Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find yourself doing this sometimes?

Like, "Oh I noticed that you have ears that look like Spock".

Reactions: Kizuna and Angelus

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
No, I never do that. I am always trying to think of good things about a person, so when I do think something negative about a person, I never say it.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I don't know that I would tie this to a function so much as the way someone had been socialized and adapted. On some level the person thinks that this is an okay thing to do, so we'd have to figure out why (was it ever appropriate at some point for example). If a person does something, say at a young age, and it works out for them in whatever way, there is often the tendency to keep doing it (imagine a class clown getting a positive response, continues to be a class clown even at 50 years old, even if that same behavior is now detrimental to his career).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I often makes statements like these before I realize that the other person could take offense...

I never however bring up features that are obviously a bad thing. I never actually want to offend the person.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I often makes statements like these before I realize that the other person could take offense...

I never however bring up features that are obviously a bad thing. I never actually want to offend the person.
Yes, in all the examples I can think of with INFJs: it's not as if they mean offense. Yet it is so blatantly offensive, that it's kind of mind-blowing that it doesn't get perceived this way. It's like the Fe-filter is absent. That's what makes it likely to be inferior-Se, which has a tendency to be verbally scathing of things that "aren't quite right" in the environment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No! I would never hurt or offend someone. If I spot something negative about them I'd at least keep it to myself or forget it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I only do that when I know the person isn't self-conscious about it or is likely to joke about it. Like, teasing my sister for having a flat ...well. :D I myself am mostly on the receiving end of such remarks, and I have a hard time erasing them from my memory. Things like, "why are you SO thin (+intense, serious look)?!" or "you're neither pretty nor ugly,.. or you're both! haha."

was soll's :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
Absolutely not! I'm not that socially inept, and that's pretty funny because I can do weird things in social situations. lol! But I never comment on someone's appearance unless it's something I know is 100% positive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm.. I'm not quite sure this counts as a negative blurt but....

Today at the office one of my coworkers was offered to smoke a cigarette, knowing that he was trying to quit I said:

"Noooooo~ Look at how attractive *Insert Name* looks! If he smokes a cigarette he will turn into a smelly bum and his teeth will fall out!"

It was out of my mouth before I could process it, and then I was embarrassed. I will add though, coffee + me = overdrive. (I have fun)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
No, my Fe would prevent me from doing this. Think it? Yes. Say it. No. I might point out that someone looks a bit like such and such famous person, or point out positive things.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I've seen INFJs do this, and it's because they have a Fe fail moment and don't see the common meaning of such a statement (ie. it has a negative meaning that is de-valuing). Pe-doms can have trouble with filters on their mouths, so yeah, I see this as inferior Se.

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Oh I noticed that you have ears that look like Spock".
Actually I like the way spocks ears look... Haha:tongue:
But yeah, sometimes when I'm really tired I'll blurt things out just to make conversation and even when I totally mean to compliment someone, it somehow comes out as an insult. I probably would say something like that ^ actually intending it to be a compliment.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen INFJs do this, and it's because they have a Fe fail moment and don't see the common meaning of such a statement (ie. it has a negative meaning that is de-valuing). Pe-doms can have trouble with filters on their mouths, so yeah, I see this as inferior Se.
What is this Pe-dom you speak of?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
What is this Pe-dom you speak of?
I'm honestly not sure if you're joking or really asking... at 5,000+ posts I'm guessing it's a joke.

I'm not feeling particularly witty atm...sooo....

Literal response - extroverted perceiving dominant types

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm honestly not sure if you're joking or really asking... at 5,000+ posts I'm guessing it's a joke.

I'm not feeling particularly witty atm...sooo....

Literal response - extroverted perceiving dominant types
I do not jibe.

What would an example of this "extroverted perceiving dominant type" be?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I do not jibe.

What would an example of this "extroverted perceiving dominant type" be?
Ne dominants - ENFP & ENTP
Se dominants - ESTP & ESFP

Those 4 types are extroverted perceiving types.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ne dominants - ENFP & ENTP
Se dominants - ESTP & ESFP

Those 4 types are extroverted perceiving types.
Oh okay. I think it's the use of the Extraverted Perceiving Dominant that was getting me. The reason being; that the dominant seems superfluous and potentially contradictory when combined in any other form. It becomes particularly confusing, as the introverted types don't hold true for the concept of a perceiving and judging function when used in this sense.

Reactions: Seph

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Oh okay. I think it's the use of the Extraverted Perceiving Dominant that was getting me. The reason being; that the dominant seems superfluous and potentially contradictory when combined in any other form. It becomes particularly confusing, as the introverted types don't hold true for the concept of a perceiving and judging function when used in this sense.
Well, sometimes I say "Pe types" and it's understood to mean type which prefer Pe (IxxPs also), not just Pe-dom. So I was making that distinction by adding "dominant".

1 - 20 of 69 Posts