Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo errbody. Let me get some recommendations on good books without massive plot holes or annoying overuse of pseudoscience or melodrama.

I know, I know. Those are big requests, but I believe that we, as ENTPs, can pull together and do this.

Latest books I enjoyed:
Girl who played with fire, Guns with occasional music, The dark tower.

I don't really want to read series books because honestly most of them suck. I like sci-fi (don't like aasimov, do like heinlein and huxley).

Not a fan of non-fiction books because they're usually outdated or incomplete, aaand usually boring.

Shoot!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'll put in a reccommendation for Cory Doctorow's Overclocked. His stories tend to have a neat and eerily accurate-sounding perspective of near-future technology, society, economics etc. I don't have too much to call from his novels as I'm still in the middle of Makers (of which I'm really enjoying btw), but if you wanna get a feel for his tone and style, check out some of his short stories.

Also on another note, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a must-read. No excuses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
uhm.. just a few fiction books I thought were really neat:
detective/mystery/acshun by Boris Akunin: Azazel(The Winter Queen), Turkish Gambit and The Death of Achilles
sci-fi/action/detective/dystopian by Richard Morgan: Altered Carbon; by Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash; by Alfred Bester: The Demolished Man
philosophical/something laid back and boring at first but quite deep in the end... by Muriel Barbery: The Elegance of the Hedgehog
there ought to be other titles as well, I am sure, but I don't think it wort the effort to look them up - unless god forbid, someone really reads our recommendations! :tongue:

Reactions: Dauntless

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
A Clockwork Orange
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dune
Ender's Game
The Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged
Don Quixote
Ulysses (if you dare)

Reactions: Dauntless

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
don't like aasimov
Good taste.

If haven't started on the trek of A Song of Ice and Fire, do it. Fantasy fiction is just the best, renaissance fic less-so, but GRR does it beautifully. Fun characters are fun. Plot's meh. I'm still working my way through the most recent (last?) book, in spite of starting quite a while ago. Helps to not read only just that, lest you start talking like that. Or a dragon.

You'll also get a lot of folks recommending His Dark Materials (though, not necessarily us folks) and you needst be warnst: it panders heavily to people that actually give a shit about aesthetics, and though the lead character is endearing, she's still just a fucking child with authority issues and that'll only carry a lead so far. Even if it can ride armoured bears.

Some of my recent findings in an order influenced by discretion:

Lamb

Hey, it's Christopher Moore, but it's what got me into reading more proactively. Some parts of the story were a little childish, but two lead characters were some of the best I'd read in a long time. It's lengthy, and the plot stalls at times. Those are probably just the parts I just found hard to relate to (like, dancing, or sex) and you can see the ending coming a mile away, but that's done on purpose most likely - just to show you that even if you have it all figured out it can still leave you in tears.

If it's ever been good practice to not read epilogues, now is the time to start. Epilogues ruin everything.

The Fountainhead

Rand philosophy can be pretty ridiculous, but it's healthy absurdity. Anyways her ideas appear pretty easily on the surface, the main character is fun and is such an INTJ cutie. Like I would let that ginger

rape the fuck out of me
any morning after taking stroll at my father's coal mines.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Won itself a Pulitzer in 2001. Balls was that a fun read. Magic, quick plot development, and the author make his toons meld in nicely in the story which makes it feel legit as you read. I'm glad not all books read as easily as this one, otherwise I'd spend more of my time reading. Not too lengthy, and it'll be over before your ready for it to be. S' a plus.

Ever wanted to get into philosophy but hate philosophy? Try on some Dostoevsky, most markedly Notes From Underground, Crime and Punishment, and The Bothers Karamazov. Quick and painful, just like he likes it. Better than Brackwater in terms of concisity because Dostoevsky doesn't have that lovably hateable tendency to leave huge gaps in the story.

It's more like watching a deeply methodical flick at 1.5x the speed. It's awesome.

Other fun pretentious reads involve The Schopenhauer Cure (Nietzsche meets fiction), Catcher in the Rye, and The Giving Tree. All weigh up equally on the scale of merit in my opinion, though TPC can drag on sometimes (the little aphorisms offered at the beginning at every chapter are downright sexy, however).

Cat's Cradle was nice, and you can't go wrong with the Vonn (except of course with Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions, The Sirens of Titans, and Slapstick). Feels and humor.

Douglas Adams is pretty cool, but he can get annoying fast if you don't space out your sittings with his work.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Good taste.

Douglas Adams is pretty cool, but he can get annoying fast if you don't space out your sittings with his work.
And Adams's later books are depressing and unfunny. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is probably his best book - intricate and clever.

What about Umberto Eco and Salman Rushdie? Borges? Calvino?

China Miéville? Christopher Priest? Tim Powers?

Neil Gaiman

Silverlock (John Myers Myers)

Jurgen (James Branch Cabell)

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Surfaces and Essences, Douglas Hoffstadter and Emmanuel Sander

I just bought it this afternoon, but, it looks really promising. The premise is show how our mind interprets language, and continues to form concepts and how those concepts are formed by different media, etc. It really looks like the everything of everything of symbolic communication with some absurdities thrown in for good measure.

Other then that, I'm reading a lot of things written by guys wearing togas.

Vonnegut was suggested, and I actually liked Slaughterhouse 5 and Breakfast of Champions. I started reading Franz Kafka's The Trial this past week and love it so far. Mind you, I go for a lot of absurd or existential fiction. Albert Camus, I really like. I'm still uncertain of what to make of Journey to the End of the Night, L-F Celine.

Sci-Fi, Douglas Adam's mentioned already, but I also really likes Jules Verne. Check out How to Live in a Science Fictional Universe. I liked it, but it's been a love/hate sort of thing when I mentioned it to others. We by Evgeny Zamyatin is awesome if you get the Natasha Randall translation.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
@The Experiment

Which guys in togas?

Yes - Jules Verne's brilliant. (I've got the complete works on my Kindle. The wonders of modern technology!) If we're talking about 19th C & earlier classics, what about:
H.G. Wells
H. Rider Haggard
Robert Louis Stevenson (The Wrong Box & The New Arabian Nights)
Alexandre Dumas
E.T.A. Hoffmann
Voltaire (Candide)
Jonathan Swift

Plays: George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, J.B. Priestley

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
@Cosmic Hobo

Just the usual thinkers, Plato and Aristotle. I did read Homer, Sophacles and some Aristophanes in the past. I must prefer Aristotle as a thinker, but I have this strange fascination with Plato considering that both French and Spanish have a transient and permanent version of the verb to be; and I just have to draw a blank to what they are.

The theory of Ideas, allegory of the cave, etc. are way cool considering the same thought can apply today if you're getting into multiple dimensions, parallel worlds, etc. But yeah, I used to hate reading up until I was 15 and read Voltaire. Speaking of which:

Romances, novels, and tales, Voltaire : Voltaire, 1694-1778 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Romances, novels, and tales, Voltaire : Voltaire, 1694-1778 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Just check out archive.org in general

·
Banned
465 Posts
A Clockwork Orange
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dune
Ender's Game
The Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged

Don Quixote
Ulysses (if you dare)
No. Replace those two with 1984 and Animal Farm ​and then you have yourself a respectable list.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. Replace those two with 1984 and Animal Farm ​and then you have yourself a respectable list.
Hahaha, yeah. I don't plan to read any Ayn Rand in this lifetime. I'm in the middle of reading both Animal Farm and 1984, but I stopped reading 1984 because I was bummed out already and the Ministry of Love is no picnic.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hahaha, yeah. I don't plan to read any Ayn Rand in this lifetime. I'm in the middle of reading both Animal Farm and 1984, but I stopped reading 1984 because I was bummed out already and the Ministry of Love is no picnic.
The meaning of gloom isn't a boot stamping on a human face forever - it's having to read and reread 1984, churn out essays and tests and quizzes, for an entire semester. It's a good book - but English teachers tend to think that literature is cod liver oil for the soul.

·
Banned
465 Posts
The meaning of gloom isn't a boot stamping on a human face forever - it's having to read and reread 1984, churn out essays and tests and quizzes, for an entire semester. It's a good book - but English teachers tend to think that literature is cod liver oil for the soul.
Maybe I'm glad then that I didn't have to read it in school, or The Catcher in the Rye for that matter either. I read both of those on my own time, and I loved them a lot more than any of the books I was forced to read for school. I can't help but wonder if I would've liked them as much if I had to write a bunch of essays and shit to go along with them like a lot of people do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts