Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people blog? I have started a travel blog since many people have asked me to start it. I guess I see my traveling as normal from an ENTP Type 7 perspective but most people think it's crazy or something. Right now I'm learning the ropes of Wordpress while trying to juggle everything else. Does anyone else blog and if so, how successful are you with it? How long did it take for you to get the hang of things before you felt comfortable? Right now I'm focused on generating content and fixing things. I took Leo Babula's Zenhabits minimalist theme for the time being just so I could focus mainly on content.

My blog is Home - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Criticize it tell me how I can improve. Also, share your blogs if you have one and let's bounce ideas off each other and hopefully improve our craft.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I've been blogging privately for the last five years as a means to learn through reflection. It has also been amazing to look back 3-5 years and look at the person I was back then.

I started a public blog last September based on my teaching career. It's partially a means to help me work on my writing, but I also wanted to share my experiences. It can be found here: bigstupidgrin's teaching blog

Funny, I'm a 7 too. I'm trying to reconcile the 7 type with being INFP. I'm very outwardly a 7 in the classroom (enthusiast+generalist), but Introverted in that I need a break from too many public interactions.

I'm enjoying the Canada post, I'm planning on visiting Vancouver in the summer. WTF is a McBistro?!? :laughing:

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started a public blog last September based on my teaching career. It's partially a means to help me work on my writing, but I also wanted to share my experiences. It can be found here: bigstupidgrin's teaching blog
Cool. I'll have to check it out. It is interesting reading about stuff like common core and other stuff that affects how kids learn.

I'm enjoying the Canada post, I'm planning on visiting Vancouver in the summer. WTF is a McBistro?!? :laughing:
I said the same thing until I tried it. It's a chicken sandwich on a bistro bun. It's actually really good. I know McDonalds is as American and generic as it gets so I had to order one of the one things that wasn't on the US menu.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Wordpress should have plenty of free templates/themes to spruce up that white background.

I started mine last year during the downtime between graduating and getting a job as an experiment to organize various fields of philosophy/psychology whilst improving my art/design skills. Philosophy mind maps!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wordpress should have plenty of free templates/themes to spruce up that white background.

I started mine last year during the downtime between graduating and getting a job as an experiment to organize various fields of philosophy/psychology whilst improving my art/design skills. Philosophy mind maps!
What kind of background would you recommend. I chose white since it was simplistic and focused on content. Since I'm doing a travel blog, what do you think would work well?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
What kind of background would you recommend. I chose white since it was simplistic and focused on content. Since I'm doing a travel blog, what do you think would work well?
I'd be curious if there was some script for making an auto-collage of all the photos/media that you upload onto the site which would keep updating as the background. There's also typical sunset/exotic landscape templates but that would also depart from the minimalist theme. Maybe turn the links on the main page into a map with all the places that you visited and have some option for "random tours".

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be curious if there was some script for making an auto-collage of all the photos/media that you upload onto the site which would keep updating as the background. There's also typical sunset/exotic landscape templates but that would also depart from the minimalist theme. Maybe turn the links on the main page into a map with all the places that you visited and have some option for "random tours".
The map is a good idea once I do build up some more content. I could see once I have more posts how a map would be a cool idea and you could click on points on the map and it will show you stories and pictures.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The map is a good idea once I do build up some more content. I could see once I have more posts how a map would be a cool idea and you could click on points on the map and it will show you stories and pictures.
Maybe even have a way to auto-upload pictures that you've taken with GPS info onto that map with short descriptions. String those landmarks together in a sequence and you'll have a virtual-tour narrative.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Hmm your template does not seem to have any style, at least as I'm viewing it on my iPad? One advice: would be great if your template is responsive, adaptive to different devices like smartphones and tablets. Personally I use blogspot and got a free template made by someone else which is minimalist and responsive, then tweaked a few details to adjust. Due to privacy reasons I can only share it by PM if you are interested, thought there are many free templates with minimalist designs around so if you know some basics about coding then you will be able to have a decent looking blog without too much effort.
Personally I have not worked with Wordpress, but blogspot is easy to manage and basically just copy past or upload templates.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Welcome to the world of travel blogging. Could this thread also be a "Type 7's Unite" kinda thing? :p

Your content is good so far. It can sometimes be a real beyotch to change your theme once you get a lot of content, so don't leave it too long to choose one. Make sure to choose a responsive theme, because most people browse on tablets and smartphones rather than laptops and PCs these days. You definitely want something with a bit more flash to grab people's attention and keep them on your page. However, you don't want it so busy that it makes people's brains explode either. It's a balancing act.

My travel blog: Tales from the Backpack - I'm doing some upgrades to both the blog and my photo gallery so there are a lot of missing photos and some outdated tags and links at the moment.

I've been using Wordpress since I started and have been happy with it. I've had to learn a bit of CSS coding to make tweaks here and there, but generally I just use the free themes.

I earn a couple bucks per month off the ad revenue with around 2000 unique visitors per month. I don't blog for the income though. When I first started travelling, first-hand accounts were hard to find, so I started the blog to inform/inspire others.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm not sure this really counts as a blog, but I own this site with two other women:

Nutritional Anarchy

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
^^^ Lol. Yeah, that tends to happen. That's why I still haven't finished updating mine. Too busy doing,to spend time telling. It's not a bad problem to have!

·
MOTM Aug 2014
4,986 Posts
I started my own blog in January, it's a great way to relieve stress! I use it as my own personal online diary :).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been blogging since 2004 and have settled my blog under a particular domain name since 2006. A few years ago, I've deleted all the posts because they were not about me anymore. Now it is a personal photo blog that I haven't updated in about a year. There are a few posts with pictures of places I've travelled to, other posts have pictures of my cats.

Wordpress is a great platform and having your own host gives you priceless freedom to customize your blog. I've learned to code this way and ended up working as a web designer and developer for quite awhile.

If you want a tip, it is important to have the posts more easily accessible and diminish the number of clicks to view your content. Also, if you care, page hits and interaction depend more on networking than on the quality of your posts.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^ Lol. Yeah, that tends to happen. That's why I still haven't finished updating mine. Too busy doing,to spend time telling. It's not a bad problem to have!
Yeah I traveled about 400 miles from Austin to Lubbock for work on Monday. Came back Wednesday and drove 400 miles back to Austin. Then my brother and I traveled 1300 miles to Wisconsin, where I am at now. Definitely been busy and have to write on my Lubbock experiences and eventually my Wisconsin experiences. Between work and personal travel when next week is said and done in the past month I'll have drive over 7000 miles.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
@PowerShell
I checked out your blog. It's a travelogue, right? If so, I think the photos deserve an upgrade. They looked like cellphone photos (is it an iPhone? doesn't look like iphone photos).

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
I have an art blog. No words but just art. It's where I archive things that I create, so that when I die I can bequeath it to my nearest next-of-kin without the personal woes and unnecessary stuffs to remember me by.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts