Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a place to post little passages or quotes that have really struck you during your readings :happy:

I actually created this thread recently, and misspelled the title! The perfectionist in me couldn't handle it, so I am making this new thread before the other one gets many more responses. I will quote the responses from the previous thread to start this out :laughing:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

The mind..It's an engine essentially ... And we don't even know what half of them do. Buy if just one gears slips, just one ....That's its all trappd in here and you can't ge to it and you don't really control. But it controls you, doesn' it. And if it decided one day that is does'nt feel like comin to work ...Well, then yout prety much good and fucked aren't you.

Lunar Eclipse
I have been reccommended this book, wow, I really ought to read it :p

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a little dialogue from We the Living by Ayn Rand. The main character, Kira, has gone without a thought to be with the man she loves:

"Leo was asleep, his head thrown back, one arm hanging over the edge of the bed. Her stockings were on the floor, her dress--on a bed post. Leo's eyelashes moved slowly; he looked up and said: 'Good morning, Kira.'
She stretched her arms and crossed them behind her head, and threw her head back, shaking the hair off her face, and said: 'I don't think my family will like it. I think they'll throw me out.'
'You're staying here.'
'I'll go to say goodbye.'
'Why go back at all?'
'I suppose I must tell them something.'
'Well, go. But don't take long. I want you here.'"

I love this... Ayn Rand is all about pursuing your own happiness, and this is a really sexy example of that ;)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Where is it I've read that someone condemned to death says or think, an hour before his death, that if he had to live on some high rock, on such a narrow ledge that he'd only room to stand, and the ocean, everlasting darkness, everlasting solitude, everlasting tempest around him, if he had to remain standing on a square yard of space all his life, a thousand years, eternity, it were better to live so than to die at once! Only to live, to live and live! Life, whatever it may be!"

Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment.
I love this one :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert:

"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master..."

Not sure if I agree with the last couple paragraphs, but thought-provoking nonetheless :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
"If there is no love in the world, we will make a new world, and we will give it walls, and we will furnish it with soft, red interiors, from the inside out, and give it a knocker that resonates like a diamond falling to a jeweler's felt so that we should never hear it. Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does" --- Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything is Illuminated

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
“I feel the same way about solitude as some people feel about the blessing of the church. It’s the light of grace for me. I never close my door behind me without the awareness that I am carrying out an act of mercy toward myself.”

Smilla, from Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
"Cynics are simply thwarted romantics" --- William Goldman - The Princess Bride.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A very old thread but I thought I would revive it since I very much like the idea.

Unfortunately I'm not at home right now so don't have a lot of books with me...but here's a bit I actually have saved on my computer, though I'm not sure it makes much sense if you don't know the book. I think it stayed in my mind because it's the moment when the two main characters, who are essentially dichotomies, finally unite. There's something else about it though- it's a pretty short children's lit sort of book, but I've read it over and over. Kate DiCamillo has magic in her characters.

He took a breath. He opened his mouth and let the words fall out. "I know where there's a tiger."
Sistine stood in the drizzly rain and stared at him, her eyes black and fierce.
She didn't say "A real one?"
She didn't say "Are you crazy?"
She didn't say "You're a big old liar."
She said one word: "Where?"
And Rob knew then that he had picked the right person to tell.

-The Tiger Rising, Kate DiCamillo

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
What a great idea for a thread! :D These one's always stayed with me:

You expected to be sad in the fall. Part of you died each year when the trees and their branches were bare against the wind and the cold, wintry light. But you knew there would always be the spring, as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason.

In those days though, the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

-Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast.

For years afterward when Amory thought of Eleanor he seemed to still hear the wind sobbing around him and sending chills into the places beside his heart.... Eleanor was, say, the last time evil crept close to him under the mask of beauty, the last weird mystery that held him in wild fascination and pounded his soul to flakes.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise.

And one of the greatest openings in all of literature:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down to the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita.

And one of the greatest endings:

As I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in the vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eludes us then, but that's no matter--to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--

And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
From Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert:

"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master..."
I found this profound because I met a person like this once in my life. Meeting her changed my life forever. It was only a brief time but I absorbed everything about her.

Was she a soul mate? I'll never know for sure. I not only do not regret that she came and went in my life, but I feel that the experience of meeting her was crucial in my understanding of myself. You can't beat that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
"He is so gentle, yet so wise; his mind so cultivated, and when he speaks, although his words are culled with the choicest art, yet they flow with rapidity and unparallelled eloquence"
- Frankenstein

I don't know why this struck me so, but there was something about the entire sentence that made me want to keep it in my notebook forever just so I could read it again and again.

Also:

"Every configuration of people is an entirely new universe unto itself"
- Bitterblue

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
"I wonder if they'll remember me and my existence? She thought that might be too hard for them. It was easy to deny Midori's existence, so she imagined their memories would eventually melt away like a light dusting of snow.

But even so . . . Midori poured her abundance of thoughts and feelings into Dragonblossom before throwing the sword point-first into the ground. Dragonblossom shone like a shooting star as it fell, landing upright in the ground as it hit the earth.

The light Tri-Edge had shot at Midori began to devour her body, which was quickly losing form. All of the memories she had compiled were deleted in the blink of an eye.
Midori curled into a fetal position and hugged her knees. She maintained that position, even as her body began to change. It was like watching evolution on rewind. As soon as she lost her human form, she transformed from a mammal to a reptile, then to an amphibian, and then to a fish. Eventually she transformed into an embryo. But she was unable to remain in that form as she shrank down to a single cell.
The light that had filled the world vanished. Midori and Tri-Edge were both gone by the time the world went black once more.

CC Corp had begun its maintenance."

^--- .hack//Cell V.2

·
Banned
678 Posts
Time has transfigured them into
Untruth. The stone fidelity
They hardly meant has come to be
Their final blazon, and to prove
Our almost-instinct almost true:
What will survive of us is love.

An Arundel Tomb - Philip Larkin

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Took this pic myself a week ago. It's my newest edition of Anne of Avonlea. This quote summarizes my entire existence.

anne.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a booklet where I write down all quotes that strike me as inspirational or insightful or that capture my feeling very good. Here are two or three that I wrote in there.

Anne Rice - The Wolf Gift: "Oh, if the moon only had a secret, if the moon only held a truth. But the moon was just the moon."

Longing perfectly set into words imo.

In the following quotes Le Guins Taoist leanings come through clearly:

Ursula K. Le Guin - The Earthsea Quartet:

"Deep are the springs of being, deeper than life, than death."

"In that moment Ged understood the singing of the bird, and the language of the water falling in the basin of the fountain, and the shape of the clouds, and the beginning and end of the wind that stirred the leaves: it seemed to him that he himself was a word spoken by the sunlight."

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have 2 quotes on my wall that i like very much.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, the time will pass anyway. - Earl Knightingale" This quote reminds me that it is okay to dream big, and that it's ok if I'm not progressing as fast as others are.

"Open your mouth if only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than silence" Reminds me to Live life without spreading negativity, and to always remember that the absence of something is a powerful tool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts