Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big procrastinator when I've got a lot of free time but when I've got a hectic schedule I tend to finish my work . Currently I'm taking a math course and a public speaking course but I just can't get myself to do it on a regular basis though I've got a lot of free time . Any tips on how to get work done ? I would love to hear from you guys! I'm an infj btw (any tips from other infjs?) all other mbti types advice is welcome as well :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Big procrastinator when I've got a lot of free time but when I've got a hectic schedule I tend to finish my work . Currently I'm taking a math course and a public speaking course but I just can't get myself to do it on a regular basis though I've got a lot of free time . Any tips on how to get work done ? I would love to hear from you guys! I'm an infj btw (any tips from other infjs?) all other mbti types advice is welcome as well :)
I found a study buddy or some external mentor type to work wonders.

Other method is telling friends, family, or even post on social media what you're doing. They'll ask you how it's going, they maybe even encourage you, it'll create some push/urgency.

Also, get out of your comfort zone. Don't study at home where the focus is on relaxing (maybe), but go somewhere. Change your environment.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
this is common in a lot of college/university undergraduates. basically, what's already been said applies. make lists and make small chunk what you need to do, and try to make it fun if you can

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Find a NTJ assistant.
I did. And I will for each job I'll get. It's wonderfull. You give them an overview, an adaptability that make you 'never surprised, never affraid, because you never plan anything', they bring you back to the reality, force you to do things in time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
INFJ specific: stop thinking, start doing. Don't go for perfect, but get the job done. Don't worry too much, work instead.
Don't be afraid and if you feel fear, feel it and do what you've set out to do anyway.
go from Ni-Ti to a Ti-Se when in action.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
INFJ specific: stop thinking, start doing. Don't go for perfect, but get the job done. Don't worry too much, work instead.
Don't be afraid and if you feel fear, feel it and do what you've set out to do anyway.
go from Ni-Ti to a Ti-Se when in action.
That works pretty well for INFPs too, even if we don't share your functions :laughing:.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Study buddy is a great idea. Feeling responsible to show up or to lead by example is the best way for me (also an INFJ) to stick to a task at hand. I found that I could reach my goals much easier if I partnered up with someone.

On a down side, I've been the same way my whole entire life. Nothing can make me not to procrastinate when there's no pressure. I perform so much better under pressure or a deadline. I also do much better when it's project oriented, not doing the same things day in and day out. I can't stick to something that's open ended.

When you consider a career, think about this tendency. I chose the wrong career because I failed to take my inborn trait into consideration.

Reactions: Stavrogin

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
I don't really relate to the 'just do it' advice. If it was that simple, you would have already done it. Writing lists and doing something because you wrote it on a list just seems like a mindless, depressing way of living.

Perhaps you should ask deeper questions, how do you feel when you think about doing the work? What do you expect? Why are you doing the work? I suggest that is important to understand your own motivations and understand why the action will be worthwhile (or even beautiful).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm ENTP and was a huge procrastinator in the past. Though I've become much better at actually doing what I have to do :)

It helps to know what actually triggers your procrastination. It's quite simple actually.

Your brain has several different zones which each have different functions. Now a specific more primitive part somewhere in the middle is responsible for pain recognition and pain avoidance. It's the part that makes sure you don't zap yourself on the electric fence twice.

Studies have shown that this pain avoidance site also activates when we are reluctant to do something. This feeling of reluctance, not wanting to do something for the life of you, is this pain avoidance zone firing up. This is what causes the procrastination and that really slumped down feeling of really really really really really really not wanting to study right now, but rather go eat something chocolaty or watch something amusing on youtube.
I can't remember exactly what the reason was for this zone firing up when you have to go study, but it was something mentally, a preconceived idea that studying will not be fun (just as zapping yourself on an electric wire is not fun :p ).

But the cool thing is! There's actually a way to swich this procrastation feeling off! :D And it's that stupid piece of advice that everyone gives you, but nobody really knows why: "Just do it". Horrible advice, I know, but it actually makes sense if you think of the wire. You really really really do not want to get zapped again by the electric wire, so you will really really really not want to grab hold of it again. But if you mentally force yourself, you can reach out your arm and grab hold of the wire. Now if the electricity is turned of, you'll see that holding the wire isn't that bad and your pain avoidance zone will stop firing and you'll feel much comfortable holding the wire. You'd be able to hold on forever!

Now studying is the same thing, it's that electric wire. Or rather, it's a wire that has never been electric, but we really think and believe that it is electric and that's why our pain avoidance zone fires up. And when you grab hold of the wire and see that it doesn't shock you, your pain avoidance zone will stop firing and you'll be able to -even happily- hold on. But before you can hold on you first have to grab hold. You first have to start studying! :)

Now, practical tips. The pomodoro technique is quite funny and quite effective. You take a kitchen timer and set it to five minutes and make a commitment to only study for 5 minutes. After two minutes or so, you'll see that holding on to the study wire isn't as shocking as you first (probably unconsciously) thought and you'd be able to carry on studying for as long as you're capable :)

(all this information I got from an online course in learning how to learn. It's on coursera)

other pro tips in preparing to go study:
-clear desk of any distractions (phone/laptop/tablet/chess board/novels/ chickens/...)
-get all you need ready on the table (books/notes/pens/markers/chickens/...)
-go to the toilet before you start (chickens/...)
-have a glass or bottle of water on the desk (drinking a bit while studying keeps my concentration up i've noticed/ chickens/...)

GOODLUCK FROM HERE ON!
Hope this post helped a bit. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts