Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,477 Posts
I've struggled with a strong temper ever since I was little. It wasn't as in control then and you'd often catch me physically lashing out at my older sister when she teased me or when my dad lost control and disciplined me. These days it's more under control but I'm a very passionate person and I just see this as an unfortunate side effect of being so.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Sometimes, I want to break some skulls. In all seriousness though, I'm a full blooded Korean American, and if you know anything about Koreans, it's that we're fire-hot, passionate, somewhat volatile people; we also carry a lot of 'han' - Han (cultural) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - so that also increases the potential to become pissed and aggravated...I see this underlying trait within myself, my sister, my friends, and many fellow 2nd generationers, and let's not get started with the 1st generation folks. I've learned to keep my temper in check through the years, but I would be a liar if I said I didn't have episodes in which my rage came out like a fire-breathing dragon.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I get 'angry' with inanimate objects....or more accurately my lack of co-ordination / dexterity with some of them (especially engines and car / boat components)

I rarely get angry with people these days........another of the few advantages of age!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do, but I definitely wouldn't call it an explosive side. It's rather a passive-aggresive side. Instead of being furious, I show my anger by rejecting people who want to approach me. After doing so I usually feel guilty and embarrassed. I think this is a strange behaviour for INFJs. Some people tend to think I'm cold. I guess that If my own mother knew about MBTI, she would probably type me as INTJ.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've only gotten that angry once.

I was a sophomore in high school getting bullied on the school bus on the way home. After the 20 minute ride I stood up to get off the bus and a kid tried to pickpocket me as I walked down the aisle. I snapped, broke several of his fingers and threatened to end him if he so much as looked at me the wrong way again.

I was never bothered by him or anyone else on the bus again, which was great, but I hated myself for getting that angry. For the next 4-5 hours I felt physically ill and my arms wouldn't stop shaking. So yes, I have that "explosive" side and I hope I never see it again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It takes A LOT to push me past my limit. I can only think of 1 time in my life so far where i completely lost it. There is only one insult that has any effect on me, and my sister used it on me when I was 12 (she was 14 at the time). I got so mad that I threw a chair at her, and not a plastic deck char either, a wooden dining char. I felt awful about it and have never lost my temper like that since.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Very powerful, it seems. Like @Vivid Melody said, I like to consider it as a necessary part of being so passionate by nature, even if it's not always constructive. If left unchecked, it quickly becomes intoxicating I'd say. I've always tried to either assuage this side of me through music or games, or at least use it as motivation... It's amazing how far a little spite goes :).

I can only think of one time when I was actually 'blinded' by rage and immediately felt really dizzy, which passed after like 3-5 seconds, but it was still rather scary. Ironically, this happened while gaming, so it's probably not the best medium to temper your self lol, even if it is useful in dealing with innate aggression.

99% of the time, however, it never reaches a critical level and I just swear a lot, maybe half-heartedly punch my desk or a wall at worst (I also do this out of jubilation though). I find what triggers it most is any circumstance where I feel my meager amount of control of the external world is being undermined, whether it be by people misunderstanding me or my intentions and extrapolating a whole lot of bs from a false premise, me not being able to convey any where near the accuracy of my thoughts, or simple household objects not obeying my god damn command and acting as they should. :angry:

·
Registered
175 Posts
No one has ever pushed me off the edge and made me explode on them, but I know I have the potential to do it if someone did. I'm usually very patient, and calm, but I can also have a nasty temper.

Usually when I get mad at someone, rather than burst into flames I just close myself up and act as if they don't exist and nothing happened, which is an unhealthy habit. There are some people I really wish I could just scream at, but the only way I can do that is if they provoke me to do so... I wish I didn't harbor my anger, but I just don't know how to release it without someone else forcing me to.

However, I have no issues releasing the kraken when an inanimate object crosses me. Hell hath no fury like me stubbing my toe on a piece of furniture. :angry:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have never lost my temper, and that really makes me curious what I am capable of if I ever cross that threshhold. I believe in and practice temperance and self control, and while I will fuss at a computer from time to time, I have never unleashed on a person. I have that "protector" instinct to me, so I wonder if something dear to me got really threatened, what would I do?

All the years and hurts and disappointments and anger, I always internalize it. I am also fully aware of the roiling tempest beneath the surface. Sometimes I write a story in my head about an alter-ego that is simply sitting under the surface waiting to take over (his name is my middle name) and I would be in various situations where he ends up taking over.

I honestly think my timidity and meekness contains me well enough. I have a feeling if I ever tip over, it will be an "all or nothing" scenario, a last ditch thing. I dont know, it is very curious to me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
don't get mad, I get sad or hurt or frustrated like >.> I understand where the other person is coming from so I'm not mad but it still hurts they did what ever I should be mad about but I'm not O_O

occasionally I get mad but that usually results in a -door slam

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sometimes I feel that I have anger that I don't know about. And if something triggers it, I may explode. But that hasn't happened yet. I hope it doesn't happen though...but if it were to happen, I wonder how powerful?

Reactions: Rather Unusual

·
Banned
982 Posts
I have always had quite a temper, even as a young child. I was usually able to keep it under control, although it was extremely difficult at times. But there was a period in my life when I felt that literally everyone around me had either betrayed me and/or disrespected me as a human being. At that point a switch went off in my head and I felt like a completely different person. All the rage that had built up inside me just exploded. It wasn't like other times where I would get angry and then get over it later on that same day. In this case the rage just kept building up more and more for an extended period of time, about a year. I was just so furious all the time and my anger just kept growing. Looking back now it was pretty scary because I almost lost myself. For a while, I did lose myself. I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but this is just what comes up for me when I think about the concepts of anger and personal limits.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I've snapped a few times. When I say snapped, I mean punched the wall or screamed at someone. It once took a week of being constantly got at by my sister for me to snap and hit her (completely out of nowhere - I had felt absolutely fine before, but I guess it anger did build up). I tend to cry a lot when I get very frustrated or angry, which makes me more frustrated, because then no one's taking me seriously.

After snapping, I feel either physically hurt inside - like my heart is literally breaking - or completely numb. I hate getting angry and repressed it for years before depression pushed it all out of me and into the world. Now it's kind of like the depression broke something that was keeping it all back and I'm much better with getting normally angry at people (I mean, just raising my voice a little and telling them to stop whatever).

I never get angry at inanimate objects, though. If I stub my toe, I usually go silent and hold my breath until the pain stops (or I need to breathe - whichever happens first). I once dropped an entire jug of water on my foot, popped a vein and stood there for a minute saying nothing before picking it up and putting it away. I'm pretty using to injuring myself - I've always been accident prone XP Dropping things just makes me sigh, but I don't get angry.

Reactions: Rather Unusual
1 - 20 of 22 Posts