Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm in search of awesome books! I want something jam-packed with meaning and amazingness. My current favorites right now are the Hunger Games and The Knife of Never Letting Go. What are some amazing books? I feel like, as INFP's, we are more deep in thought and thus tend to be very good at analyzing books.

GIVE ME AN AWESOME BOOK TO READ.

There are somethings that I won't tolerate, such as love at first sight, a weak female character who doesn't grow, and a crappy plot line that doesn't make sense (ahem, Twilight). I want a book that's realistic with the way people act and how things would happen.

I LOVE fantasy/romance/action. Hehe. YEA. But it doesn't have to be any of this, it just has to be really good. I don't know who to believe when it comes to good books. Nothing superficial, kay?

I TRUST YOU ALL.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Toni Morrison's Sula, Beloved and The Bluest Eye(which im working on right now)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

Here's a brief review from Publisher's Weekly:

This audacious, mesmerizing novel should carry a warning: "Reader Beware." Those entering the world of carnival freaks described by narrator Olympia Binewski, a bald, humpbacked albino dwarf, will find no escape from a story at once engrossing and repellent, funny and terrifying, unreal and true to human nature. Dunn's vivid, energetic prose, her soaring imagination and assured narrative skill fuse to produce an unforgettable tale. The premise is bizarre. Art and Lily, owners of Binewski's Fabulon, a traveling carnival, decide to breed their own freak show by creating genetically altered children through the use of experimental drugs. "What greater gift could you offer your children than an inherent ability to earn a living just by being themselves?" muses Lily. Eventually their family consists of Arty, aka Arturo the Aqua Boy, born with flippers instead of limbs, who performs swimming inside a tank and soon learns how to manipulate his audience; Electra and Iphigenia, Siamese twins and pianists; the narrator, Oly; and Fortunato, also called the Chick, who seems normal at birth, but whose telekinetic powers become apparent just as his brokenhearted parents are about to abandon him. More than anatomy has been altered. Arty is a monsterpower hungry, evil, malicious, consumed by "dark, bitter meanness and . . . jagged rippling jealousy." Yet he has the capacity to inspire adoration, especially that of Oly, who is his willing slave, and who arranges to bear his child, Miranda, who appears "norm," but has a tiny tail. A spellbinding orator, Arty uses his ability to establish a religious cult, in which he preaches redemption through the sacrifice of body partsdigits and limbs."I want the losers who know they're losers. I want those who have a choice of tortures and pick me." This raw, shocking view of the human condition, a glimpse of the tormented people who live on the fringe, makes readers confront the dark, mad elements in every society.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Lady Chatterley's Lover- D.H Lawrence
Henry and June- Anais Nin

Reactions: under skies

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld is great. It's also quite dystopic like the hunger games but in a different way.

Or Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. It's about demon-hunting people called shadowhunters in a steampunk, victorian era London . It is planned to be a trilogy. I swear this book is pure AWESOMENESS

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Henry and June- Anais Nin
I've been wanting to read Anais Nin for some time now due to the inspirational quotes I have seen online. Seems like a great read!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I enjoy reading non-fiction. I'd love to hear about some good stuff. The last decent book I read was "Boardwalk Empire". It wasn't up there with " The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" or some such, however. I haven't read "Life" by Keith Richards yet. My brother recommended my reading "The Tipping Point".....

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
hmmm......
I really like The Count of Monte Cristo and The Scarlet Pimpernel and Ivanhoe. You have the realistic historical fiction side, with a tint of fantasy adventure in those as well :)

Also Try Lois McMaster Bujold. The Curse of Chalion - for a more historical fantasy setting, or Cordelia's Honor for a sci-fi setting

·
Registered
120 Posts
I loved the Hunger Games too. I'm currently reading Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer and it's really good. My favorite authors are Chuck Palahniuk and Nick Hornby. Some other books I recommend are Brooklyn by Colm Toibin and the Beach by Alex Garland.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What's Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges is by far my favorite book of all time. I love the gritty look you get inside Gilbert's mind.

Anything Hunter S Thompson is great too.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Crime and Punishment- Dostoevsky, anything Jane Austen, anything Palahniuk (well, his older stuff. Snuff is gross.), Oscar Wilde, A Fraction of the Whole- Steve Toltz, The Unbearable Lightness of Being- Milan Kundera, Sirens of Titan- Vonnegut, Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden. A Clockwork Orange or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time if you want something that comes at you from an interesting new perspective or anything Christopher Moore if you want something fun but also witty. Also Brains by Robin Decker if you like zombies. :tongue:

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
If you like Vampires and want something that's not so stupid teen drama-y, but not totally creepy, Sunshine by Robin McKinley is good. Her fairy tale re-tellings are kind of interesting too, though they feel a bit less serious.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Almost anything by Philip K Dick for brain bending, Dilbert books by Scott Adams for the oh so true laughs, Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast for the dark side of the worlds policeman aka USA...other than that any of David Mitchell books would be a very good choice

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just start reading books off published top 100 novels of the 20th century lists. That's what I've been doing over the past 6 months, can't really go wrong with any of those books. Some will not be as great as others, it's all subjective but you should enjoy most if not all those books.
interesting - i started to do a similar thing with the 100 greatest Sci Fi books...i will evntually read Stand On Zanzibar

1 - 20 of 33 Posts