Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have been into MBTI for quite some time now and I enjoy reading about it and taking the test over and over. :) But for some reason, my scores are always 'borderline'. For example, my feeling scores usually about 55% and thinking 45%, intuition is about 50-something and thinking a bit less, prospecting vs judging is about the same. Only extraversion wins over introversion every time :).

But what does this mean? Can I even associate myself with any type if I could be most of them? Has this happened to anyone else?

PS. I have taken cognitive functions tests, those scores tend to be quite even as well.

Registered
I think it seems fairly standard for someone to score moderately in the mbti letter stacking.

The cognitive functions test tho I would think should be more telling. For example Ni & Ne are entirely different operating systems and work way different. In order to score high on both, sounds more like possibly an inflated self assessment. Over shooting ability or confusing context of how the different things are two different things. Or just shitty tests.

For example me scoring borderline close to lines equals INFJ/ESTP
The reason that makes sense tho is because it's the reverse order of my cognitive functions.

It does not make sense for you to be all types.
It can make sense for you to have a predominant type and your shadow or duality.

Shrugs I guess to me.

Banned
I have borderlines too. I don't think someone could be an extreme of anything. It's like i have Fi and Fe too you know!!! I can feel it in my bones. XD
I have Ti to i swear. And Ne and Se as well. Can you believe that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I see what you mean! Perhaps I should just accept the results as they are - and maybe it's an ENFP thing to do - to change pretty much every day :)

Thanks!

Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
I would think the theory could go either way. Some say we can develop all eight functions. What if you have recently used two of those? When you take the test, you might go with the orientation of those two functions.

Does the test test what mood or "mental set" you are in right now or does it test your overall state? Does it test what you wish you were or does it test how you really are? What you really are is supposed to be what you are most comfortable with not what you are telling yourself or being told by others what to be. What if you are suppressing functions you aren't even aware of you'd like to use more?

I tell myself I am an INTP. Once I was in a decisive mood and took the test. I came out slightly INTJ. No wonder. Attitudes can be flexible!

Reactions: Agnes2

Registered
One way to think of borderline results is to see them as your level of confidence. If you straddle the line, it means you aren't really that confident about which side of the dichotomy you fall on.

Registered
Don't take the test results seriously. They generally mean nothing. A general MBTI test gives you somewhere to start. You need to work out your cognitive functions. Fi and Fe are different so you are primarily one or the other. Those percentages are so useless IMO that I don't even know why they provide them. If you are an INFP then you are going to use Fi far more than Te that is in your lowest stack. There is a reason why it is so low-order...because your Fi is dominant. If you think you use your T function more frequently than a feeling dominant than you are not a feeling dominant. You might be a S or N dom. There is a balance.

You are an ENFP then having that Fi-Te makes sense if you feel like your thinking and feeling are more on par. Your low order function is Si. But your Te will never overpower your Fi because then you are not an ENFP. Functions can work in different ways so don't get caught up in stereotypes. You have a balanced inner and outer world so all your Intuition/Sensor and Feeling/Thinking all need to pick an outer or inner world to be in harmony.

Registered
You may be INFJ. I was somewhat similar with being close to borderline everything (except introversion-extroversion). And I barely got INFJ, just like you seem to be barely getting those letters. Idk if it is similar for all types, but INFJ is very contradicting of their letters (ex- being great thinkers as well as feelers).

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Don't take the test results seriously. They generally mean nothing. A general MBTI test gives you somewhere to start. You need to work out your cognitive functions. Fi and Fe are different so you are primarily one or the other. Those percentages are so useless IMO that I don't even know why they provide them. If you are an INFP then you are going to use Fi far more than Te that is in your lowest stack. There is a reason why it is so low-order...because your Fi is dominant. If you think you use your T function more frequently than a feeling dominant than you are not a feeling dominant. You might be a S or N dom. There is a balance.

You are an ENFP then having that Fi-Te makes sense if you feel like your thinking and feeling are more on par. Your low order function is Si. But your Te will never overpower your Fi because then you are not an ENFP. Functions can work in different ways so don't get caught up in stereotypes. You have a balanced inner and outer world so all your Intuition/Sensor and Feeling/Thinking all need to pick an outer or inner world to be in harmony.
I just took the cognitive functions test again, and my strongest functions turned out to be Extroverted Feeling and Extroverted Intuition. Extroverted feeling was first, so I could be an ENFJ. I guess then I am not all types, I just had to revisit the functions test. I read about the Fi vs Fe and realised, that I am definitely more Fe, so I guess I've just been confused :) Thanks everyone for posting by the way, I am very glad that you have answered!

Reactions: CrystallineSheep

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 22.01.23.jpg

These are the results of the test!

Edit: I should note, that I took the cognitive functions test a while ago, I retook it today, so perhaps I've changed in the last year or so? I always took the MBTI test, not the cognitive functions one, so perhaps that's where I should have gone in the first place ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The exact center of the personality spectrum.

I think some INTPs would like to study you for scientific purposes.
I guess they would! These results are a bit strange, I agree. But I feel like if I'm forced into a situation that requires a specific function, I will use it without too much hassle. I have even spent a few days at a debating conference, using my Ti as best as I could to solve problems, this wasn't easy and it took me days to readjust.

Registered
You are the missing type! the THAI (the heck am I?) type. The THAI type relates to every type and none of the types all at once. As a result they can end up Thoroughly confused, Hardly understood, Actually rare, and Incredibly awesome. Granted this is all crap I just made up, but it is a start I suppose. XD

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds awesome! I guess I'll be THAI as well then :)

绉併倰鎰涖仐銇
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
@Agnes2

I have been into MBTI for quite some time now and I enjoy reading about it and taking the test over and over. :) But for some reason, my scores are always 'borderline'. For example, my feeling scores usually about 55% and thinking 45%, intuition is about 50-something and thinking a bit less, prospecting vs judging is about the same. Only extraversion wins over introversion every time :).
Scoring higher on a preference does not mean you have 鈥渕ore鈥 of it and a high score for a preference does not imply that you have greater skill or maturity in using a preference.
With this in mind; when you get 55% F and 45% T, what it really means is; you have a 55% chance of you being F and 45% chance of you not being T.
So don't see it as; you are 55% F and 45% T.

What to do when your chances of being a certain dichotomy or cognitive function seems like 50/50;
Read and learn about the theory and then use this as your basis for your type, tests are meant to be a helping/guiding hand on what you might be, not what you are to be.

Best of luck.

Banned
View attachment 665322

These are the results of the test!

Edit: I should note, that I took the cognitive functions test a while ago, I retook it today, so perhaps I've changed in the last year or so? I always took the MBTI test, not the cognitive functions one, so perhaps that's where I should have gone in the first place ;)

According to this test, you'd be an ESFJ.

Have a read:
FeSi (ESFJ) 鈥 Type in Mind

Yes, you're extraverted thinking is higher than your introverted thinking, but that's nothing out of the ordinary in an ESFJ - extraverted thinking works with your extraverted feeling and helps you get the job done, helps you put your feelings aside for more business-like affairs that simply require getting something done.

Where this might manifest in your life, is if you have to sort someone, or something out, that is stirring up the harmony of the group, or when someone hurts a friend or family matter - Te as your 8th function means you really can put aside those feelings of hurting someones feelings, when you need to.

I.E you will knock on the neighbours door and tell him to turn his music down because it's way too loud and everyone is trying to sleep (most likely in a nice enough way).

Having Te as your 8th function means you can't keep that up for long, it's not you, but it's there for when you need to get something done. You'll probably feel bad afterwards, but at least you can actually get it done.

A lot of people will do this, of any type, but it's the way they go about it that might differ - an ESFJ will be concerned with sorting the problem out immediately without thinking of the long term.
Please note that a lot of people (types?) won't even confront the guy with the music.

In the same situation you'll find some types of people would rather call the police - so they don't know it was them, some people might not act at all and just tough it out and hope it stops etc.

ESFJs are more likely, IMO, to actually go over and say something in person to put an end to it immediately - for the benefit of their friends/family/neighbourhood.
Of course, they themselves will want it to stop, but they can take more punishment if something only affects them, they can't take much at all, if something is affecting their friends/family, or if they're super caring - the neighbourhood/community too.

That's all IMO btw. IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO.

Registered
I always used to score INTP or INTJ fairly equally and consistently. Over the past year, I've gotten a lot of INFPs and INFJs. I've taken a few tests recently where I got xNxx (multiple times) and xNTx. Delving into the functions themselves - not through tests, but through study - helped me to look at it all with more distance. One of the sources I like most is: Jung's Psychological Types.

If you want to play around with tests, though, a fun one is at Celebrity Types, they have some this vs that tests, but for neighboring types only, for example INTP vs ENTP, INTJ vs INFJ, and so on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts