-ish moments.

Even though I do consider myself very intuitive, I would not call my sensing weak. In fact, I consider myself highly sensitive in some ways. I cannot tolerate hunger or thirst to the point of over-hydrating myself. I am sensitive to noise and light (though this is fairly recent and may be the result of a disorder). I have a good memory of food I liked that I revert back to with mouth-watering nostalgia. The goals I make and the planning I do are in a sense, more immediate-focused than with the typical INTJ. I'm a kinesthetic learner and am not very good with forming a picture out of verbal directions. In fact, I even lack empathy when bad news is reported to me verbally. It's like it doesn't register if I'm not learning from experience. However, I tend not to be concerned with what's happening in external reality unless it's really affecting me. I do tend to idealize about what should be, and I've walked into people countless times because I was distracted by my thoughts. In fact, it is very difficult for me to get bored because I can think myself into amusement fairly easily. So although I think I lean towards intuitive, I have a lot of sensing traits as well, especially introverted sensing, which is contradicting to the INTJ.

When I was a teen, I was very rigid about my schedule (and still am), yet at the same time I was unmotivated, disorganized, and procrastinating. I've always been scatterbrained, yet I've also always gotten irritated with people hindering my goals. I even get bothered and critical when I see people around me being incompetent and self-sabotaging their own plans, even if I'm not involved. Yet, even though I picture how a very small action can influence something in the far future, I do not have some big plan for the future of mankind like the extreme INTJ. My goals are usually much more simple and self-focused. Right now my only real goals are comfort and isolation. However, lots of deliberate acts have to happen in order for me to have those things in both the present and the future, and I get pretty cut throat about nothing and no one getting in my way. I can't stand when people are slow and I'm never late. But at the same time, I'm kind of a slow person (unless I force myself not to be) so I have to get up earlier than most people to ensure I'm on time if I want to be able to be lackadaisical. I also have a tendency to wait until the last minute to finish an assignment if I don't push myself, so I did push myself and now I can be over-the-top with my efficiency obsession. I'm not sure if this is fake J behavior or if my adult personality is more J than my teenage one was. Like a P though, I'm sort of "laid back" in spite of anxieties, and don't really consider myself overly ambitious or competitive. I'm also more indecisive than decisive, and can be circular in both thoughts and arguments. But I am immensely uncomfortable with forced spontaneity. The person making the plans doesn't understand that since they thought of it, they got a head's up before anyone else.

Edited: Oh yeah, and here are some extra tidbits: I am sort of obsessed with the "truth". Even though I know that reality is subjective in a way, I can second guess my perceived reality and look for some sort of objective voice or standard to confirm it for me. I have trouble feigning interest when I'm not that into something and can seem aloof, but I consider myself a sensitive person. I'm just more pensive with my feelings rather than expressive, and I get annoyed at playing house or that people have to small talk just to be polite. Even though I try to be logical, I can experience what other people call quasi-delusional thinking. It tends to be highly speculative and a bit on the paranoid side. I think it's my uncertainty with reality that makes me want to be rational, funnily enough. I've been around erratic people for most of my life whose "truth" changed frequently. It's made me not trust what people say, but also not trust my own perceptions at times. If you can be gullible, yet hyper vigilant at the same time, then that's me. That's why I cling to what has been decided as the objective reality and try not to form unwavering opinions.

Edited again: I also relate to both of the inferior functions and what they cause in some people that were linked in another thread. I do what both INTJs and INTPs do.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm not seeing much Fe from you. I know INTPs have inferior Fe but a Fe user saying something like this? "don't like compromising my integrity just to fit in." LULZ

I would say your "Fe moments" are you trying to bypass irrelevant stuff interfering with your end goal or increasing the chance/speed of reaching the end goal quicker not so much because you cared about the other person(s).

Also this statement is Te/Fi to the fullest LULZ

"I've also always gotten irritated with people hindering my goals. I even get bothered and critical when I see people around me being incompetent and self-sabotaging their own plans, even if I'm not involved."

I believe you are you are a Ne/Si user "But I am immensely uncomfortable with forced spontaneity." might mean Ne is your child function? So you are uncomfortable using it but like to? O.O

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I tried my best interpreting the functions, but some of then I obviously still don't get. So do you think I'm an INTJ with a developing Ne? I like solving puzzles, but I like clarity from the outside when I'm not trying to uncover something.

And I can be approval-seeking/wanting people to like me, etc, but that moment of Fe doesn't show up often because I guess I don't like most people, lol...except at a distance.

I guess I'm like:
Ni
Ne
Te
Ti
Si
Se
Fi

But I'm not sure of the order or how much they are used.

Edit: Okay I just looked up some more things on Ne and if this information is accurate, which I'm not sure it is because I read so much contradicting info, then I use Ne a lot. I'm known to make loose associations and stuff and jump from one think to another. I think I use Ni too, but I'm not sure which one I use more. Could I be an INFP with a weak F, or am I just a more scatterbrained INTJ? Are either of these possible? Maybe I'm secretly a sensor? Lol, I feel so self-centered.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I skimmed this because tl;dr, but one need not definitively be tested into a type. Perhaps you reside closer to the origin of P<--0-->J, meaning you don't conclusively identify as a J or P, thus (perhaps) mildly leading with one type swinging into your alternate as necessity determines. For example, even the hardcore INTP has to be J at times, and I suspect it's out of necessity to move on, even if temporarily, leading to a systematic cycle of quick creation and lengthy deconstruction + analysis. (That's speculation.) From personal experience, I've tested multiple times as a pretty solid INTJ, but sometimes I take that step back from myself to temporarily resemble the elements of an INTP, INFP or even ENFP! I know this because I've tested myself in curiosity during "priority changes," and I've noticed that I "grid hop" on the iNtuitive towards my opposite (ESFP) during dysfunctional and philosophical occasions. As for what type to call yourself, pick your poison. It's just a pigeon-hole into what you believe yourself to be. Being superior/inferior or balanced in your functions both has costs and benefits. Being mid-line will mean you can't appreciate or utilize the extremes to the same potential, but you can probably recognize both, which is a power of its own.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ne:
One data point to many possibilities

Ni:
Multiple Data points to one Idea/Conclusion

·
Registered
80 Posts
INTP's and INTJ's may appear similar at first glance (P vs J), but they actually are very different from one another. They share no cognitive functions whatsoever in their preferences! This is how type tests can go wrong.. they test for P vs J as its own dichotomy and it completely throws off your results.

Here's what I would do in your situation. There's no real substitution for learning about the cognitive functions, and being able to identify your thoughts and behavior as fitting or not fitting said functions.. In your case:

1. Do I most comfortably + consciously operate in Ti? or is it Ni? Look back to when you were a child, as this is the first that develops.
2. How do I express myself effectively in the outside world? Through Ne? or Te? this should give you a better clue..
3. What is my Achilles Heel? What is my guilty pleasure that I'm attracted to and indulge myself with, but also feel a lack of control over? is it Fe? or is it Se? This should help you identify your inferior function.
4. Take a critical look at how you interact with people.. determine whether you are Fi or Fe.. this helped me a lot in determining my type.

check out personalityjunkie.com I feel like this is perhaps the best resource I've found online regarding MB typology and it's helped me tremendously.

The more you learn about the functions, and the more honest you can be with yourself, the better you'll be at IDing yourself (and others). Good Luck!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I resonate with a lot of your self description, and I'm definitely a J. I think what this is is you finding a bit of yourself in everything, and it's true, we do have a bit of every trait in us. But sometimes what looks like a certain other trait is actually the one we generally use. I'm very Fi over Fe but I have Fe moments, usually to serve Te or Fi goals. It took digging at my true motivations to clear up confusion about which cognitive functions were most relevant to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone! I am now more sure that I'm an INTJ.

Also, thanks Robert2928, for the Youtube videos. They helped a lot. Lol, did I accidentally say I'm 16? I'm older than that.

I do think I'm an INTJ, as my existence seems to revolve largely around Ni, but I think I use Ne a decent bit for whatever reason. Is Ni when you get conspiracy theories about the universe sabotaging your plans by sending this and that your way? I also think I use Ti because I'm more pensive than deliberate about things sometimes and my responses to questions can be delayed, but maybe that's just Ni or Fi or poor social skills, lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is Ni when you get conspiracy theories about the universe sabotaging your plans by sending this and that your way?
That sounds like Ni with incredibly weak and undeveloped Fi.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
INTP's and INTJ's may appear similar at first glance (P vs J), but they actually are very different from one another. They share no cognitive functions whatsoever in their preferences! This is how type tests can go wrong.. they test for P vs J as its own dichotomy and it completely throws off your results.

Here's what I would do in your situation. There's no real substitution for learning about the cognitive functions, and being able to identify your thoughts and behavior as fitting or not fitting said functions.. In your case:

1. Do I most comfortably + consciously operate in Ti? or is it Ni? Look back to when you were a child, as this is the first that develops.
2. How do I express myself effectively in the outside world? Through Ne? or Te? this should give you a better clue..
3. What is my Achilles Heel? What is my guilty pleasure that I'm attracted to and indulge myself with, but also feel a lack of control over? is it Fe? or is it Se? This should help you identify your inferior function.
4. Take a critical look at how you interact with people.. determine whether you are Fi or Fe.. this helped me a lot in determining my type.

check out personalityjunkie.com I feel like this is perhaps the best resource I've found online regarding MB typology and it's helped me tremendously.

The more you learn about the functions, and the more honest you can be with yourself, the better you'll be at IDing yourself (and others). Good Luck!

Hmm, I'm not really sure what to say about these though. I do remember feeling like an observer as a child, and even a bit of a social critic, and I had a good memory, but I don't know what function that is. I knew early on my Fe was weak though, but I was more social than I am now.

I'm not sure how I express myself to the outside world because I try not to interact with it much, lol. I only interact when I need to in order to reach a goal, or when I need feedback about an idea or question.

I get overstimulated easily and am physically sensitive, but I like food and am addicted to dessert. I can also be an endorphin junkie and get compulsive with exercise out of fear of not burning the calories I consume.

Fi. I have more empathy towards cats than people unless there is a legitimate injustice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My tentative guess would be INTJ.. not 100% sure by any means though :) Still, I highly recommend learning as much as you can about the cognitive functions so you can better identify these behaviors and processes within yourself. Again, I highly recommend personalityjunkie.com as a resource!

·
Registered
INTP
438 Posts
First, MBTI isn't "Gospel truth" as I keep telling people. Everyone is unique, and I'd say we probably resemble types more than we fit them. Also, alot of people change over time. Don't worry about "fitting in" or "matching a type". If you really want a type, read the descriptions and see what you most affiliate with.
Portrait of an INTP
Portrait of an INTJ

One thing you might try is going to the humor forums of each - INTP and INTJ - and seeing which jokes you laugh at. As an INTP, I simply don't understand most INTJ humor, although INTJs tend to understand my humor.

Reactions: Discovery

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, I relate to both equally on the "Portrait of..." pages and the personalityjunkie.com pages, and I don't see much of a difference in the humor. I see dry jokes, gifs, nerdy or cultural memes, and societal critiques in both threads.

I think the key to finding which I'm closest to is getting a consistent and clear answer as to what each intuition does. And yes, I've read plenty. The problem is that the more I read, the more confused I get because the definitions are not steady. I know how my intuition works, but some sources will match it to Ni, while others make it appear to be Ne.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts