Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am studying for a graduate exam and hence been absorbing all sorts of words I would never have had the energy to add to my lexicon.

Incidentally, I was fortuitous enough to meet a real live INTP female in person, and before she could size me up, she began to assault me with advanced words.

Do you have an advanced vocabulary?
Where did you gain your lexicon?
Are you fluent with them in speech or restricted to writing?

For me, I often will lose an advanced word in the heat of conversation, but surprisingly if I am a little drunk or ranting about something, I have a dangerous flow.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I was fortuitous enough to meet a real live INTP female in person
Lucky bastard.

I'd say it's pretty good.
Nowhere specifically. I just listen for words I'm unfamiliar with and look them up later. I also will occasionally look through a thesaurus when I'm trying to find a specific word...and in my searching, I often find some good ones.
Well, I definitely use more advanced vocabulary in my common speech, but I tend to have a higher concentration of them in writing.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I sometimes read the dictionary and encyclopedia for fun but when I speak or write, I will use a simpler word over an advanced word, to increase the clarity and precision of what I want to convey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me, I often will lose an advanced word in the heat of conversation, but surprisingly if I am a little drunk or ranting about something, I have a dangerous flow.
I know exactly what you mean. I genuinely surprise myself sometimes with my ~dangerous flow.

Listening, for sure. It seems like I store everything I hear, which sometimes freaks people out, but I find it helpful, mostly.
Reading, which consisted of national geographic, almost exclusively for a while, until I became interested in books.
Also, I think my parents' vocabularies were pretty significant in my education.

Fluent in speech only when I am feeling really confident or drinking.
Definitely love using exciting words in writing, but I find myself constantly trying to find the most perfect word, which seems to strain the quality and quantity.

This forum seems so interesting, I'm really glad I found it!

·
Registered
817 Posts
While remaining quite terse and direct, I find my vocabulary to be inherently illustrious. Ne seems to feed me words during mid-sentence that I would never normally think about using but I know they will somehow convey my thoughts satisfyingly. I am occasionally unaware of certain words' meanings but they just pop in my head and I know to roll with them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Walking Dictionary" is my nickname by some, 'nuff said. lol

I think I just pick them up during research, but I'm not really sure.

Since I'm the "Walking Dictionary" I guess it would be when I'm talking. lol

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I think my lexicon is alright. Maybe the teeniest bit above normal, but nothing special. I pretty much never ever write or speak anything more advanced than what I assume a standard high schooler would say. It feels to me like it just bothers whoever I'm with.
And it's exactly like Dupree said; I'm just talking and bam, a far more suitable word comes up. I die a little when I can't say them.
Oddly enough, defenestrate and jugulate are perfectly fine in my household. I suppose if the word is violent, it's okay.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Many people I know would say yes. Personally I believe it to be average.
Nothing perturbs me more than hearing or reading something I don't understand. I will find the answer no matter how long it takes. I have never been able to pick up a volume from an encyclopedia or a dictionary and limit my research to the single subject for which I initially opened the book.
I attempt to limit my speech to commonly used words. I find it can put people off if you use "big" words in every day speech, although they do slip out on occasion. Writing is a different story; especially if it is a "flaming" letter to one whom I feel I have been wronged. My friends and family tell me I have a very eloquent method for calling someone an idiot.

Reactions: Ti Dominant

·
Banned
3,653 Posts

To some extent. It's not extensive by any means, but it's far from simple.
I used to learn new and exotic words by nature in school, but now new words are few and far between, although I do plan on seriously upgrading my vocabulary soon.

Most of my lexicon either came from reading books, Encyclopedias, online argument, and philosophy articles.
People often use advanced vocabulary online and while writing philosophical works/articles. In reading this material, I would often research what all of these words meant on online dictionaries. I did this all throughout high school. Ultimately, I gained a heap of insight into the subtle, nuanced definitions of various words, along with a plethora of new, intriguing and interesting words. Often times, I'll use words that seem to stun people, as if they are surprised to have heard a word used in that particular manner.

Additionally, while writing privately (which I used to do constantly as a teen) and responding to people on forums, where I often love to debate and discuss ideas, I usually have a great need to express my thoughts as clearly as possible. Personally, I have a preference for ornamentation, figures of speech, speaking in colors and abstractions, beautiful phrases that poetically roll off the tongue, rhetoric, and this need and desire to make everything absolutely crystal. Thus, I'll usually spend 30 minutes or more responding to one post at a time, making sure I've built my thoughts up sufficiently, point by point, so that every little facet of my thought is conveyed with vibrant brilliance and the most appropriate word I could manage to find to convey it. This resulted in my spending numerous hours on forums composing serious responses, whereupon I would research through dictionaries and thesauruses to find the most magnificent words to express my thoughts, as I often tend to highly value my ability to think with clarity and logical precision, in a very serious manner.

This, along with wanting to understand words which I did know or understand resulted in my larger vocabulary. If someone used a word I liked, I looked it up. If I was unsatisfied with a word I had used to express my thoughts, I looked it up and found a better one (and learned the specific use of the new word). If I read an article or essay and did not understand a word, I looked it up. So, I did a lot of research over the years, and this naturally resulted in my current lexicon (although I have somewhat lost the natural use of many of these words due to recent inactivity).

I am mostly restricted to writing. I have had many ENTP friends and often envied their ability to speak eloquently without much effort, as if their speech was what I hear in my head and write down on paper. Thus, in high school I actually spent some time trying to increase my oratory skills, yet to no avail. The more I tried, the less I was capable. It seems I'm just destined to write elegantly, yet doomed to speak in a babbling form, where my words often escape me. Every now and then, I'll manage to utilize a polysyllabic word in speech, but it's very rare and it requires much concentration and effort. So yeah, I'm great at writing, but I'm often found struggling to speak well.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Nothing perturbs me more than hearing or reading something I don't understand.
That's me in a nutshell. It greatly annoys me to come across a word I do not know, if it compromises my ability to actually comprehend whatever I intently wish to read and understand. Often times, words can do that; therefore, I'm highly compelled much of the time to seek out an entire understanding of words I don't yet know. This has resulted in an internal catalog of numerous words over the years.

And since I'm often fond of reading advanced material, like philosophy and science, it really was necessary to constantly seek out an understanding of thousands of words throughout high school. Perhaps some people can easily overlook a word they do not understand, if they can somewhat gauge the context, but I really cannot stand overlooking something which I do not understand in its full breadth and complexity. It nags and compels and I must follow my urges.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i have a good vocabulary, but i only really use it when writing. i feel like i alienate myself when people don't understand the words i'm using..

·
Registered
6,397 Posts

To some extent. It's not extensive by any means, but it's far from simple.
I used to learn new and exotic words by nature in school, but now new words are few and far between, although I do plan on seriously upgrading my vocabulary soon.

Most of my lexicon either came from reading books, Encyclopedias, online argument, and philosophy articles.
People often use advanced vocabulary online and while writing philosophical works/articles. In reading this material, I would often research what all of these words meant on online dictionaries. I did this all throughout high school. Ultimately, I gained a heap of insight into the subtle, nuanced definitions of various words, along with a plethora of new, intriguing and interesting words. Often times, I'll use words that seem to stun people, as if they are surprised to have heard a word used in that particular manner.

Additionally, while writing privately (which I used to do constantly as a teen) and responding to people on forums, where I often love to debate and discuss ideas, I usually have a great need to express my thoughts as clearly as possible. Personally, I have a preference for ornamentation, figures of speech, speaking in colors and abstractions, beautiful phrases that poetically roll off the tongue, rhetoric, and this need and desire to make everything absolutely crystal. Thus, I'll usually spend 30 minutes or more responding to one post at a time, making sure I've built my thoughts up sufficiently, point by point, so that every little facet of my thought is conveyed with vibrant brilliance and the most appropriate word I could manage to find to convey it. This resulted in my spending numerous hours on forums composing serious responses, whereupon I would research through dictionaries and thesauruses to find the most magnificent words to express my thoughts, as I often tend to highly value my ability to think with clarity and logical precision, in a very serious manner.

This, along with wanting to understand words which I did know or understand resulted in my larger vocabulary. If someone used a word I liked, I looked it up. If I was unsatisfied with a word I had used to express my thoughts, I looked it up and found a better one (and learned the specific use of the new word). If I read an article or essay and did not understand a word, I looked it up. So, I did a lot of research over the years, and this naturally resulted in my current lexicon (although I have somewhat lost the natural use of many of these words due to recent inactivity).

I am mostly restricted to writing. I have had many ENTP friends and often envied their ability to speak eloquently without much effort, as if their speech was what I hear in my head and write down on paper. Thus, in high school I actually spent some time trying to increase my oratory skills, yet to no avail. The more I tried, the less I was capable. It seems I'm just destined to write elegantly, yet doomed to speak in a babbling form, where my words often escape me. Every now and then, I'll manage to utilize a polysyllabic word in speech, but it's very rare and it requires much concentration and effort. So yeah, I'm great at writing, but I'm often found struggling to speak well.
This is me totally. I've just (finally) got over the need to make my posts perfect and spend ages on them, but this post honestly looks like it could have been written by me s few years ago. Except I'm very fluent in speech as well. I was also famous for being one of the best public speakers in high school (this doesn't count of course, because you have the words on a page for you and time to practice, but I was exceptional at sight reading with expression and is probably linked to language abilities generally). Honestly, I think my vocabulary was the major reason I was always known as the "smart kid" (but surely most of you must have been as well). Not that I wasn't intelligent as well, but I'm a firm believer that how you say something is more important than what is said!:tongue:

And I'd say your vocabulary probably is extensive. I can safely say that about mine, and you seem to have a similar writing philosophy, so...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I speak to people on thier level yet write horribly. I can not spell my way out of a paper bag but can talk on a much higher level than most. I love slang though. I bust it out with people that do not know it..... just to see thier reaction and I add to slang by rhyming meanings or creating paradoxes with it. It freaks people out. People say I should write a book but I would need a ghost writer because my grammer and spelling skills are seriously retarted:( I think I learned my vocabulary from my mother and mixed it with the streets I grew up in.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I dunno. Apparently most people think my vocabulary is advanced, or 'different'. I refer to external stimuli as "data" or "information", which throws some people off. I don't say that I think about things, I say I "analyze" things, and that's just how I describe the thought process. It sounds really pretentious, at the very least, but I don't intend it as such.

So maybe not necessarily a large vocabulary so much as a very precise vocabulary?

I'll also say that I often refer to things as being theoretical. If I'm about to say something theoretical in origin, I will lead off with "theoretically speaking..." or some such.

Unorthodox usage of words, at the very very very least! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I dunno. Apparently most people think my vocabulary is advanced, or 'different'. I refer to external stimuli as "data" or "information", which throws some people off. I don't say that I think about things, I say I "analyze" things, and that's just how I describe the thought process. It sounds really pretentious, at the very least, but I don't intend it as such.

So maybe not necessarily a large vocabulary so much as a very precise vocabulary?

I'll also say that I often refer to things as being theoretical. If I'm about to say something theoretical in origin, I will lead off with "theoretically speaking..." or some such.

Unorthodox usage of words, at the very very very least! :tongue:
INTP speech in a nutshell right there.:wink:

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Not that I wasn't intelligent as well, but I'm a firm believer that how you say something is more important than what is said!:tongue:
I'm the opposite. I think it's more important to look at what is said than how it is said. Content and context are, in my opinion, fundamentally more important than diction, syntax, and semantics. One could say the same thought a number of different ways—some conveyed more simply, more precisely, more accurately, or more elegantly; but, it would not detract from the fact, at the end of the day, that it's still the same essential idea and thought underneath those words. Thus, I personally prefer to spice up my language with rhetoric, beautiful poetic phrases through the use of figures of speech, and bold and flamboyant overstatements which dramatize that which I'm actually saying. This may often times annoy others, but I don't really care. I enjoy my own freedom of expression and the creative use of language to convey one's thoughts and ideas. To me, the thoughts and ideas will always be the same, regardless of how they are perceived; therefore, I'd rather dress them up in nice, extravagant ornamentation. The same is also true of Nietzsche: he wrote in metaphors, analogies, and other similar literary devices which made it difficult for people to actually interpret his ideas. And the same is often true of those attempting to interpret my words. But I can't be bothered to feel forced to write in a manner that is less exciting, regardless of how many people will misunderstand what I say. The ideas will always be there as I meant them, regardless of how they may be interpreted. The right people will be able to understand what I meant, even if many people don't, and that's all that matters.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts