Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an INFP, but the line between Feeling and Thinking seems to be rather thin for me. 56% Feelings vs. 44% Thinking. I think this would explain why I don't seem as spiritual or overly emotional as some of my INFP peers... i.e. I will not cry in front of people if I can help it. Mostly, I believe this high scoring Thinking comes from all my barriers I have between me, people, and my emotions. Most of the time I never understand what I'm feeling, but if I'm feeling neutral it tends to annoy me. I want to feel SOMETHING intense; sadness, happiness, anger...

The thing that makes me certain I'm not an INTP is I'm not as cut off from emotions. When I'm tired I'm a whole lot more moody. When I'm in an argument I'm guaranteed to break down into hysterical sobs if it's with a family member, because the emotions just become too overwhelming. I could be described as melodramatic when upset. Not to mention my mood always, ALWAYS, effects my writing. It's not like I can simply ignore my emotions like Thinkers seem to do. They play too big a role in everything I do. I just refuse to show them when I can help it, and hence at least attempt not to show a strong emotion to everyone else.

I did read somewhere that ENTP's tend to figure people out o_O Seeing as they're just the Extroverted counterparts of INTP's, I assumed that the same might go for them. Funnily enough, I sort of do the same as these ENTP's... only to a lesser extent, on a lesser scale (namely those closer to me). I also am not enthused or doggedly pursue someone I cannot figure out. They just frustrate me and, while I don't give up (in all honesty it's almost like I physically CAN'T), I am very much tempted to just turn away.

Figuring people out is just my way of knowing how to react around them, and (most importantly) whether or not I trust them. Of course, I don't trust anyone, beause I end up finding little things that irk me. Plus I'm just private. :tongue:

Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else with rather abnormally high scoring T? I'm not sure if some of this is true for the high-scoring Feelers or not but... it just seemed to make sense to me when I started to think about it. I don't know. Thoughts? Feelings?

...See what I did there? :cool:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Mine are close, too. But look, it's not about how much of this and how much of that. MBTI is ultimately a tool for YOU to help understand yourself and others and they way you operate.

Being INFP doesn't exclude you from rational thought. I do it for my job and I do it naturally. Being INTP doesn't exclude you from having a rich emotional life. INTPs experience the same range of emotions as every other human being. They just process them differently than we do.

If I've learned nothing else from typologies, it's that instead of serving to place people into facile categorizations, for me it has had an opposite effect...that while with broad strokes we call this person ESTJ and that person INFP, in human terms it throws the beautiful variety of human experience into stark relief.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like to think that I'm an INFP who is becoming more and more rational as time goes on. :tongue:

Still match the general personality of a typical INFP (except for having an 'artsy' thing going on). But I'm becoming a lot more grounded in my thoughts. Especially in the love department. I'll get all daydreamy and start to imagine things my crush would probably not do, but I can stop myself from getting too high of an expectation and appreciate things for what they are. :proud:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Hmm, I find that this thread is pretty interesting for introversion/extroversion.

I dunno, I do think you are an ENTP, though I don't have much to go on for anything other than judging. I say ENTP because a type with dominant or probably auxiliary F would not feel the need to feel things deeply, it's quite a bit more cold actually.

·
Registered
504 Posts
From the way you describe yourself, you sound fairly clear-cut INFP to me. Not all high scoring Feelers will be consequentially hyper-emotional as a result. The fact that you do in fact have very good control over your emotions is simply good practice, as well as a sign of healthy, well-adjusted behaviour. Be proud of that.

On the other hand, to say that the line between thinking and feeling for you is "thin", doesn't take into consideration the enormous differences between cognitive functions in both INFPs and INTPs - not to mention they ways in which these functions operate together.

As an INFP, your functions will be:

1) Dominant - Introverted Feeling [Fi] - (E.g. Empathy towards others/Introspection of self. As you said, "I want to feel SOMETHING intense")
2) Auxilliary - Extroverted iNtuition [Ne] - (E.g. Open-mindedness, idealism, the ability to see future prospects)
3) Tertiary - Introverted Sensing [Si] - (E.g. Preparedness. Desire to gather facts before making decisions)
4) Inferior - Extroverted Thinking [Te] - (Not particularly strong in INFPs. I don't actually understand this function all too well, but feel free to look it up yourself)

Were you an INTP, your Dominant function would be Introverted Thinking [Ti], which would make you skeptical, or critical-thinker who prefers to take a step back from given situations and reason through them analytically. Furthermore, the weakest of INTP functions is Extroverted Feeling [Fe], and as such, they tend to struggle with understanding the feelings of others more so than other Myers-Briggs types (though this is merely a stereotype, I believe. My best friend is a very empathetic INTP. He just prefers to be blunt when delivering the truth to idealists, rather than letting them down gently).

Having a very slim difference in scores between Feeling and Thinking is of course quite rare. People do not usually develop their inferior functions until much later on into life, if at all; however, the closeness between your F and T scores does suggest that perhaps you have already begun to develop your Te in an effort to balance yourself out as an individual. You're probably likely to be slightly more of a realist compared to other INFPs, but that simply means you have less of our biggest weaknesses.

I hope this helps clear up any of your confusion over the F/T scores.

And I hope you come to better understand yourself as a person.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else with rather abnormally high scoring T?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but most likely, this test means to say it's only slightly certain you're *preferably* a Feeler and not a Thinker. MBTI is all about cognition preferences, not about how much you feel or do not feel, not about how much you think or do not think. Everybody thinks, everybody feels. :3

·
Registered
1 Posts
same here

Thank you thatone for sharing this fact of you...when I did a proper one in school last year my F only out number T by 1 point. (The instructor was not very helpful and just tell my decide one type i fancy i am.) In internet test i did today was 53% for F and 47% T which is awfully close. And I often feel like what you feel, rather dull and repressed. Don't really understand what I'm really feeling at the time. However, I do have strong mood swings from time to time.
I'm not really an expert on this 16 personality things, but i did a little research myself:
INFP
Introverted Feeling
Extroverted Intuition
Introverted Sense
Extroverted Thinking

INTPs
Introverted Thinking
Extroverted Intuition
Introverted Sense
Extroverted Feeling

SO the differences lay between these two types are Introverted v.s Extroverted feeling and Extroverted v.s Introverted Thinking.
Here are two links to explain the differences between the two, the writer uses situation I found quite easy to relate to:
andreajwenger dot com on introverted-vs-extraverted-feeling

and on introverted-thinking-extraverted-thinking-communication
(sorry i not eligible to post links)

In there I summarize:
Introvert feeling : Looks into oneself.When it identifies a person with similar values there is a desire to connect.
Extrovert feeling : adjust their behavior to the needs of others. Is it the ability to relate and the desire to connect with others with warmth and consideration.

Introvert Thinking : detail based ; to categorize
Extrovert Thinking : conceptual based

You might want to check into this page:
mypersonalityinfo dot com

After looking in I think I am more of an INFP cuz I constantly want to know more of myself and I don't bother with details. But I have high tendency of INTP bcuz of my up bring. I am Taiwanese, so I was raised under Chinese tradition values and detail-oriented education system. By Chinese tradition I mean that people should always sacrifice themselves to achieve the higher goal for family, society, or nation. I was especially so because I was the first-born, who is suppose to take on most of the responsibilities. To be blunt I was basically taught to please my family members. It's after I start reading Western philosophy ,basically individualism, when I discover my "true self". And also after going into university I'm not require to be so focus on details. But I am still very deeply influenced by my up bring, I guess that's why I score so high in Thinking.

I think I work on two types of personalities, dunno if it works, they seem a bit conflict to each other? Maybe

Well enough about me, hope you find your own reasons why are you so high in either T OR F. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a borderline F/T myself. It was so hard for me to decide what i was for the longest time, but infp seems like the best fit. When i read here that infp's prefer wandering games, and Legend of zelda was at the top, i knew that was me. I feel like my thinking was pushed into high marks since I found out i could make friends easier when i was smart in a subject. People always like you when you can help them out. It became a defense mechanism and to this day still gets me friends. I also would hide my feeling side because to me, that was the most fragile part of me where i could get hurt the most. Why would I wear that on my sleeve? What i would recommend doing, is doing the big 5 personality test

Personality Tests

They relate very much to myers briggs, but just add another function. I scored a RCUAI. It makes sense since it the one difference i got with the new function was calm. Most of the infp's on this forum are very expressive about their feelings, so for me to get the calm thing makes a lot of sense. I dont get overly emotional, and hate showing my weakness, but I admit a lot of my decisions come out of my feelings. It's why i talk so much shit about metallica. They care about the money, and if i was in a famous band, i'd imagine i'd care mostly about speaking to my audience and supporting them, instead of only caring about how they support me.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This isn't possible for INFPs. It's either that you guys are way overrating your thinking (sure it exists in them, but it's their roughest "all or nothing" function), mistyped, or there's some problem with the tests (which is very likely). The tests only gauge type from exactly how you answer the questions - they can't know everything about you.

Reactions: jd_

·
Registered
254 Posts
My thinking/feeling were equal when I took the test in college and they normally are pretty close..sometimes a process of elimination works when reading the description of Ti/Fi. I don't think for a second I am an INTP though.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
@ThatOne, you're probably like me and have a very well-developed Te function. It confused me for a long time too because I would score 50/50 f/t on MBTI tests, but INFP and INTP are very different. One of my criticisms of the MBTI is that I don't necessarily believe that our cognitive functions work in dichotomies which are opposites in terms of stacking. I don't think that because Fi or Fe are one's dominant functions that Ti or Te should be inferior. I would order my cognitive functions as Fi Ne Te Si rather than the Fi Ne Si Te that is supposed to be characteristic of INFPs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This isn't possible for INFPs. It's either that you guys are way overrating your thinking (sure it exists in them, but it's their roughest "all or nothing" function), mistyped, or there's some problem with the tests (which is very likely). The tests only gauge type from exactly how you answer the questions - they can't know everything about you.
the big 5 test is like the myers briggs one, but it adds another function. This calm function allows me to have control over my emotions. Whats happening is the thinking feeling function in myers briggs is trying to incorporate two functions into one. I seriously just did this test, and the whole time i was like, there is no way i'm going to be an infp with these answers, and sure as shit i was. I honestly prefer the big 5 over briggs' 4. Believe me, i was just like you. I thought it shouldnt be possible, but i just consider it a loophole. Maybe its because you're a J, but just because this system is known, doesnt mean it's perfected. Theres always more to expand on. Which the big 5 test did, and the briggs test never could

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
the big 5 test is like the myers briggs one, but it adds another function. This calm function allows me to have control over my emotions. Whats happening is the thinking feeling function in myers briggs is trying to incorporate two functions into one. I seriously just did this test, and the whole time i was like, there is no way i'm going to be an infp with these answers, and sure as shit i was. I honestly prefer the big 5 over briggs' 4. Believe me, i was just like you. I thought it shouldnt be possible, but i just consider it a loophole. Maybe its because you're a J, but just because this system is known, doesnt mean it's perfected. Theres always more to expand on. Which the big 5 test did, and the briggs test never could
Being calm isn't thinking - that's feeling. And no, my view has nothing to do with "being a J," whatever that is.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
INTP is not the other type you should be looking at, if you are moderate in T/F ... that points to a non preferential, and if you are still Introverted and Intuitive, it points that you might actually be an INTJ or INFJ...

Pay attention to how your N/S scale is weighted instead.

From what I've seen INTP are usually STRONGLY in preference for T, in fact, INTP by definition means their F is inferior, INFP means your T is inferior. If you are truly square down the middle, I would look at other types, b/c N/S doms ARE more down the middle in terms of T/F combinations as they will always be in the Aux/Ter positions.

Dominant/Inferior are the most important part of MBTI. There are only two ways around it, F-T scale, and the N-S scale.

if Fi is dominant, Te will be inferior
if Fe is dominant, Ti will be inferior
if Ti is dominant, Fe will be inferior
if Te is dominant, Fi will be inferior.

It was actually previously hypothesized that whatever direction your dominant function was, all others would be in the opposite, that has changed though and only 2 of them now are, with tertiary also turned inward/outward.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'm an INFP, but the line between Feeling and Thinking seems to be rather thin for me. 56% Feelings vs. 44% Thinking. I think this would explain why I don't seem as spiritual or overly emotional as some of my INFP peers... i.e. I will not cry in front of people if I can help it. Mostly, I believe this high scoring Thinking comes from all my barriers I have between me, people, and my emotions. Most of the time I never understand what I'm feeling, but if I'm feeling neutral it tends to annoy me. I want to feel SOMETHING intense; sadness, happiness, anger...

The thing that makes me certain I'm not an INTP is I'm not as cut off from emotions. When I'm tired I'm a whole lot more moody. When I'm in an argument I'm guaranteed to break down into hysterical sobs if it's with a family member, because the emotions just become too overwhelming. I could be described as melodramatic when upset. Not to mention my mood always, ALWAYS, effects my writing. It's not like I can simply ignore my emotions like Thinkers seem to do. They play too big a role in everything I do. I just refuse to show them when I can help it, and hence at least attempt not to show a strong emotion to everyone else.

I did read somewhere that ENTP's tend to figure people out o_O Seeing as they're just the Extroverted counterparts of INTP's, I assumed that the same might go for them. Funnily enough, I sort of do the same as these ENTP's... only to a lesser extent, on a lesser scale (namely those closer to me). I also am not enthused or doggedly pursue someone I cannot figure out. They just frustrate me and, while I don't give up (in all honesty it's almost like I physically CAN'T), I am very much tempted to just turn away.

Figuring people out is just my way of knowing how to react around them, and (most importantly) whether or not I trust them. Of course, I don't trust anyone, beause I end up finding little things that irk me. Plus I'm just private. :tongue:

Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else with rather abnormally high scoring T? I'm not sure if some of this is true for the high-scoring Feelers or not but... it just seemed to make sense to me when I started to think about it. I don't know. Thoughts? Feelings?

...See what I did there? :cool:
This! Same here, I just put it down under me being 6w7 (head triad/thinkers) in the enneagram (thou I did mistype as a 4 initially and I do enjoy intense emotion...I just can't seem to express it much).

It isn't just the tests. I for example am much more logical and detached when there is a problem to be solved or a crisis, then most of the people I know. As an INFP I have no problem with my thinking, am emotionally not very expressive, also highly intelligent <.< the key here is that I prefer Fi over my logic, which leads to stuff like helping someone and not asking for anything in return, because it didn't feel alright to take a reward from someone in a poor financial situation, even thou it would have been fair considering.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah I took a different test to what most people here I imagine took.

I was 95% Introverted, approximately 70% for my Perception/iNtuition and I only got 15% for my Feeling. I think what made me choose INFP was although my hobbies and interests don't always coincide with that of an INFP, I think I have a lot of personality traits that follow an INFP and the way I make a decision is usually based on the feelings of that person or me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
@ThatOne I don't think that because Fi or Fe are one's dominant functions that Ti or Te should be inferior. I would order my cognitive functions as Fi Ne Te Si rather than the Fi Ne Si Te that is supposed to be characteristic of INFPs.
Shouldn't be... especially shouldn't be a problem determining Dominant/Inferior.

If you think one is skipping/looping should read this...

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/25205-dominant-tertiary-loops-common-personality-disorders.html

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This! Same here, I just put it down under me being 6w7 (head triad/thinkers) in the enneagram (thou I did mistype as a 4 initially and I do enjoy intense emotion...I just can't seem to express it much).

It isn't just the tests. I for example am much more logical and detached when there is a problem to be solved or a crisis, then most of the people I know. As an INFP I have no problem with my thinking, am emotionally not very expressive, also highly intelligent <.< the key here is that I prefer Fi over my logic, which leads to stuff like helping someone and not asking for anything in return, because it didn't feel alright to take a reward from someone in a poor financial situation, even thou it would have been fair considering.
Okay, you make good points about thinking because you actually pretty much addressed what thinking isn't (in other words, what it is overly stereotyped as being). Thinking, as in dom/aux thinking, isn't intelligence, myth #1. Nor is it even necessarily being a logic whiz, myth #2. I have a new thread in the works about differentiating thinkers and feelers which I should be able to get up soon, where I argue that thinking is essentially attention to what you think about things and how you connect your thoughts in a coherent way, for thinkers, this would be through easy to follow lines of logic. One thing I noted is that thinkers tend to have a very easy time laying out the coherence of their thoughts to explain how they understand something, while feelers have more trouble with this, even though they can come to the same understandings (in other words, to understand something doesn't take only dominant/auxiliary thinking - that's a complete myth).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts