Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the NFs,

How do you feel about being an NF? Is it a blessing or a curse to you?

This is my personal view of myself: [and a question to you]
I quite consider it as a curse to be me. So many needy, poor people out there..are struggling to live for each and every day. There are still parts where people are still illiterate and have high prejudices, like difference between rich and poor, white skinned and dark skinned and so many, differences of religion (yes, they STILL exist). I feel bad..very bad, annoyed and disheartened when I see these people suffering. My words are really insufficient to express my sadness..so so SOOO much of corruption everywhere, crude, insensitive cowards everywhere..sometimes it becomes too much for me to take all these. I feel heartbroken that I can't simply do ANYTHING about this..I can't improve this world in anyway..I know, I'm still young, but yet...I feel that I'm responsible if I don't take any step...we're sent to this world to serve others, to make a good improvement and impact, on others..not to just achieve our own goals and stop giving a fuck to the world.
And I can't do anything..I'm just watching these people suffer each and everyday..and then enjoying.. and being mean and selfish..I simply feel like a waste who can take and return nothing..and I feel the urge to do SOMETHING at least..but what? And how? I'm tired of these people..simply tired, and I being only one person, can't improve the world, so how?? Day by day, will people become more mean and selfish? Will it worsen more?? How will I tolerate it then? How???

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Personally, I kinda hate it at times. I see so many people able to go through life and not give a crap about it. Then when I get that idea in my head, I feel bad for it. My brother and I are polar opposites and there are times I wish I could understand how he does what he does. He treats his girlfriends like crap and always seeks personal gain. He seems quite content with how his life is going.

But you know what? There's a better side of it. We get more reward from our emotions. When I listen to the right song, it'll move me in ways other people just don't understand. I can read a book or watch a movie and connect to a character deeper than anyone else. Hell, even the right video game will get me all teared up. I like that my emotions are so rewarding.

As far as making a difference goes, yes, one person can make a difference. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. But even those people are backed by other great people. Even Dr.King wouldn't have gained so much ground without people like Rosa Parks. We need to pull together should we get anything done. If I do my job right, I'll be obsolete before I die. If that happens, I'll be happy. We're capable of seeing aspects of society most people either don't see or ignore. We're not better or worse than anyone else but we see deeper than other people do. Life isn't as fair as it should be but if we play the hand we're dealt and don't back down, someday, things will be better.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think there are definitely blessings and curses to being any type. I love being an NF, personally. I feel incredibly unique. Unfortunately, this world was made for sensors and so life is a lot harder for me and for other intuitives, I imagine.

The blessings for my type are mostly to do with connections. When I'm in a play or reading a book, I tend to connect to characters a lot more easily than most other people. I can dive headfirst into a role and really understand how they think. I really doubt most other types can do that as well as I can. I always connect to characters in movies, TV, and books. I always seek deep connections with people around me and this has led to me making some really close friends (most are NFs as well).

The curses are mostly to do with work and school. I don't do well in either environment. I am such a free spirit that I can't be tied down to anything. I grew up with SJ parents and it was torture. They were so restrictive and I desperately needed an escape. People kept trying to tie me down and tell me that my dreams weren't achievable. In fact, I'm currently in a situation in which I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life because I feel like I missed all my opportunities to succeed so I'm going to be stuck with some crappy job that will accept those who didn't go to college. Honestly, as someone who is so very happy to be an NF and is comfortable in that NF skin, I hate this world for not providing us with what we needed.

So yeah, definitely a blessing and a curse.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
It's a curse in that the world is inherently more difficult to live in when you're not an ESXX type. It's a blessing in that life is often more beautiful and dynamic in general. Joy is beautiful, as is misery. It's not about you, or me, or this, or that. It's about US. We're all in this together.

Too few people seem to get that. But any healthy NF always will. :eek:) Every types has its strength and weaknesses. Ours just tend to be different from the world's preferred ones is all.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
It's a blessing to me, especially now I've found PerC and realize I'm not defective for looking for meaning in almost anything.

Of course it can be rough - the never truly being decisive, the constant self - hatred and wondering if you are ever going to be understood.

On the other hand though, there are so many benefits. The friendships I do have are strong and healthy and even though it can be hard to find friends, when I do it's almost always gratifying. I get drained by social contact but on the other hand it means that I am learning to love and appreciate myself and I can be at peace even when things are going bad - I don't need to be around people to be happy. I can get lost in a book or a movie or online and my inner world is, although often stormy, peaceful and safe - an inner sanctuary where I can withdraw to to relax and recharge.

Oh also, my belief that people should be able to be themselves without being judged or restricted seems to endear others to me so it is one way of getting over the (sometimes crippling) social anxiety.

I'm me and this is a part of me and I wouldn't change it for anything.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If I've helped to improve this world, I have no regrets. If I've only caused more problems, I should never have existed.

My emotions exist to guide me, not to rule me. I take pride in my pain, for it is what marks me as a force of good.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not sad. I'd be lying if I said I'm not angry. I'd be lying if I said I'm not afraid. However, even through all of these things, I'll continue to live... and hope to do some good along the way, however minor.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
It's both a blessing/curse.

I'm not immuned to the blatant ignorance I see day-by-day. Some people are okay with living with the truth, and others continue to live in it knowing that they lie to themselves and yet, they make it all okay.. I can't.

My friend gave me good advice: start making the change you desire to see or at least practice it everyday, otherwise- you are just complaining. I like that advice, because it's true.

What's disheartening to me is to see people passively cave into societal ignorance.. Some things are really out of our control and our own power. The only way to stay sane in a situation where I feel stuck is to find alternative options that make me feel free. I do not lose myself in the nonsense. Instead, I indulge in what I want to learn more. Sorta like finding your own niche and carving it for yourself- you gotta make it happen for yourself. No one else will. It helps to be aware. It's empowering to engage.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
So many needy, poor people out there..are struggling to live for each and every day. There are still parts where people are still illiterate and have high prejudices, like difference between rich and poor, white skinned and dark skinned and so many, differences of religion (yes, they STILL exist). I feel bad..very bad, annoyed and disheartened when I see these people suffering. My words are really insufficient to express my sadness..so so SOOO much of corruption everywhere, crude, insensitive cowards everywhere..sometimes it becomes too much for me to take all these.
I don't think these feelings are exclusive to NFs, my mum and sister both care about these sorts of things too (ISTJ and ISFJ).

I feel heartbroken that I can't simply do ANYTHING about this..I can't improve this world in anyway..I know, I'm still young, but yet...I feel that I'm responsible if I don't take any step...we're sent to this world to serve others, to make a good improvement and impact, on others..not to just achieve our own goals and stop giving a fuck to the world.
Maybe NFs are more prone to feeling hopeless and unable to do anything... other types might be more into problem solving and just doing something.

You don't have to change/fix the whole world. Even if you just help three people in your life, you've made the world a little better.

Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his journal writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up.
As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."
"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up, and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach, and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said, "It made a difference for that one."

·
Banned
72 Posts
a dark curse indeed

- to experience all the darkness passively
- to lead with a vision that could be mocked
- to attempt like a fool, to douse the flames scalding existence with buckets of reason and 'passion'
- to never have lived for i was too busy with the moment

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I prefer to do my best to think of it as a blessing but of course in a bad mood it's easy to start waving cynicism over everything as thats what a bad mood does.
I know i'm going to have my struggles in life as with anyone, we challenge ourselves. I'm a reasonably good person but I dont give myself enough credit because I sometimes zone in on what im not good at since that seems to be what i hear about a lot. Comparisons to what I am not all the time and it seem that people in general are so shit at practicing gratitude which is why theres that saying you dont know what you got till its gone.
People don't zone in what is great about a person too much, which I also found out is a common factor in successful marriages. The people in good marriages are mostly people who don't dwell on what their partner isn't but more at what they are.

But for all that strife it will cause me, I will only get stronger. I think being different means I simply have to build a strong self in order to survive it earlier than some and might be part of the wisdom I sometimes garner in that I experience some harsh things before my age group will or at least ill think about them.

Really it's a blessing if you treat it as one other wise you're in hell.
I think it's said sometimes that INFP's feel the most deeply or intensely though we're often associated with being sad and stuff that's people and their shit attitudes because they fail to mention the intense happiness we can feel. It swings both ways, though we can go very down hill, we can feel so wonderful when things are going our way.
Appreciating the beauty around us, days when I love the world and myself.
So if I think this is a curse then i'm wanting to experience less variance in high to lows.
But when I figure out how to live in a way that really works for me, I will still get sad but I tell ya, i'll be so much more happier than the people around me.
I'll will have grown into a man who has embraced himself and the world around him and has learnt how to be happy.
But im sure any individual eventually becomes a happier person with age unless they dont let them self.
I dont think happiness is necessarily a choice but you can certainly be happier than you usually are if you consciously try to not get sucked into a dark hole in yourself being miserable, its a constant struggle but happiness is worth it.

I will only get better if I practice and I will learn how to enjoy the time I have been given to live.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
A blessing and a curse, in my opinion. It gives me the drive to make the world a better place for people. I want to understand the world and why we are the way we are. I am very kind, compassionate, and can be a great listener. I don't conform because it is "the right thing to do." I stick to my principles, and I know why I feel the way I do about them.

Though, I feel too much. I can feel all of the sadness as well as the happineess. Most of my family (All SJ's) Think my ideals "strange" or "pointless". I want to be able to fix the world, whether others are there by my side or not, but I can't help but feel that I will never make a difference in this world, me just being one of seven billion people.

Reactions: ImminentThunder

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Every type has their own strong and weak points. The curse isn't being an NF in itself, it's that the world at large is less tolerant and valuing towards us. But the blessing is, if we can survive the naysayers, carve our own niche, and be confident in ourselves, we'll have developed an inner strength few people have. The way the world is sort of pressures us to do this anyway.

People kept trying to tie me down and tell me that my dreams weren't achievable.
These are the people we shouldn't listen to, as well as those who say the world can't be helped. They may have their own reasons and good intentions, but their answers won't work for us. And making others lose hope in the world will lessen their motivation to do anything about it, which means thing'll get worse, which'll make more people lose hope. It's a cycle we have to break, moving in the opposite direction.

Gandhi said to be the change we wish to see in the world. If we can be an example to others, there's always a chance that people will be inspired and become better persons themselves. I'd say do what you can. Some people are naturally inclined to working at the large-scale, while others are better just doing their part, donating, recycling, being kind to others. And personally, I believe that even if we're trying to help others and make the world a better place, we still have a right to be happy ourselves. We didn't ask to be born in an imperfect world, so we might as well enjoy the ride.

I like this site. We can help feed the hungry from our homes, and on top of that we also get the opportunity to learn new things. :)

Reactions: strawberryLola

·
Registered
142 Posts
To the NFs,

How do you feel about being an NF? Is it a blessing or a curse to you?

This is my personal view of myself: [and a question to you]
I quite consider it as a curse to be me. So many needy, poor people out there..are struggling to live for each and every day. There are still parts where people are still illiterate and have high prejudices, like difference between rich and poor, white skinned and dark skinned and so many, differences of religion (yes, they STILL exist). I feel bad..very bad, annoyed and disheartened when I see these people suffering. My words are really insufficient to express my sadness..so so SOOO much of corruption everywhere, crude, insensitive cowards everywhere..sometimes it becomes too much for me to take all these. I feel heartbroken that I can't simply do ANYTHING about this..I can't improve this world in anyway..I know, I'm still young, but yet...I feel that I'm responsible if I don't take any step...we're sent to this world to serve others, to make a good improvement and impact, on others..not to just achieve our own goals and stop giving a fuck to the world.
And I can't do anything..I'm just watching these people suffer each and everyday..and then enjoying.. and being mean and selfish..I simply feel like a waste who can take and return nothing..and I feel the urge to do SOMETHING at least..but what? And how? I'm tired of these people..simply tired, and I being only one person, can't improve the world, so how?? Day by day, will people become more mean and selfish? Will it worsen more?? How will I tolerate it then? How???
I've always tried to ignore the injustices out there, know that there are far too many for you to do anything about.

I always told myself if I am well off and successful I will donate to organizations that help 3rd world countries etc. but other than that what can I really do? Not a lot.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Blessing all the way. Every type is blessed to be themselves. Including the Idealist NFs. Any possible "curse" about being oneself is a matter of flawed perspective, not reality.

NFs have SO MUCH to love about themselves. Even the empathy alluded to in the first post. It is beautiful to feel sad for those who are in trouble. Fear not, be yourselves, and just be the best person you can be-that way, you probably are already making the world a better place for us to live, whether you are extroverted/introverted, a homebody, or a busy activist. There's so much to love about the "dreamy" qualities of many NFs, and I quite love being myself. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts