Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the breakfast club generation (x) had much more to worry about. the big chillers just zoned out, if anybody was doing drugs in the 1980's it was the adults! They were the ones driving the money ocracy and the values and everything.

Breakfast club just wanted to make it through school in one piece.

am i right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not so sure. I think "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" spoke to me more than "The Breakfast Club", but I also loved "16 candles", "Weird Science", "Caddyshack", and "Rock and Roll High School".

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I think the breakfast club generation (x) had much more to worry about. the big chillers just zoned out, if anybody was doing drugs in the 1980's it was the adults! They were the ones driving the money ocracy and the values and everything.

Breakfast club just wanted to make it through school in one piece.

am i right?
We had more to worry about alright. Never saw the Big Chill but sounds like a better alternative to the teen angst we had. It sure wasn't us doing anything fun. ("Do as I say not as I do!"....Pffft! the adults of those days were the biggest hypocrites ever.) I didn't appreciate that movie fully until I was old enough to understand more. I was more into the younger themed stuff and "mature" audience comedies like Police Academy and Porkys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had more to worry about alright. Never saw the Big Chill but sounds like a better alternative to the teen angst we had. It sure wasn't us doing anything fun. ("Do as I say not as I do!"....Pffft! the adults of those days were the biggest hypocrites ever.) I didn't appreciate that movie fully until I was old enough to understand more. I was more into the younger themed stuff and "mature" audience comedies like Police Academy and Porkys.
It seems strange to see the words 'mature audience' in the same sentence as 'Police Academy' and 'Porkys'.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm not so sure. I think "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" spoke to me more than "The Breakfast Club", but I also loved "16 candles", "Weird Science", "Caddyshack", and "Rock and Roll High School".
Ha! 3' Oclock High spoke more about me. I was always getting into fights after 3pm LOL. And yeah, Breakfast Club also since I was more like the jock trying to live up to dad's expectations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think Star Trek really spoke to me! It was an amazing story. And I think of all the tech that Star Trek promised and look at where we are today. The tricorder, the handheld communicator (cell phone). It's still amazes me. Now we just need our flying car - "Jane! Stop This Crazy Thing!"

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Which version of Star Trek did you like best?
Which Star Trek Captain did you like best?
Which Star Trek enemy alien species was your favorite?
(I am a Total Trekkie, too...)

I think Star Trek really spoke to me! It was an amazing story. And I think of all the tech that Star Trek promised and look at where we are today. The tricorder, the handheld communicator (cell phone). It's still amazes me. Now we just need our flying car - "Jane! Stop This Crazy Thing!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Original Star Trek 1965 Series is what I grew up on. I never really got hooked on the stuff. Interesting bit of history. Gene Rodenberry (sp) was writing for radio in the early days. Check out Old Time Radio westerns and look for "Have Gun Will Travel" He wrote a lot of the episodes.
William Shatner was the absolute most over the top captain ever. His stage extro acting from theater was wonderful. It wasn't until much later in life that I saw the humor in his over acting. I think back to the Twilight Zone episode he was in too.
Enemy was the Romulan's because they were the 'cousin' to Spock. The evil version of Spock and my all time favorite species was the Tribble. I remember taking wash cloths and trying to make Tribbles.
Ah the memories.
What was your favorites?

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Hi tclark,
Lately, I've been watching a lot of Have Gun Will Travel because its on Encore Westerns. My mom discovered that Gene Rodenberry was really involved with that. In fact, from what she told me, Gene Rodenberry intended Star Trek to be a western type show set in outer space.
I will readily admit that I developed a huge, monster sized crush on Captain Jean Luc Picard and that I truly gushed over him. I really loved The Next Generation and the Klingons and Klingon opera!!!!
I loved the movie that featured both Patrick Stewart and William Shatner. That was fantastic to have them both in the same space.
Tribbles... that was the funniest thing ever! I still laugh when I see gerbils and hamsters because they look like tribbles!
My favorite villains are the borg in Star Trek and (off the topic) the Daleks in Doctor Who.
The borg were entertaining because they said, "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
But I learned something from the Borg, too, because they adapted to their environment, where ever they were. I learned that I too could adapt to my environment, even if I wasn't going to assimilate my victims.
Romulans are cool, too, as are Vulcans. Vulcans kind of annoyed me because they were too rigidly logical, and Romulans were awfully devious.
It's fun to talk about Star Trek. I'd love to see a new series...

The Original Star Trek 1965 Series is what I grew up on. I never really got hooked on the stuff. Interesting bit of history. Gene Rodenberry (sp) was writing for radio in the early days. Check out Old Time Radio westerns and look for "Have Gun Will Travel" He wrote a lot of the episodes.
William Shatner was the absolute most over the top captain ever. His stage extro acting from theater was wonderful. It wasn't until much later in life that I saw the humor in his over acting. I think back to the Twilight Zone episode he was in too.
Enemy was the Romulan's because they were the 'cousin' to Spock. The evil version of Spock and my all time favorite species was the Tribble. I remember taking wash cloths and trying to make Tribbles.
Ah the memories.
What was your favorites?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found the Big Chill whiny, pretentious and boring. Couldn't identify with it, or even otherwise enjoy it. The Breakfast Club spoke to me a little more, plus I had a crush on Molly Ringwald. :cool:

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Never saw Breakfast Club. I agree about the Big Chill. It came across as a big whine fest.

I found the Big Chill whiny, pretentious and boring. Couldn't identify with it, or even otherwise enjoy it. The Breakfast Club spoke to me a little more, plus I had a crush on Molly Ringwald. :cool:

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I definitely relate to Breakfast Club over The Bill Chill - I have to agree on having a crush on Molly Ringwald - Also loved her in Pretty in Pink. I have to give a nod to St. Elmo's Fire as a movie that impacted me in my late teens. The ensemble cast formula was very prevalent at the time. At least it seems that way to me. Movies were often analyzing the stereo types and the relationships between them. The Jock verses the Beauty Queen, the Rich versus the Poor. Perhaps that has always been a formula for the movies and I was just coming into 'awareness' at the time. My first real girlfriend, my first true set of friends who had the freedom a first car provides. Exploring the adventures that the movies were mirroring. Great thread!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I definitely relate to Breakfast Club over The Bill Chill - I have to agree on having a crush on Molly Ringwald - Also loved her in Pretty in Pink. I have to give a nod to St. Elmo's Fire as a movie that impacted me in my late teens. The ensemble cast formula was very prevalent at the time. At least it seems that way to me. Movies were often analyzing the stereo types and the relationships between them. The Jock verses the Beauty Queen, the Rich versus the Poor. Perhaps that has always been a formula for the movies and I was just coming into 'awareness' at the time. My first real girlfriend, my first true set of friends who had the freedom a first car provides. Exploring the adventures that the movies were mirroring. Great thread!
Yeah I really love watching older especially 80s movies! They don't make them like that anymore...(the same applies to music imo).

Sometimes I wish I'd been born in a bit of an earlier time/generation just to be able to appreciate those things at the time when they came out...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just wondering, what about The Breakfast Club did you identify with? Do you think it kind of represented that time in a way?

Obviously I'm a different generation entirely but I'm interested in history and really into older movies and music of the 80s and 90s, which you as Gen X would have seen at the time. What was that time actually like...the atmosphere?

Just curious :tongue: and The Breakfast Club (as well as Heathers) are among my favorite movies :kitteh:

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Never did see The Breakfast Club. Did see The Big Chill. Didn't really like it. :frustrating: Found it thoroughly boring. The characters were too self absorbed. It was more like The Big Bore. or The Big Snore. Very over rated movie, in my opinion.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think of the Brat Pack, and, friends, Fast Times At Ridgement High is a better movie than Breakfast Club. I think you really need to watch Breakfast Club, when you're a teen. I think that's where it gets its power. It's like the 80s Rebel Without A Cause. Me, personally, I go for Diner.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts