Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I watched a podcast of Personalityhacker on Youtube talking about their recent workshop/retreat (The Way of the Symbols) with Uranio Paes and Beatrice Chestnut on the spiritual uses of the Enneagram:

In this lenghty video, one tiny quote caught my attention (I'm paraphrasing) : Antonia and Joel describe the blindspot instinct as a beachball that we continuously push below water in an attempt to not deal with it (if I remember correctly). However, said beachball keeps popping up as a natural way of erupting unconsciously.

This intrigued me, so I looked for additional sources. I went to look for articles on Katherine Fauvre's website and surprise surprise! the first blog article was a about the third instinct : Is One Instinctual Type More Trouble Than The Others? Is The Third Instinct Blind? Where Did That Belief Come From?

Here's the aformentioned quote btw :
Working with so many people in such a short period of time, I found that the third instinct was immature rather than blind. That is when I changed the word from blind to immature because once it was brought into awareness it could mature at an impressively rapid rate.

The last to be detected as problematic were the nonchalant aspects of the second instinct. The issue was the hidden parts of the second instinct that were not easy to see, at first glance that is. 😉 This seemed to pose many problems not easily seen as coming from the primary instinct.... and this is where people could easily stack their instincts in an order that may not be the most accurate.
What do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
INTP 873 sp/sx VLEF melancholic
17,301 Posts
Third instinct is immature but really it's also weakness incarnate. So you can mature it but it's just not going to be.. strong. A bit like planting a seed for a flower.

Reactions: Karkino

·
Registered
589 Posts
Agreed with 'immature vs. blind'. One aspect about instincts though...... nobody refers to them in defense mech terms, just glowing BS. "i like this bc....."

If you're mature, you know whether this thing you like is good for you, or bad. Whether you are acting out, projecting, or attempting recapture the teat.

All you have to do is admit it. Some ppl will never see this clearly for themselves though. At some point there's also a level of ability, unpacking this personal BS. I know some old folks that are dumber or as defensive as a box of rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.