Personality Cafe banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the milk soak idea. I tried that a few weeks ago after reading it on another site. It may have lowered the chemical odor, but my hands were still reacting to the clothing so I called Talbot's and Ann Taylor who both agreed to take back the clothes that were purchased a month and a half prior. As I was packing them up in a bag, my eyes began burning. As soon as I walked away, they eased, which tells me the clothes were still harboring the chemical, which scares the heck out of me! Milk may eliminate the odor but may not lower the amount of chemical in the clothing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@gingerbooberri

Hey, just wanted to let you know that the milk soak does actually remove formaldehyde (not just the smell), but it can take several soaks, and occasionally you also need other cleaning methods thrown in.

I once bought a shirt online that was just lovely (and on sale!), washed it regularly...then ended up doing milk soaks (at least 3, and one I let soak covered in the fridge for 24 hours), washing with borax, washing with baking soda & more detergent, soaking in white vinegar... It became a matter of desperation-fueled pride - I was not going to let the chemicals win! It took about 12 washings & various soaks before I could wear the shirt without my skin burning. So yeah...it's possible, but not necessarily worth the trouble. :wink: If I did that with a bra, it probably would've fallen apart with all those washings by the time it was safely chemical free!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts