Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, even if you want to make a point that they aren't worth your time, it still comes off as weak. You turn into the bad guy because "So-and-so dumped me... OVER TEXT!"

A phone call is okay if they live really far away, I guess. But text... no.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Super Moderator
12,096 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's shitty. I can understand breaking up with someone over the phone or through IMing if you're long distance (like across the country long distance not a few hours away long distance) but not through email or texting.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
Is it okay to break up with a person through texting or email? What if you met online? Is it okay to break up with a person without the responsibility of seeing the effects of what you are saying on another person's face?

Is this just balls-less?
I was with someone in a LDR for 5 years, and he broke up with me over the phone a couple of weeks before he would've been in town. I felt deserved a little better after all the time and effort...

I would consider breakup via texting, email, or facebook to be even worse.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I usually tell them in face because it's more courageous in my opinion if you meet someone online that you barely know but care about call them/skype so they atleast hear your voice

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is it okay to break up with a person through texting or email? What if you met online? Is it okay to break up with a person without the responsibility of seeing the effects of what you are saying on another person's face?

Is this just balls-less?
No, it's not ok, it's fucking spine-less as well as being inconsiderate. This type of thing should always be done in person, except in the case the person is physically abusive and potentially dangerous.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No, it's not ok, it's fucking spine-less as well as being inconsiderate. This type of thing should always be done in person, except in the case the person is physically abusive and potentially dangerous.
Yeah this is true. And the restraining order has to be served by a 3rd party anyway, so you still don't need to contact them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've yet to break up with someone through texting. I'd like to though; skipping the emotions and questions of "why?" and all that jazz, but unfortunately I respect (most) people enough to meet them face-to-face and deal with it all anyway :\

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Face-to-face is best; not just for breakup, but for all communications.

If you are planning on the breakup, why would you care if it is "balls-less"? You are female.
second this. Not very big on phones. I hate talking and texting to people on them. I even get scared of dating because I know phones are the main means of communicating and setting up the dates in the first place. Probably the main reason why I have such difficulties with dating.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
second this. Not very big on phones. I hate talking and texting to people on them. I even get scared of dating because I know phones are the main means of communicating and setting up the dates in the first place. Probably the main reason why I have such difficulties with dating.
I'm curious. What exactly don't you like about the phone? Is it worse than face to face for you for even polite conversation?

·
Registered
673 Posts
There's a very simple answer to this. Would you want someone to break up with you via text message?

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sure, why not? It's efficient. Now, I understand those who do have feelings would object, so I wouldn't do that myself.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Getting dumped is not going to be pleasant no matter how you look at it.
Whether someone dumps me in person or via text, I've still been dumped.
So, it really doesn't matter, although I'd like to know why.

·
Registered
523 Posts
There's a very simple answer to this. Would you want someone to break up with you via text message?
Yes. I think I'd prefer a text-message to face-to-face or even a phonecall ( I hate talking on the phone. I think it might be because the other person can't see me so I can't communicate via facial expression and body-langue - I'm quite good at that, apparently - and because I can't see the other person, so I can't see their body-language, although I find this less important). Of course a misspelled text-message would be an extra slap in the face, but a break-up's a break-up, right? (she said, having never broken up with anyone or had anyone break up with her)

I imagine an email , a facebook-message or similar might be best. I imagine there would be less awkwardness, and the person wouldn't see or the effect they'd had on me. I did have a supicion that this was not the socially accepted way, however, and I wouldn't break up via texting.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I've been broken up over AIM. I don't know what I did to deserve that... It's like, someone who does that to their soon-to-be-ex, thinks to themselves, "They are so fucking evil (Not true.), I believe they deserve the most horrible way to getting dumped... OVER IM/EMAIL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!"

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.