Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have a lot of books in my to-read-list. That doesn't even include the books I haven't bought yet.

I'm into crime novels now. But fiction and adventure with a little hint of comedy will forever be my favorite. Mind suggesting some? I don't care what genre it is in as long as you guys find it interesting. It's because most of the time, I read mainstream books (i.e. harry potter, percy jackson series etc). I think a little change in the books I read would be kind of exciting. I'm not really accustomed to reading books without a story dunno why.

So please?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Flipped through my nook quick for some ideas for you. Comedy's not really my thing, but you may like these.
- Catch 22 and Brave New World- if you missed these in high school english. Worth a reread if you didn't. Very quick reads!
- The Rum Diary- this one always reminds me of The Sun Also Rises, but it's less sad and more funny
- A Confederacy of Dunces- please read this one; it's hysterical. You'll love it. Little longer though.
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court- so long, but so worth it. Adventure plus comedy.
Just a few ideas for you!

·
Spam-I-am
13,740 Posts
006.JPG

just some of the books I have, I have 3 more book shelves full, the ones I have not read are in my car and scattered through my home here and there

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@LadyKitty I'll surely look out for these books the next time I visit the bookstore. May some books occur in your mind, feel free to add them.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If it's comedy you want, nothing beats Kafka.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If short stories are anyone's thing, I'd recommend Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man (they both have a set of short stories that somewhat link up - more so in the former than in the latter). Particularly of note, from memory, were And The Moon Be Still As Bright from The Martian Chronicles, and The Veldt, The Playground, There Will Come Soft Rains, The Long Rain... I can't actually recall which book they're all in, but those stories in particular were ones I recall being quite good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate all your recommendations. The sad thing is that I have to save up before I could afford those books. I'm actually reading the second book of the girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy. It's kinda fun to read. I was looking forward to buying Game of Thrones. Watcha think guys?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I really appreciate all your recommendations. The sad thing is that I have to save up before I could afford those books. I'm actually reading the second book of the girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy. It's kinda fun to read. I was looking forward to buying Game of Thrones. Watcha think guys?
It's A Game of Thrones, the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
Game of Thrones is just the name of the TV series (good show, but still a pretty poor adaptation - especially the way they changed the age of most characters; the ethnicity, sexual orientation, and general appearance of some; and even left a few of my favorite side-characters out of the show altogether).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really appreciate all your recommendations. The sad thing is that I have to save up before I could afford those books.
Is there a used book store around where you live? That's where I do most of my book shopping. You can get amazing deals there, and you can find some real gems that you won't find anywhere else.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I usually hit up the used book store, library, or download epub versions to read on my nook. Otherwise Barnes and Noble would have ALL of my money instead of just a hefty chunk.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Comfortably Numb I actually have one near me. Found an awesome book there once. I'm more into mainstream books though. But I do have fun reading the others. It's just that not being sure if the book is great or not is kinda scary for me. After all, I might end up wasting my money and time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@LadyKitty Great. For me, I want to collect or buy the books I wanna read. That awesome feeling when you first touch the book's cover. And seeing it in the shelf available anytime you want it is kinda comforting. But yeah, it sucks that it has to costs so much. Hopefully, I collect enough books to make a huge library wohoho

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
For comedy nothing beats Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency) and Pratchett (Discworld).

I also recommend Jim Butcher (Dresden Files, Codex Alera) :kitteh:

Kitty Sith Lord

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Fiction and adventure with a hint of comedy:
Seconding Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
George Macdonald Fraser: the Flashman series (historical novels told from the perspective of a thoroughgoing cad)
Jasper Fforde
Robert Rankin
Tom Holt
Jonathan L. Howard: Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
Jonathan Stroud: Bartimaeus series
Mark Gatiss’s Lucifer Box series

Into Doctor Who at all?

Comedy in general: @Comfortably Numb suggested Flann O'Brien. The Third Policeman (about wooden-legged men and the mad philosopher de Selby) is brilliant.
Spike Milligan: Puckoon
Tom Sharpe
Roald Dahl
Evelyn Waugh
Saki

Crime fiction:
John Dickson Carr: impossible murders (people killed in locked rooms, strangled in fields of snow without a footprint being left, people vanishing into thin air); it seems as though the crime could only have been the work of a supernatural force, until it's rationally explained how the crime could have been committed. Very tricky plots, excellent clueing, and a love of Adventure in the Grand Manner. And he writes well, too.
Ellery Queen: the formal detective story at its height: intricate and logically rigorous Challenges to the Reader. (Recommendations: The Tragedy of X; The Greek Coffin Mystery; The Adventures & New Adventures of Ellery Queen.)
S.S. Van Dine: set in 1920s New York, with a Nietzschean Superman detective who solves murders among the intelligentsia. The best is The Bishop Murder Case, which is about Mother Goose rhymes and physics.
Gladys Mitchell's Mrs. Bradley series
G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories

Jorge Luis Borges
Umberto Eco
Italo Calvino

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
@Cosmic Hobo I absolutely LOVE Borges "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", "The Library of Babel", "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote", "Three Visions of Judas", "Ragnarök", etc., ... But it's subtle and intellectual. I dunno. Generally one has to be ready to read Borges to appreciate him.

Kitty Sith Lord

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Cosmic Hobo To tell you honestly, I'm not familiar with any books you've mentioned. But damn, I'm soo excited to read all of this. I can feel my heart pumping so fast right now. Must save up some money. Did you arranged the titles in a certain order? I don't know, like which is the book you like the best perhaps? Thanks!

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
When I was 8, the first series I ever read was a fantasy saga by David Eddings called the Belgariad, followed by the Mallorean, and then finished by.. One more that I forget.

I'm currently re-reading this saga, and am almost finished the Mallorean (I was reading it for 5 hours yesterday), so I will then move onto the third, and then Belgarath the Sorcerer, and Polgara the Sorceress.

Then I can move on with my life and read new books.. There's some kind of.. Mist-something trilogy I was given as a gift that looks interesting. I have a lot of classics that I'll be reading, too.

Books are the best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts