Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You don't see the greatness of this book because you see a hat and not a boa constrictor swallowing an elephant..
As Grehoy mentioned, I'm not an NF, lol.
That is akin to saying I am not an NF. What kind of book had the most appeal and effect on you for instance?
The LOTR trilogy was the first to grab me and hasn't let go yet. Song of Fire and Ice series, Book of the New Sun series, Black Company series, Dragonrider series, Dune series, and many more sci-fi and fantasy series. I've read hundreds of classic novels as a child but none grabbed me like sci-fi and fantasy.

·
Registered
739 Posts
As Grehoy mentioned, I'm not an NF, lol.
The LOTR trilogy was the first to grab me and hasn't let go yet. Song of Fire and Ice series, Book of the New Sun series, Black Company series, Dragonrider series, Dune series, and many more sci-fi and fantasy series. I've read hundreds of classic novels as a child but none grabbed me like sci-fi and fantasy.
I think those books are similar to Stephen King and Dean Koontz's style. Did you like them by any chance?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read a book when I was 13 years old, and I can't remember the title and it makes me sad. It was historical romance. I remember that the female protagonist found an injured man on the street and took care of him ... was very cute.

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
moby dick. one hundred years of solitude. wuthering heights.

i'm prejudiced. loved moby dick, got crush on ishmael, but once was enough to last me the rest of my life. hated one hundred years, never go back to that one either. guess I think magical realism is stupid. I don't seem to be wired for it.

never read wuthering heights but i did read villette and jane eyre and decided i hate the brontes as well.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,205 Posts
I felt like an asshole during the Little Prince portion of some literature module I had in the past. We had to talk about how moving it was, etc. I think it’s a cute story you can learn from, just not sure about how moving it was for me. Anyway, I chose to neglect being too critical because I was already “unfriendly” back then. Didn’t want to make it worse because I really wanted to have friends lmao. The good old days when I actually tried and I would adjust/do what’s necessary to get friends.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,727 Posts
I've read the three main Lord of the Rings books. I binged the Silmarillion in a weekend. I've read some of the histories of middle earth and the appendixes.

Yet........I cannot make myself finish The Hobbit. I've tried multiple times. I find it extremely boring.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've read the three main Lord of the Rings books. I binged the Silmarillion in a weekend. I've read some of the histories of middle earth and the appendixes.

Yet........I cannot make myself finish The Hobbit. I've tried multiple times. I find it extremely boring.
What's enticing in the others that is lacking the The Hobbit?

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,727 Posts
What's enticing in the others that is lacking the The Hobbit?
I'm not sure I can pinpoint a specific thing, but it never captures my interest. I can't easily force myself to do things I find boring.

It's just mildly amusing because apparently a lot of people have that with the Silmarillion, a book that I couldn't stop reading and found incredibly engaging. I understand that though, because The Hobbit, a children's book, is my Everest.

Everyone has different tastes. I don't really think not reading something that doesn't grab your attention is a bad thing. Many kids are discouraged from reading by being pushed into reading shit they don't find interesting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts