Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Cracked.com and came across this article.

...scientists have just discovered that the birth control pill has strange effects on a woman's memory. To explore this, they showed a group of women (half on the pill and half not) a film and asked them a bunch of questions about it afterward. What they found was that the women who weren't taking the pill generally had a pretty good eye for details. The others, however, tended to fumble along like toddlers in a pool made of Jell-O.

The results backed up something that the researchers suspected about how the pill messes with the female body. It comes down to the differences in the way men and women remember. Women typically retain smaller details, while men recall the bigger picture -- men see the forest, while women see the legs on the aphids on the leaves on the trees.

But birth control pills alter a woman's hormones, specifically by lowering the ones associated with reproduction. It makes her brain more dude-like. So, she starts to remember just the big picture, like a dude. Remember, everything in the brain is connected -- change one chemical, and the effects ripple out into other areas.
I found this interesting, especially considering the part about females being more Si than males.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:p Well, it is a comedy website at heart. They just make sure they use real studies to back it up.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
"Dude", what does this pool of jello have to do with Cognitive Functions again?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the pill is just changing the focus of what someone remembers, is it really weakening Si? or is it just changing the focus on the lens?
But in the event of just the latter, it would be using it less and thus causing it to weaken.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
But Si isn't related to detailed memory. It's about contextual perception, very much the opposite of detail in my eyes. If there's a function that is closely connected to detail, it's going to be an extraverted or objective function like Se or Ne.

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
But in the event of just the latter, it would be using it less and thus causing it to weaken.
Why did you jump to the conclusion that this study was describing Si? Si is more than just looking at pictures and remembering their details. It's the entire structure behind ones' information gathering. Does this mean we can convert Sensors to iNtuitives? No. And now I'm definitely not taking birth control, I like the amount of attention to detail I have. That is, if this study really exists.

·
Registered
637 Posts
From the Article Comments:
hamsterjelly
01/17/12 06:07 PM
Oh god, the birth control thing explains so much! No wonder I'm so terrible at taking tests. My nursing midterm is going to suck.
But thanks for the explanation!

hamsterjelly
02/14/12 08:05 PM
UPDATE: I passed my midterm. Got an A.
It is possible that the data they collected doesn't necessarily support their thesis as well. There could be another explanation for why their test yielded the results it did, but I don't know what that would be.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why did you jump to the conclusion that this study was describing Si? Si is more than just looking at pictures and remembering their details. It's the entire structure behind ones' information gathering. Does this mean we can convert Sensors to iNtuitives? No. And now I'm definitely not taking birth control, I like the amount of attention to detail I have. That is, if this study really exists.
Hmm, then perhaps my idea of Si is incorrect. I thought Si was storing and recalling details and information from the past, or memory, while Se was noticing details in the outside world for as long as you are experiencing it. Several people on here have pointed out the fact that a lot of my posts are very detailed as evidence that my Sensing function is strong.

Reactions: Spades

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
Hmm, then perhaps my idea of Si is incorrect. I thought Si was storing and recalling details and information from the past, or memory, while Se was noticing details in the outside world for as long as you are experiencing it. Several people on here have pointed out the fact that a lot of my posts are very detailed as evidence that my Sensing function is strong.
If that were true, Ni users would have no memory and nothing to base any of their future projections on, and Ne users would be completely oblivious to anything happening around them. It's clearly not the case. I have an excellent long-term memory, and I don't attribute this to any function. It's not how much we remember, it's how we remember. More importantly, how we use that to guide our decision-making, and what we place priority on. If you are not sure whether you use Sensation or Intuition more, I would definitely not base it off what you remember from pictures =P It's not trivial to determine, and I know I'm not being very helpful either, heh.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that were true, Ni users would have no memory and nothing to base any of their future projections on, and Ne users would be completely oblivious to anything happening around them. It's clearly not the case. I have an excellent long-term memory, and I don't attribute this to any function. It's not how much we remember, it's how we remember. More importantly, how we use that to guide our decision-making, and what we place priority on. If you are not sure whether you use Sensation or Intuition more, I would definitely not base it off what you remember from pictures =P It's not trivial to determine, and I know I'm not being very helpful either, heh.
Right, it's how you remember. One person would look at a photo and remember some details, the mood of it seemed sad, and that one guy looked like he was going to punch the other. Someone else might remember the angles the cars were parked and that they seemed crooked, and also the colors of the cars. I always thought of Si as noticing and remembering the details of things, but not other things like mood, which is what the article seems to be talking about. And everyone has all the functions. Ni user have Si, they just use it for different reasons in different circumstances. Even more so, Ne users use Si because using Ne means you use Si.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just mean that we perceive things primarily based on their symbolic context, rather than as they really are.
I thought that was iNtuition, whereas Sensing was how they really are. The orientation just explains where the source is, from your memories or the outside world. Is that wrong?

Reactions: Stephen

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I thought that was iNtuition, whereas Sensing was how they really are. The orientation just explains where the source is, from your memories or the outside world. Is that wrong?
Extraverted perceiving functions address the object, or the world around us, while introverted ones are directed inward at the subject. Se is objective and concrete (what really is), while Ne is objective and abstract (what may be but is not apparent). Neither Si nor Ni directly perceive the object by default, and instead address the symbolic context.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
And everyone has all the functions. Ni user have Si, they just use it for different reasons in different circumstances. Even more so, Ne users use Si because using Ne means you use Si.
It depends which of the many (sometimes conflicting) variations on the theory that you accept. I stick to four functions, not eight, and describe them as Jung did.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts