1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spam-I-am
13,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how did our generation manage to survive
We drank, smoked, did drugs, ate foods with DDT
Had the measles, mumps, chicken pox
We played outside w/o sunscreen, in a nut shell did everything modern medicine told us was horribly dangerous
Yet modern society panics every time some one coughs or sneezes
We have become overly paranoid as a society
A nation of sheep who panics every time the weather person forecasts a thunder storm or 2 inches of snow
With the current measles outbreak the media acts like every child will die
Fear and paranoia is the # 1 seller of all time
How/why did we let this happen fellow boomers

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,480 Posts
I was immunized and I never had measles or mumps. Measles is potentially fatal. It can lead to encephalitis or to respiratory or neurological problems. Those of us who did not suffer ill effects from exposure to DDT are fortunate because that stuff is toxic. Hence it was banned.

As for the fear about the weather forecast.... that's probably caused by the underreaction in the past... such as Snowvember when that much snow was not anticipated... and, suddenly, there it was, along with abandoned cars and people stranded just about everywhere! And, of course, there was the infamous October Surprise Storm of 2016. That was a disaster! I think that there is a big fear of another disaster, with abandoned cars, frozen people seeking shelter, and broken tree limbs falling haphazdly onto roadways, cars, houses, electrical lines, etc.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
A truck used to come through our neighborhood about once a week in the 60s & spray a fog of something to kill mosquitoes. My dad said it was probably DDT. It was a little creepy. We made a game of it & tried to run ahead & not let the fog touch us. Loud, going about 8 mph & the whole neighborhood was engulfed in this white cloud of odd smelling stuff. One crazy kid ran behind the truck for about 100 yards. We all laughed, he was coated in clear, oily stink. Hopefully he's alive today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts