Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone come entertain me. Tell me about your interests, thoughts on the world, philosophies. Favorite color?

What are you reading? Watching? Listening to?

Currently I find myself immersed in Nietzsche, Motion City Soundtrack, Bayside, and various television shows. Along with numerous ideas and concepts on life and a lack of purpose that is unsettling.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Someone come entertain me. Tell me about your interests, thoughts on the world, philosophies. Favorite color?

What are you reading? Watching? Listening to?

Currently I find myself immersed in Nietzsche, Motion City Soundtrack, Bayside, and various television shows. Along with numerous ideas and concepts on life and a lack of purpose that is unsettling.
Would it be interesting to contemplate that there is no purpose? It actually might be of some relief to realize there is not purpose. Try to be patient and listen to this description of meaninglessness.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be interesting to contemplate that there is no purpose? It actually might be of some relief to realize there is not purpose. Try to be patient and listen to this description of meaninglessness.
Thank you for sharing this video. I find that this viewpoint is something I relate to immensely and actually whenever I'm on a "high" as I call them, like he says with the orgasm or happiness, I'm not searching for meaning. In fact, I rarely search for meaning in life. A purpose to be alive and that feeling is what I lack right now. It's the end of one of my cycles. Just lost my job. Left my ex. Lost the few of my things that give me meaning. Because every two years or so everything I loved and enjoyed just seems to disappear and I need something new to fill this void inside of me. Most of the time I can accept that its just a waiting game. But, I do think it offers some relief to watch this video and contemplate the fact that this may always just be how it is and there is no real purpose.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Imagine a bird, flying towards a mountain. With each flap of its wing, you grow more calm. More calm. It sees other birds, and trees on the ground. Flap. Flap.

Oops, it was too busy looking down at the trees and hit the mountain. Go nuts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imagine a bird, flying towards a mountain. With each flap of its wing, you grow more calm. More calm. It sees other birds, and trees on the ground. Flap. Flap.

Oops, it was too busy looking down at the trees and hit the mountain. Go nuts.
What a beautiful story.

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

That's why my life has direction.
I find it very difficult to look at this with an objective mind, because I do not believe in God. Is this truly how you feel? That your main purpose in life is to glorify God forever? That's all you were put on the Earth to do? And you are happy with that?

·
Registered
INTP
1,979 Posts
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

I don't consider it a small thing to enjoy the good in creation as God gives me opportunity, to love others and be loved by others, to live at peace with God and in fellowship with Him and to be assured of eternal life. Why would anyone settle for less?

·
Registered
689 Posts
What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

That's why my life has direction.
You should know better than to mention God on an NT subforum.

And you should defintely know better than to mention God on an ENTP subforum.

But yeah, I must also ask: are you really okay with just being here to worship God? I mean, that's a pretty lame reason to be here. If God is all-powerful, he could've created us with one swoop of his hand. And hasn't God commited genocide? He's killed countless first-born children, brought swarms of locusts and other things.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
shit i just made a comment and then accidentally deleted it,

in summary:

I'm hungover

cool album that I think is some of Paul McCaryney's best work which I'm listening to right now

started reading Neitsche recently myself

to intersting aspects

1) he's extremely arrogant, reading his stuff I'm confused how much it's sincere or tongue in cheek, it's somewhat justified since not everyone is going to read his stuff (N-types) but I find it distasteful how arrogant he comes across

2) his stuff was written in 1880s, which was ~ decade before Freud Interpretation of Dreams so it existed in pre-psychology worldview but was part of the same Zeitgeist that explored psychology

what are your thoughts, impression of Neitzche's writing?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I was about to write a "bored as fuck; entertain me!" When I saw this.

Has as anything here entertained you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

I don't consider it a small thing to enjoy the good in creation as God gives me opportunity, to love others and be loved by others, to live at peace with God and in fellowship with Him and to be assured of eternal life. Why would anyone settle for less?
What about Joe down the street that God smited? Why didn't God give him the opportunity to be happy and enjoy good in creation? I feel like this sort of life must be insanely pointless and I'm not entirely sure you answered my questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was about to write a "bored as fuck; entertain me!" When I saw this.

Has as anything here entertained you?
Your icon right now. Makes me want to get the booze out, then I'll find lots of things entertaining.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
@tracycook Play mafia. Or watch. There's still a graveyard spot open on the current game and half the ENTPs are over there right now anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what are your thoughts, impression of Neitzche's writing?
I very much relate to being hungover. Case in point : me Saturday morning.

Adding that album to my list of albums to listen to in further depth and dissect for hours.

My thoughts on Nietzsche :

I actually enjoy his sarcasm and arrogance. It's something I myself admire and find entertaining. (I am a very arrogant person). His concepts speak to me in ways many others do not. Especially his thoughts on forgetting, selfishness, and getting back to the basics of human needs. His loathing of work over passion is something I relate too. But especially the forgetting. I find so many people can't enjoy life in the moment because they cling to the past.

“Without forgetting it is quite impossible to live at all.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Also the way he pokes holes in religion is delicious.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts