Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 1585 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I'm feeling especially extraverted tonight so I just wanted to say "Hi, what's up?" and start a random thoughts thread rather than one devoted to a particular topic. I'm settled in for a quiet evening of Monday Night Football and PerC surfing. What are the rest of you doing?

Reactions: Angel Cat

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, technically, I'm too young to be a Boomer. So you and I can be the resident interlopers.

They sure don't make tools like they used to, don't they? My grandfather (born 1891) was a carpenter. We still have all his old tools, in perfect working order.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
House hunting. Some online & some from the car. Planning on moving in January because my commute has gotten really bad. Kind of stressed with all I have to do but exited too. I'd move next month but I don't have enough time off left for this year.

Reactions: damfino

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
House hunting. Some online & some from the car. Planning on moving in January because my commute has gotten really bad. Kind of stressed with all I have to do but exited too. I'd move next month but I don't have enough time off left for this year.
I feel for you. I love the excitement of moving and making a new start - but man, the stress! Best wishes, hope you find a place you love.

Reactions: Aqualung

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I don't really belong with boomers - I am too old. For most things, I am too old. Need back surgery. Too old. I did a little home repairs with a neighbor recently. My claw hammer is 20 years older than he is. My son in 10 years older than he is. Oh, well. Old age doesn't last forever.
How old is your hammer?
I still have my first hammer, a rip hammer I bought from SEARS maybe back in 1981. I've taken such good care of it you can hardly tell that it has been used, actually it hasn't been used very much at all. I had it professionally polished and now retain it as a keepsake of sorts. Hey, I've two dozen other hammers.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Originally posted by Earworms How old is your hammer?
I still have my first hammer, a rip hammer I bought from SEARS maybe back in 1981. I've taken such good care of it you can hardly tell that it has been used, actually it hasn't been used very much at all. I had it professionally polished and now retain it as a keepsake of sorts. Hey, I've two dozen other hammers

I believe I bought it around 1972. It was a plumb 16 ounce fiberglass handle. I redid the first house I owned and put it and a sears direct drive tablesaw to good use. A lufkin folding rule, a 2 foot spitit and a framing squire, 10 point crosscut saw.
I had a cheap Handy Andy hammer earlier - tried to use it for a crowbar, cheap handle broke.
I am on my second lufkin ruler. Still have the two pieces of the old one.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Well, technically, I'm too young to be a Boomer. So you and I can be the resident interlopers.

They sure don't make tools like they used to, don't they? My grandfather (born 1891) was a carpenter. We still have all his old tools, in perfect working order.
. . . And use them every day?:happy:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread, my brain told me it said Boomer Radon Thoughts and I was almost ready to start looking for the results of the testing we had done on our house a few years ago.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Um... no :bored:
Seriously, that is a tie to the past that is priceless. My granddad's tools were scattered by my cousins and are gone. He was a tree feller in the 1900.sbecame a 'house carpenter into his 70's, and when his brother fell from a scaffold in Columbus, MS and was killed, Grandpa put away his tools, did some minor repairs, made a few toys, made me a "youth bed" from picked up things - wood mop handles for spindles, etc.
That was sold for 2 dollars when we left the farm.
Hang on to the things he touched with his hands. . .

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Seriously, that is a tie to the past that is priceless. My granddad's tools were scattered by my cousins and are gone. He was a tree feller in the 1900.sbecame a 'house carpenter into his 70's, and when his brother fell from a scaffold in Columbus, MS and was killed, Grandpa put away his tools, did some minor repairs, made a few toys, made me a "youth bed" from picked up things - wood mop handles for spindles, etc.
That was sold for 2 dollars when we left the farm.
Hang on to the things he touched with his hands. . .
Kind of a sad story.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Kind of a sad story.
Yes. . . but "antiques" have to attain maturity as "junk."
We had a large cast iron pot we heated water for washing clothes and also for rendering lard from hog fat. That was given away -
II saw one a few years ago for $100. It was about 30 inches diameter and 2 feet deep - 50 or so pounds. So I could have lugged it ariound 55 years - maybe paid storage? That is why many of them end up rusting away as planters. That one still had the foundry name in it - from Germany, probably cast in the 1860-70 period, brought over by some immigrant family.
My granddad's 6 foot timber felling saw and the original handles is in my son's possession - pushing 150 years, teeth about filed away. I damn well stole that from a sib that wanted to let it rust away as a lawn ornament.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seriously, that is a tie to the past that is priceless...Hang on to the things he touched with his hands. . .
Which is exactly why I hang onto them. My favorites, though, are the books that were given to him and inscribed by his grandmother around 1905... which he later inscribed to me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I volunteered to work overtime tonight. I will hate myself in the morning and love myself when the paycheck comes.

Reactions: Earworms

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I volunteered to work overtime tonight. I will hate myself in the morning and love myself when the paycheck comes.
A few years back I was working as an occasional assistant proctor, and several of my co-workers were slightly older, already retired. I remember this one guy telling me that he never had so much work offered to him before until he retired, but the caveat was it didn't pay very well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Question: Who is that fantastic redhead we see around here?
Answer: Damn if I know.
I get it! I get it! I am kinda slow at these things. . .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question: Who is that fantastic redhead we see around here?
Answer: Damn if I know.
I get it! I get it! I am kinda slow at these things. . .
It's nearly impossible to read, but if you look at the name on the side of the boat next to Buster Keaton in my avatar - the boat is called "Damfino". The pic is from a classic short of his called "The Boat." Silent, of course. At the end of the movie, Buster and his wife survived the sinking of the boat and find themselves stranded on a desert island. The wife asks, "Where are we?" in subtitles. Buster shrugs and and says, "Damfino!" No subtitles (the word "damn" was too risque for the 20s) but you can clearly read his lips.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
It's nearly impossible to read, but if you look at the name on the side of the boat next to Buster Keaton in my avatar - the boat is called "Damfino". The pic is from a classic short of his called "The Boat." Silent, of course. At the end of the movie, Buster and his wife survived the sinking of the boat and find themselves stranded on a desert island. The wife asks, "Where are we?" in subtitles. Buster shrugs and and says, "Damfino!" No subtitles (the word "damn" was too risque for the 20s) but you can clearly read his lips.
Hey, thanks for the information. I actually wondered a bit about your user name, but not for long, because there are so many odd and unusual names around here to begin with. In fact I didn't even look at your gender. It's not like everyone around here goes by their proper name. By the way, my real name is Alan.

1 - 20 of 1585 Posts