Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's commonly accepted that ENTPs are the most introverted extroverts. I feel myself growing introverted when my Si has been grossly neglected (bad sort of alone time comes of this, though) and when my Ti wants free range to play.

A lot of INTPs I associate with seem to have this deep-seated fear of letting their Ne beat their Ti, as if the two are in constant competition or they regard their Ne as dangerous when it isn't serving the Ti. I'm a writer and I associate with many people in my field, and the INTPs are so easy to spot--constantly self-effacing and somewhat privately elitist, and occasionally they come out with these absolutely inspired pieces developed on the backs of notions they let in through their Ne, but it seems like they're simultaneously ashamed and proud of these pieces. They always want to "talk" about things without really getting down to them; perhaps because they're rejecting their Ne for being an "incomplete" facility. Giving in to the Ne is a bit like sleeping with the devil at times--it demands a lot of faith, humility and stock in your guns. Nonetheless I'd call it the best sex I'll ever have.

I usually rank anywhere between 40/60 E/I and 65/35 E/I--depends on my mood and what's going on in my life, but pretty much everyone who knows me personally agrees that they have a hard time placing me on just one side of the fence. I lean with ENTP because that's how I feel most comfortable navigating life and making decisions, and most introspection stays private or comes out only in service of an objective. Besides, I was ALL ENTP as a kid. I think the strength of the Ti, in my case, is due to the demand for it in my creative pursuits. And when I sit down to write or study, it springs back out to assist me.

On average, how evenly matched would you say the Ne and Ti are for you? Ever feel yourself "switching over?" What about on a regular basis?

I've witnessed other ENTPs switch over to an INTP-like state of mind when busy or in long periods of privacy, but I don't see it often, or almost ever, with INTPs. On the contrary, I've recognized INTJs becoming somewhat ENTJ-like when the moon is full... :wink:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know that I am in INTP mode because I have been in my house for 6 days. But I know that this is temporary and that I will be released, someday. It's very common actually to switch over, for me at least.

If I go out often, I will keep going out often.
If I stay home often, I will be reluctant to out.

This is what I noticed for myself.

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts
I'm pretty evenly split myself. David Keirsey wrote something about the ENTP "introversion" as well that gives a different perspective. He uses his word, "Inventor", for ENTP and "Artisan Promoter" for ESTP:

The Inventor often appears like an Artisan Promoter, always interested in having an "interesting" time. Only the difference is the Inventor is "looking" for new experiences, new ideas, or some way to promote his ideas, so those who don't help in this endeavor are quickly cast off. That is, the Inventor is an "extrovert" with an interest (outer-directed might be a better term), and that specific interest often being so narrow that the term "extrovert" is misleading. Although in casual acquaintance they appear to be "extroverted."
Yes I switch back and forth. When I'm in Ne-Fe mode I crack jokes and point out the humor of life, people enjoy my company, I become the center of attention, I control the mood. I often have this attitude on vacations or relaxing with the family. I try to make things more fun than they are. I enjoy that, but I also get a lot of pleasure in understanding things and figuring things out. In Ti-Si mode I'm not fun to be around. I speak in a monotone. I make it clear to people that I should be left alone. I analyze and go over my stored knowledge a lot. I'm a mathematician, so I need to use Ti a lot.

I'm certain of my E at this point. My childhood definitely points to that and that I consider charm to be one of my greatest assets. Still, I'm easily mistaken for an introvert.

Ne is like sleeping with the devil. If I get TOO Ne, then I start to feel evil, like I'll try anything. I try to balance it with Fe as well as Ti.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think my Ne and Ti are close at times. I am not a bubbly outgoing extrovert. I scored closest on the E-I divide when I did the full M-B test. I am not an introvert, though. Definitely I need to bounce ideas around, I tend to be at my most creative when talking to other people, and being busy and with lots of people tends to energise me rather than the reverse.

·
Registered
680 Posts
On average, how evenly matched would you say the Ne and Ti are for you? Ever feel yourself "switching over?" What about on a regular basis?
I score around 55% E so I'm not the strongest extrovert but I would still consider myself one. The problem is that I get tired or bored quickly and so I keep to myself then. I also enjoy my own company and have no problem vacationing or hiking or what not by myself. Even for some introverts, this seems crazy. Anyway, I definitely recharge by myself (watching a movie, singing, reading, cleaning my house even - I enjoy my thinking time too), but if you get me around the right group, I can also be recharged. I think it depends on who is in that group. Maybe I'm just a lazy extrovert : )

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I thought my ENTP ex was an introvert going by commonly accepted definition of extraversion as somebody who likes being with people. But then I expanded my definition realizing extraversion is a much broader concept - extraverts simply need more frequent interaction with environment, and whether or not that environment includes people is irrelevant. So his frequent trips out to the nature to take some photos were a form of extraversion, even though he preferred to go alone. Once I factored this in it became very clear that he is an extravert.

Why some ENTPs may be contemplating whether they are INTPs is that when you're alone introverting and thinking about yourself most likely you will sense your introverted Ti and Si functions. What you have to do though is analyze yourself holistically, over span of many months and years of your past life, then patterns in your behavior become clear. I am guessing this is difficult to do for Ne-types as you're always looking to the future, which makes it difficult to analyze yourself by inspecting your past.

I simply get certain vibe about INTPs vs ENTPs. I knew a guy who was seemingly confident, initiated conversations with others, not socially shy at all, loved discussing his ideas with others so I was confused whether he was INTP or ENTP. But after talking with him I sensed higher level of frustration and miscommunication going on, he was taking things quite literally and asking for clarifications, which corresponded to INTPs having judging function as dominant while mine is perceiving. Contrary to this, when talking to ENTPs we understand each other very well, conversation is almost telepathic with little miscommunication. Hence how I knew this guy was an INTP rather than a more introverted version of ENTP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts