Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure fellow NTP's will be able to relate to this phenomenon. When thinking or conversing about a topic I'm not familiar with, my Ne brainstorms and Ti picks an explanation that seemingly has the highest chance of being right. I don't actually know if it's right, but my gut is usually pretty damn sure. Then, according to people it usually sounds right or it is right. In my head I'm thinking, "how is this even knowledge? I never once researched this beforehand let alone thought about it." I'm not boasting about this ability because it can make me look like a lost turd if I'm way off the mark. It makes me feel as if I don't have true knowledge about most things. I take guesses at almost everything and assume they're correct because they appear to be logically correct. Don't get me wrong, I love to read and learn by doing so, but I'd say the large majority of my knowledge comes from rationalized guesses. I sometimes feel as if all I have is pseudo-knowledge. Maybe this entire introspective observation is false in some way. My gut says no. Comments?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes. I see the unknown like a puzzle, and this drives me nuts at work. I have to know the reasons behind my employers actions; as their actions can affect mine. I will keep turning the logic around in my head until the pieces fit. Different coworkers have said on occasions, "You come up with the wildest explanations, but your often right." Like it blows their mind or something.

On some level I feel that using the ideas presented in the books written by others is a form of cheating. There is an urge to dismiss people who exist in this way as well read sheep or something similar. It really sucks when I have a professor or boss that I see in this light, and it's always a constant strain to bite my tongue. Many seem to get upset when your questions are beyond what is in the books they have read.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm sure fellow NTP's will be able to relate to this phenomenon. When thinking or conversing about a topic I'm not familiar with, my Ne brainstorms and Ti picks an explanation that seemingly has the highest chance of being right. I don't actually know if it's right, but my gut is usually pretty damn sure. Then, according to people it usually sounds right or it is right. In my head I'm thinking, "how is this even knowledge? I never once researched this beforehand let alone thought about it." I'm not boasting about this ability because it can make me look like a lost turd if I'm way off the mark. It makes me feel as if I don't have true knowledge about most things. I take guesses at almost everything and assume they're correct because they appear to be logically correct. Don't get me wrong, I love to read and learn by doing so, but I'd say the large majority of my knowledge comes from rationalized guesses. I sometimes feel as if all I have is pseudo-knowledge. Maybe this entire introspective observation is false in some way. My gut says no. Comments?
From the way I understand it, wouldn't this be a function of Ni? Where your sudden answer seemingly comes from nowhere. I always took Ne to be, as you stated, providing many many possibilities. And then using Ti to systematically and consciously analyze each option and choose the best one.

Engaging this process starts with entering a state of withdrawal from the world in order to purposefully gain an insight or realization. These insights may manifest as "aha!" experiences, the kind of thing that "pops" into your head while you're taking a shower.

ENFP Wiki

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your right, this happens most frequently with people labeled XNTP but have been seen in other types will a powerful N and low F. INTPs are pretty well known for being the masters of scientific method for the reason you have mentioned. It is no coincidence that you can make these educated guesses on the spot, in fact most INTPs can. It would be considered knowledge because you are turning rationalized speculations into perceptions of reality; in other words, there is no logical fault with it, therefore it can be put into a degree of awareness. It's not going to work every time, but if you can understand the subject, then more often then not, you will be correct. It's the simple matter of imagining it (Ne), seeing if it makes sense (Ti), comparing it to past experiences (Se) and putting it into perspective. It's really a simple and reasonable process, if you understand the functions.

P.S. You're ability to do this is also influenced by your Ni. If that is high (which it is for most NTs) then it's probably even better at realizing what else could be reasonable information.

Reactions: Dov
1 - 4 of 4 Posts