Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Let me start off by apologizing for the lack of paragraph breaks. I'm posting from my phone and haven't figured out how to make paragraph breaks from it yet.) As a young teenager there was little I hated more than to hear someone say, "Everything you think you want now will change when you're about 25. Right now you don't even know what you want." It left me feeling sub-human and invalidated. And, I must say, as with most quips and generalizations I was told were going to be my experience of the world by well-meaning - if not rather black-and-white - individuals, what I actually discovered turned out to be very much the opposite of what I was assured would be the case. What I want has actually remained the same. I have the stacks of journals to prove it. However, I did go through an expansive episode of brain development in my early twenties that filled scores of journals with profound insights into my psyche. That time period produced anxiety, excitement, frustration and elation. When it was finished and my brain quieted, I had changed. I was more whole. I had more "flesh on my" mental and emotional bones. I have treasured that part of my life since and occasionally reference what was written, never ceasing to be amazed by what I already knew about life and about myself. Time has helped provide context to the thoughts and insights and helped in translating them for practical day-to-day life, but so much of the foundation for who and what I am was laid then that it's amazing. I never thought I'd have another chance to experience such a mind expansion. I've even mourned that seeming fact. Then my dad died...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts