Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have big exams to study my ass for. My brain can't freaking stop worrying and blocking me of studying.
Physically I'm too calm no nervousness, just brain issues...
Any advice for motivation in studying and brain relaxation?
Okay, I don't feel so odd for experiencing that strange brain worrying/physically fine thing. I never managed to master myself enough to start studying. But I'll throw some ideas out there, see if it helps (unless you've thought of it already).

Just pick up a book or notes and start studying. It seems that a lot of problems INTJs have stems from getting caught in a think-don't-do loop. Best way to break out of it is to stop thinking and just do. Harder than it seems.

Another option is to give yourself something else to think of so that the issue mulls over in the back of your head. Listen to music, read a novel or do some sort of distracting activity for a small period of time to break out of the thought pattern, then get to work.

Tell me if it helps! -- or don't, since you should be studying, not haunting forums. :p

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Don't aim to finish studying. Aim to start studying.

If you start you have a better chance of covering more material than if you don't start.

I find once I find it easy to start studying at some point I just get into it and keep going.

Plus once I start I find it easier to be more familiar with the topics, thus making studying less daunting.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I have big exams to study my ass for. My brain can't freaking stop worrying and blocking me of studying.
I usually like to listen to classic or instrumental music while studying, so maybe you could try it too...

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you write out a schedule/ plan/ outline for you to work off of, studying will be that much easier. When I feel like I'm not grasping all the information at once, I start to panic and would rather ignore the issue than try to face the chaos. Writing out a step-by-step process will give you direction; you will be able to see exactly what you have to do and the "light at the end of the tunnel". To start studying what I usually do is close my eyes and tell myself "I'm going to count to ten. When I reach ten, I will <insert very specific task here>". Then don't think about it anymore. Turn off your brain and JUST DO IT. If you try to convince yourself to put it off, you will succeed so don't give yourself that opportunity. Turn off the computer right now and just go do it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, I have been (and currently am) in the same situation and I avoid being stressed by taking deep breaths and attempting to rationalise my situation, and also reassure myself that it'll all be over eventually. Think about how good it'll be after you are done studying and motivate yourself by having a 'just do it ' attitude. I have, in the past also only thought about studying but have not actually done it. Trust me, you'll be fine, you are an INTJ after all :wink:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh, what a thread. Studying is a serious issue for me, I can't really study on my own, automatically, and I resorted to tuition. OTL I can only automatically study in the morning of exams, the issue comes so near you can't avoid it anymore, then I panic, and only then can I study. My advise is to use coffee during exam season, it keeps me awake when I really need to study, and can study, because when I really do study, I become drained much more easily. I think all the INTJs here have a studying-focusing issue. Get over it and good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't aim to finish studying. Aim to start studying.

If you start you have a better chance of covering more material than if you don't start.

I find once I find it easy to start studying at some point I just get into it and keep going.

Plus once I start I find it easier to be more familiar with the topics, thus making studying less daunting.

My exams studying time isn't sufficient. Maybe yeah "start" to stay in it. I already started, I wish I could just finish at least 85% of the complete schedule.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually like to listen to classic or instrumental music while studying, so maybe you could try it too...
Ah! We return to music topic, L'Empereur. Of course I do listen music while I study (yet all day long).
There's a thing tho, when it's literature, I prefer impressionistic classical or instrumental. When it's memorizing nothing at all. When it's scientific I prefer rock. The rest, classical rock or other.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you write out a schedule/ plan/ outline for you to work off of, studying will be that much easier. When I feel like I'm not grasping all the information at once, I start to panic and would rather ignore the issue than try to face the chaos. Writing out a step-by-step process will give you direction; you will be able to see exactly what you have to do and the "light at the end of the tunnel". To start studying what I usually do is close my eyes and tell myself "I'm going to count to ten. When I reach ten, I will <insert very specific task here>". Then don't think about it anymore. Turn off your brain and JUST DO IT. If you try to convince yourself to put it off, you will succeed so don't give yourself that opportunity. Turn off the computer right now and just go do it. Hope this helps!
Putting a schedule or reminders on phone is suitable with me. I appreciate your advice and ideas so much. For the last years I haven't studied that much because I was bored of studying, but this is the end and I shouldn't throw everything in water now.
Alright I should study my ass of, thank you @anonimouze123 ^.^

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have been (and currently am) in the same situation and I avoid being stressed by taking deep breaths and attempting to rationalise my situation, and also reassure myself that it'll all be over eventually. Think about how good it'll be after you are done studying and motivate yourself by having a 'just do it ' attitude. I have, in the past also only thought about studying but have not actually done it. Trust me, you'll be fine, you are an INTJ after all :wink:
Aww thank you a lot, good luck for you too, bank-vault ;P

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, what a thread. Studying is a serious issue for me, I can't really study on my own, automatically, and I resorted to tuition. OTL I can only automatically study in the morning of exams, the issue comes so near you can't avoid it anymore, then I panic, and only then can I study. My advise is to use coffee during exam season, it keeps me awake when I really need to study, and can study, because when I really do study, I become drained much more easily. I think all the INTJs here have a studying-focusing issue. Get over it and good luck. :)
I confirm what you say there, it's true. I do a lot of things "last minute" but maybe it's not right? Especially when you have 6 months data compressed just to do them all in a month.
I don't know why when the word "study" is spelled I hate to do it, when it's "game" or "challenge" I can quickly do it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If it feels like an insurmountable amount to study, then bracketing or chunking it into smaller units might be good (divide and conquer).

Along that same vein, I tend to attack the easier, shorter, more fun tasks first just to get myself started and to cross those off the list. That way it's not "I have a few hard things to do and all of these annoying little things to worry about." The little things are easy--I just have to do them. I feel like that frees up more mental space for the difficult things, at least for me.

When I was writing papers last-minute for classes in my senior year of college, I would sometimes try to turn it into a game by saying, "I will have this section done within an hour." (I would also do a sort of "X minutes on, Y minutes play" when I was getting really sick of it.)

If there are other things apart from exams that you're worried about, then maybe you could make a list of those (or have a general to-do list), and decide to resolve that list at a later time (because the exams are a higher or more urgent priority). That way you don't feel like you're going to forget anything important by focusing on studying. Though, that may be more of a long-term project, and I know that's not for everybody.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Putting a schedule or reminders on phone is suitable with me. I appreciate your advice and ideas so much. For the last years I haven't studied that much because I was bored of studying, but this is the end and I shouldn't throw everything in water now.
Alright I should study my ass of, thank you @anonimouze123 ^.^
You're welcome. Glad I could help ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I confirm what you say there, it's true. I do a lot of things "last minute" but maybe it's not right? Especially when you have 6 months data compressed just to do them all in a month.
I don't know why when the word "study" is spelled I hate to do it, when it's "game" or "challenge" I can quickly do it.
I am most productive last minute, maybe its me working well under pressure? Also, if you do somewhat listen to lectures and in class, then studying would be refreshing your memory, not learning from scratch. Think of studying more of as 'learning'. :) Sorry, I can't help much when it comes to studying. =="

·
Registered
42 Posts
@LAStminute - remember to rest and sleep, memory storage happens while sleeping I think :)

For oral exams I once was given the advice to 'drink a beer before it' :)
For the rest I just used a "well..normal human logic should be able to solve this" approach :)

I would spend the last days(/at least minutes..common) relaxing and airing your head out (is this proppoer english? :)
I once took an exam that was a "if you get over this number of points it will be listed in your final documents, if not, nothing will appear about it" and I was miles aways from achieving such a result (in combination with previous miserable exams). So I went there with a mentality of "well..won't happen, let's just use it as an exam experience"...and I began with drawing my name in 3D letters on the exam papers for about 15 minutes :) I was as relaxed as never before in an exam, and the points I scored after the drawing were higher than ever before in that class :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Go for a run. 30 minutes. You'll feel better.

Reactions: Obscure

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Selene I started THE studying already (and I'm very happy I finally got into it) and yeah before sleeping, I'm filling my reminders list with alarm on each one in my phone and waking up the next day doing it. I'm changing the subjects each day and doing great =D
Even the subjects that I do not like, I'm forcing myself and one I start I can continue already.
Dividing work into pieces and units is something brilliant, you can even learn faster that way!
Thank you Selene ^.^

1 - 20 of 21 Posts