Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Edited: The subject is not 'brainstorming session' bcoz usually in braistorming, everyone's idea/point is counted in. I would like to refer to the formal office discussions such as business discussions, management meeting or a root cause analysis meeting. Sorry for the error n thanx to Nyx !)

I think formal meetings are a torture for INFPs like us

Here are my reasons:

1. I want to contribute to the team, so my Extrovert side struggles to get loose

2. When it gets loose, my mouth goes on saying whatever my guts Feel rather than what are the facts i have or the logics I believe in (INFP = abstract thinking)

3. Even if i HAVE a strong fact/logic, I deliver it so poorly that no member buys it

4. In the end I would say "I should have just kept quiet & remain the Introvert me :frustrating:"

I really have respect for Introvert people (esp the ISXX) because these people although they r quiet, they usually say something concrete when they speak (may not be convincing but at least they can come up with logic/fact). I however am good at agreeing to other's idea, or adding up to someone's idea (esp if i like him/her)

Are we not born to be a real 'player' in business meetings??

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
In my opinion, whatever anyone has to offer in a 'brainstorming session' is good and has potential...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion, whatever anyone has to offer in a 'brainstorming session' is good and has potential...
Nyx

Thanx a lot! It actually did occur to me that i shouldnt have used the word 'brainstormin' coz i remember, during brainstorming sessions, all points are taken in. Dont know why i proceeded to use the word without editing. I've corrected my scope. Referring to 'formal business meetings".

TQ.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I H-A-T-E meetings!

Here's how they go:

Es dominate the discussion. They talk over their ideas, make decisions. An hour after the meeting I've finally decided my point of view on it all but by that time it's already been signed and sealed.

Ss start obsessing over the fine detail. We can be talking about how the lunch hour is going to be organised and they start going on about exactly where in each room the lunchbox trolley is going to be located. UNIMPORTANT. A staff meeting is NOT the place to discuss this!

Other Ss start going on about trivial irrelevancies. EG we are talking about PE budget and they go "Do you remember that PE teacher we used to have, the one who had an affair with the head of that other school, and then he left her for that other woman, who had diabetes..." and you're just like "GET TO THE POINT!"

My main role in meetings is to ask questions relating to the big picture which, working in an S dominated workplace, is rarely considered, it's all details details details, and I'm like "Exactly why are we doing this anyway, what is our vision?"

Urgh. Nothing against Ss per se and we do have a laugh sometimes but when our meetings keep running over to up to 3 hours per week when it should only be 1 it does wind me up!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I H-A-T-E meetings!

Here's how they go:

Es dominate the discussion. They talk over their ideas, make decisions. An hour after the meeting I've finally decided my point of view on it all but by that time it's already been signed and sealed.

Ss start obsessing over the fine detail. We can be talking about how the lunch hour is going to be organised and they start going on about exactly where in each room the lunchbox trolley is going to be located. UNIMPORTANT. A staff meeting is NOT the place to discuss this!

Other Ss start going on about trivial irrelevancies. EG we are talking about PE budget and they go "Do you remember that PE teacher we used to have, the one who had an affair with the head of that other school, and then he left her for that other woman, who had diabetes..." and you're just like "GET TO THE POINT!"

My main role in meetings is to ask questions relating to the big picture which, working in an S dominated workplace, is rarely considered, it's all details details details, and I'm like "Exactly why are we doing this anyway, what is our vision?"

Urgh. Nothing against Ss per se and we do have a laugh sometimes but when our meetings keep running over to up to 3 hours per week when it should only be 1 it does wind me up!
Nikson

First of all, uurrgggh i hate it too watching the Es dominating, i just wish i have a little bit more E in me so that i can get across my message too to the rest of the members. Es always do that effortlessly

Second of all, thanx for pointing out about the Ss, im yet to recall any similar instances i have with the Ss (im still learning how to differentiate the Ss n Ns)

Third of all, WHAATTTT???? You guys meeting shud only be running 1 hour per week n the 3 hours is already wearing u out??? Here let me tell you. In my country in Malaysia (its above Singapore in case u never heard), we have meetings AAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE TIMMEEEEE!!! The management can be sitting in a meeting room from 9am till 5pm and it happens DAMN EVERY SINGLE DAAAAYYY!!!

This is not yet counting the meetings they have to attend at the HQ which requires a 5 hours travel (plus hotel stay one night) just to attend a 1 or 2 hours meeting. It is VERY difficult to meet a Senior Mgr coz most of the time he is in a meeting n when he is not, he is bz with administrative matters with his subordinates (performance indicator, training etc). Engineers have meeting almost evryday too that they have very little time to focus on actual engineers job like RCA or paperworks etc.

And im from a very prestigious Oil & Gas company (most well known in my country)...just imagine about the other companies who r less prestigious than us.

haha i ran out of topic but it feels damn good to have let this out to another INFP :):tongue:

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's unbelievable! Now I can't believe how lucky I am that I don't have to put up with that!

I do know Malaysia a bit, my grandad used to live there for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts