Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist or medical professional, and I realize this is not the place for diagnosing or treating psychological conditions.

But, I was wondering if any ISTPs out there have BPD or if anyone has experience dating an ISTP with BPD. If so, I would love to hear about it. I was involved with a borderline 4w3 ISTP and it was perhaps the most searing emotional experience I've had. Of course, BPD literature will tell you that this kind of intense connection is not entirely authentic due to the disorder. Nonetheless, it was a fascinating, albeit heartbreaking experience.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I'd not even bother trying to type BPD diagnosed folks.

Given their really wonky identity, that's if they even have a remotely stable one to begin with, it becomes quite evident that it is a waste of time trying to estimate anything worthwhile about their being.

Granted, the spectrum is large and there are worse cases and better cases; inevitably they all display self-destructive patterns, though - Whether they cripple themselves by consuming fucked up shit (visually), hurt themselves (physically), lie to others and themselves (chronically) or emotionally exploit others (suicide threats etc).

The two people I know who've got an official BPD diagnosis seem to be on the better side of the spectrum and are mostly limited to questionable consummation of material I'd not deem healthy on any level. The only clear distinction as far as personality type goes would be an I/E divide, but further than that often-times you may simply come up empty handed for an almost unbearable effort.

Be there for them if you want or got the spare energy but don't have any expectations and don't let yourself become emotionally entangled/invested. If you cannot it's best to stay away altogether.

The male one I know is an 'artist', well, he's writing lyrics of questionable content (which I love, btw) and plays guitar but otherwise is totally into super villains/heroes, justice, violence (although he doesn't practice any unless it's in self-defense) and misanthropy.

The female compensates a lot by having sex and mostly numbs herself by consummation of stuff (TV series and what not). She's a good lay but often finds herself being exploited by others as much as she's trying to exploit others. It's, well, questionable since things could be so much smoother if only she wanted. One of her wrists is a complete mess and she has fits of rage beyond good and evil. Quite childlike overall. Granted, in my experience self-harm is used as counter of depersonalization experiences, so to stay grounded, rather than actual suicidal thoughts. She doesn't cut unhealthy things or persons out of her life. I don't know if she can't or simply doesn't recognize them as unhealthy. She's in her mid 20's but will remind you of a 16-17 year old at best.

If I had to put the two into contrast I'd not give the former one the benefit of being a BPD person when compared to the latter - and the latter, within the BPD spectrum, is certainly one of the better cases.

Generally, the former is an introvert, the latter I'd certainly rank as an extrovert. Perhaps that's why they display their symptoms so differently. Beyond that I'd not bother going, though.

TL;DR: I don't think BPD people are stable enough to have an identity that'd allow type to be applicable. True differentiation with such an instable identity seems to be at odds with each other and thus gets ruled out by my opinion.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I knew someone with BPD. Suspect her to be INFP and she's getting worse with age. It's like everything gets stronger and worse even though she has professional help.

Also suspect her to be enneagram 4, which I guess all BPDs are?

I cut my losses a couple of years ago. It's sad. I love the person she was before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist or medical professional, and I realize this is not the place for diagnosing or treating psychological conditions.

But, I was wondering if any ISTPs out there have BPD or if anyone has experience dating an ISTP with BPD. If so, I would love to hear about it. I was involved with a borderline 4w3 ISTP and it was perhaps the most searing emotional experience I've had. Of course, BPD literature will tell you that this kind of intense connection is not entirely authentic due to the disorder. Nonetheless, it was a fascinating, albeit heartbreaking experience.
i am an ISTP with borderline personality disorder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts