Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This woman is not like the others. She's a Tisch-educated, full-scholarship-winning musician who produces and writes her own music. She may be over-the-top but her musical direction with this album is quite respectable.

Surely, it isn't as bad as One Direction, which pretty much explains their music.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Barbra Streisand on Lady Gaga:

“I like her a lot,” came her quick, sure answer. “I think she really has something. She’s gifted, a real talent. Her television special was amazing. She has a very good voice, which she doesn’t show in a lot of her songs. But when she sang with Tony Bennett, it was like, ‘What? Who is that?’

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Barbara was right about that Tony Bennett performance.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I like her and think she's a genius but I didn't like this album a whole lot. Mostly because I dun like songs blatantly about sex nor do I like songs about pigs.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have no respect for any so called singer that uses autotune. If you're a proper singer, you won't need it, because you'll have learned how to sing.

Also, it sounds like complete garbage because it messes up the harmonics of the source audio and the tonality of the entire track.

This is what a talented person looks like. Compare and contrast with that committee created abomination.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I like her, she has many cool songs and a possitive message. At first, I didn't like her videos or didn't know what to think about them because they are so random and weird most of the time. But at some point I kind of learnt to like abstract art without meaning, just an image to convey a feeling. She is a great singer and songs like Paparazzi and Applause are really catchy without falling into typical pop music or crap lyrics. Sometimes her concepts are really stupid though. Artpop (and god, is every song on Artpop going to mention the name of the album? We know it's ARTPOP), The Monster Ball (or whatever it was called) and a few of her songs. I also wish she would focus more on singing live rather than dancing.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no respect for any so called singer that uses autotune. If you're a proper singer, you won't need it, because you'll have learned how to sing.

Also, it sounds like complete garbage because it messes up the harmonics of the source audio and the tonality of the entire track.

This is what a talented person looks like. Compare and contrast with that committee created abomination.

Nice try, but completely off-base.

Gaga does not need Autotune. Lady Gaga, aka Stephanie Germonotta, was a Tisch-accepted musician on full scholarship before her fame. She writes and produces her own stuff (as I said in the OP).

Also, the band in your video was off on a few of the harmony chords.

Is any of this supposed to be seriously? In a few decades, if not even only years she will only be remembered faintly. Mediocrity dies out rapidly.

Yes guys, let's get at her because she does pop music :rolleyes:. "Abominations" and "Mediocrity" exist in all genres.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really cannot stand a bit of Gaga. Just my opinion and I hope she dies out sooner rather than later. Then again, I do not enjoy most of the new "big name" artists out there these days, but that has more to do with the styles of music I am into.

I do, however, really enjoy Infected Mushroom who produced the music for one of her songs as i read about recently.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Yes guys, let's get at her because she does pop music :rolleyes:. "Abominations" and "Mediocrity" exist in all genres.
I dislike pop because there are so-called "artists" like Lady Gaga, not conversely. Unfortunately many members of my family appreciate her, so I know her music. There is nothing special about her songs. To the contrary, structure, harmonies, melodies is the usual format you find in modern pop. It is ordinary music, made with the intention to make money.

And in pop only mediocrity prevails, as it is produced for mediocrity.

(I do not intend to offend anyone who genuinely enjoys her music, I just want to express my opinion.)

·
Registered
800 Posts
It is ordinary music, made with the intention to make money.
I have to disagree with this. Don't you think there are artists or entertainers in pop music that actually like what they are doing and do it for just as honest intentions as the ones in other genres? Just like how there's people who genuinely enjoy pop music. Some of them may do it for the money, but many of them don't, I believe.

Reactions: Kabosu

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dislike pop because there are so-called "artists" like Lady Gaga, not conversely. Unfortunately many members of my family appreciate her music, so I know her music. There is nothing special about her songs. To the contrary, structure, harmonies, melodies is the usual format you find in modern pop. It is ordinary music, made with the intention to make money.

And in pop only mediocrity prevails, as it is produced for mediocrity.

(I do not intend to offend anyone who genuinely enjoys her music, I just want to express my opinion.)
I feel like the last line was just added for PC treatmemt of the whole block of text. It's quite clear you view pop fans as a mediocrity.

I didn't know simple structures implied mediocrity. It doesn't in pretty much any other structure. Lots of complex systems are made from fairly rudimentary parts. I see no difference in good pop music with simple structures.

Not only that but the belt technique that Gaga uses would tire out a classical singer (I'm assuming that's the type of music made for the "nobility)).
Anyway, I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I just wanted to state my opinion.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
One is not amused... I honestly would be more intrigued if there was more acceptance of her full range of abilities in the modern music industry, yet often feel she is a corporate identity lacking full expression (at least Christina Aguilera managed to 'be trendy' for about a decade then try her own music styles; no idea if her vintage styles ever took of tbh).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Bowing seems a little too much, maybe I can just nod in her direction, briefly acknowledging her existence before promptly forgetting about her again?

I know a couple of people who like her, I've never listened to her myself and probably never will, from what I understand of her music, I don't think I would enjoy it.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel like as soon as you mention a pop artist, they're considered a lessor musical form when all other types of art can be equally shitty. I cannot tell you how many "classical music conniseurs" and "classical singers" who don't sound special whatsoever. And not even from a technical perspective--they're musical ear and ornamentation is severely lacking, hence why they are not as well known as some bigger names in their genres.

Her voice is actually quite versatile and has its roots in Broadway belting. Belting seems to be the death sentence for most classical types. I bore of their head voices after awhile

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
When the mainstream is so saturated with garbage, I see people pick the less crappy of the crap, like they have to. You don't have to. It might end up making you a very strange person, and outcast, but I would rather be that than lower my standards and buy the shit they're trying to sell me.

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
I feel like as soon as you mention a pop artist, they're considered a lessor musical form when all other types of art can be equally shitty.
Pop music is all music that is popular in theory, but Pop music has developed a tendency to be either over the top or too sexual. I think Lady Gaga is both. She's nothing special, has interesting visuals and symbolic meanings in her videos but overall it's just neh.
Now I like some musicians that are considered Pop such as Foster the People or Gotye, but I like to take refuse from neh artists in instrumental music.

I cannot tell you how many "classical music conniseurs" and "classical singers" who don't sound special whatsoever. And not even from a technical perspective--they're musical ear and ornamentation is severely lacking, hence why they are not as well known as some bigger names in their genres.
Doesn't matter, we like it, we like the feeling.
If you opened this threat you should be ready to hear some people saying that Lady Gaga is not a special snowflake. She's Madonna the second coming.

Her voice is actually quite versatile and has its roots in Broadway belting. Belting seems to be the death sentence for most classical types. I bore of their head voices after awhile
Her voice kinda of annoys me. Expect on that mash-up with Judas Priest. That is pure awesome.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
She's talented, but I don't find what she does with her talent to be that interesting most of the time. The visuals are crazy and out-there, but the music and lyrics aren't. There's nothing that really makes me snap back and take notice. It's not that I have anything against pop music; I love pop music when it's interesting.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts