Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we have a lot of resources here and websites that I can go to, but I'm really terrible at reading online. I get distracted and whatnot. I'm interested in getting more involved in knowing about MBTI, but I'd like to look through some actual books. Does anyone know of any good hands-on materials that they recommend?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked that up, and it looks pretty great. I'd like to see the test that it comes with to see how similar or different it is from the tests I've taken online. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I did some looking around, and I found this:
Amazon.com: Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work (9780440507048): Otto Kroeger, Janet M. Thuesen: Books

The reviews I've read say it's mostly a "pop psychology" sort of read. It basically outlines each type in a chapter, telling you what kinds of things you'll find in a person of each type. I think it will be an interesting read, even though it's a bit outdated. Plus I can obtain it for free, thanks to paperback swap :p

I also found a book that's by Isabel Myers Briggs. It's reviews say it's the best book out there to read on MBTI. Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Gifts Differing is a good introduction, but it does not go much more deeplyinto anythingthat you couldn't already find online. It has undertones of being biased towards INFP descriptions. It's a general rundown of the meaning of the four letter code, brief overviews of functions, and some outdated statistics.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eesh. Thanks so much for being so helpful. :) I'll probably keep browsing through different books because I'm a book junkie, and I'll ask if I have any more questions!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I really recommend reading Lovetypes by Dr Alexander Avila. It's an easy and interesting read and is really helping me to distinguish between the 16 different types.
It's built on research and interviews on different romantic couples in different stages of relationship and marriage. It gives an overview of what types seem to be the most content with each other in a relationship, and why.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Please Understand Me II gives a nice basic overview of the types and the functions, but nothing you couldn't find on the internet. Still a decent read in my opinion.

Also, I have no idea what the first book is like since I have yet to actually see it in person. If it even exists.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Please Understand Me II gives a nice basic overview of the types and the functions, but nothing you couldn't find on the internet. Still a decent read in my opinion.

Also, I have no idea what the first book is like since I have yet to actually see it in person. If it even exists.:crazy:
You mean this thing?

Amazon.com: Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types (9780960695409): David Keirsey, Marilyn Bates: Books

I wouldn't mind reading 1 & 2 if I could find them. I might check my library and see if they have 'em.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really recommend reading Lovetypes by Dr Alexander Avila. It's an easy and interesting read and is really helping me to distinguish between the 16 different types.
It's built on research and interviews on different romantic couples in different stages of relationship and marriage. It gives an overview of what types seem to be the most content with each other in a relationship, and why.

This is definitely something I'd like to read up on. I'm quite curious what MBTI research shows about compatible types. I'd like to think that I could overcome any sort of obstacle, but it's still nice to know what the research shows. :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes it does exist...I have the book although it's copyrights are 1978 and 1984. This is the book that led me here and my interest in learning more about myself and others. This is the only book I have on this topic. Would like to get more books on the subject. Thanks to all who suggested helpful books to read. :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts