Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I recently discovered that I am indeed an ESTP.
Anyway now I kinda understand WHY I am stuggeling so much with habits.

Im trying to break a few bad habits and gain some new ones. I always have a very good start, but keeping it up is whats bothering me.

Let's take for example : Stopping to drink coffee. I can get myself out of drinking coffee for about 2 weeks when I've decided that im motivated to do it. But then as time moves along I find myself wanting to drink it. Due to other people drinking it or just that I don't have anything to do - and this is SOMETHING to do. I try and talk myself out of it, but the impulse almost always wins. :angry:

The same with good habits like fixing my diet. I start great but always end up with the thing of ...i've been doing good, but DAMN THAT PIZZA would be nice now. And yet again find myself stuffing my mouth with pizza.

Then food aside , im trying to do a blog website and its really FORCING myself to write a post daily, I kept it up for 6 months, but now I have not written in 4 months. I wrote ONE article a month ago, but its so hard to get myself to do it. And I KNOW its really important yet I cannot do it.

HOW DO I GET MYSELF to do things that ARE IMPORTANT ?
Any help guys ? Thanks !

·
Registered
597 Posts
OK so I recently discovered that I am indeed an ESTP.
Anyway now I kinda understand WHY I am stuggeling so much with habits.

Im trying to break a few bad habits and gain some new ones. I always have a very good start, but keeping it up is whats bothering me.

Let's take for example : Stopping to drink coffee. I can get myself out of drinking coffee for about 2 weeks when I've decided that im motivated to do it. But then as time moves along I find myself wanting to drink it. Due to other people drinking it or just that I don't have anything to do - and this is SOMETHING to do. I try and talk myself out of it, but the impulse almost always wins. :angry:

The same with good habits like fixing my diet. I start great but always end up with the thing of ...i've been doing good, but DAMN THAT PIZZA would be nice now. And yet again find myself stuffing my mouth with pizza.

Then food aside , im trying to do a blog website and its really FORCING myself to write a post daily, I kept it up for 6 months, but now I have not written in 4 months. I wrote ONE article a month ago, but its so hard to get myself to do it. And I KNOW its really important yet I cannot do it.

HOW DO I GET MYSELF to do things that ARE IMPORTANT ?
Any help guys ? Thanks !
o_O, the bolded part sounds familiar.
I have problem with kind of stuff like "dont drink cofee, dont eat xy, dont, dont...." It just doesnt sounds nice or pleasant.

My trick is usually to set priorities and dont bother myself with too much "you have to" and "you dont have to" stuff in same time.

In my country is laughable habit, that in New Year ppl are going like: 1) from New Year I wouldnt drink. 2) From New Year Im going to exercise daily in nearby fitness.3)From New Year Im going to get 10 kgs slimmer.4)Stop smoke, course from New Year. 5)Im going to find better job...you could guess from when. And list is able to continue until file 10 (at least).
Outcome is predictable. Number with this list is going to be fat, smoking, not moving, stuck in same job and drinking to forget he doesnt like situation.

In your situation Ill probably force myself to write blog and when writting, I could forfet about all coffees, pizzas etc. I just would be concentrated to something else and Ill forget petty stuff.
BTW: Im not saying itll work on everyone. I dont have real problem with procrastination. My problem is concentration, so that could be why sort out petty things works for me. But what I was writing about New Year decisions, well, it looks it doesnt work with anyone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o_O, the bolded part sounds familiar.
I have problem with kind of stuff like "dont drink cofee, dont eat xy, dont, dont...." It just doesnt sounds nice or pleasant.

My trick is usually to set priorities and dont bother myself with too much "you have to" and "you dont have to" stuff in same time.

In my country is laughable habit, that in New Year ppl are going like: 1) from New Year I wouldnt drink. 2) From New Year Im going to exercise daily in nearby fitness.3)From New Year Im going to get 10 kgs slimmer.4)Stop smoke, course from New Year. 5)Im going to find better job...you could guess from when. And list is able to continue until file 10 (at least).
Outcome is predictable. Number with this list is going to be fat, smoking, not moving, stuck in same job and drinking to forget he doesnt like situation.

In your situation Ill probably force myself to write blog and when writting, I could forfet about all coffees, pizzas etc. I just would be concentrated to something else and Ill forget petty stuff.
BTW: Im not saying itll work on everyone. I dont have real problem with procrastination. My problem is concentration, so that could be why sort out petty things works for me. But what I was writing about New Year decisions, well, it looks it doesnt work with anyone.
Oh I defientely agree about the new years, but the new years is not really a COMMITMENT. Im stuggeling with something I commit to. I have COMMITED to stop drinking coffee, but I keep failing and restarting... But Im still determined to do it. Does that make sense ? I don't know how to keep it up. I need to stop this ON & OFF approach. It must stay ON...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Oh I defientely agree about the new years, but the new years is not really a COMMITMENT. Im stuggeling with something I commit to. I have COMMITED to stop drinking coffee, but I keep failing and restarting... But Im still determined to do it. Does that make sense ? I don't know how to keep it up. I need to stop this ON & OFF approach. It must stay ON...
It does make sense. In that case Ill do everythink possible to avoid formulation "dont", "mustnt" etc., which I strongly detest.
I prefere go instead "Im going to take green tea" and dont think to object of "mustnt" at all. The more I think I cant think at XY (replace with coffe, pink elephant, anything else), the more is guarantied I surelly will. And multiple times.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's hard for me also.
About things like dropping coffee etc I personally go with substitute treatment. ie start drinking some healthy tea and everytime you want to drink coffee force yourself to drink this tea you choose. You will start to like this tea eventually and drinking it instead of coffee. Downside to this is, you will end up semi-addicted to tea, but how much better it is than coffee for your health

Making habit of doing something that you don't like is even harder. I see 2 solutions: either start liking it or just stop. If you are Se primary/secondary user than it will always force you to do the things you like instead of those you should.
For example after I got somewhat bored by regularly going to the gym I got lazy about it and would prefer do something easier. But I still want to exercise so now everytime I get lazy about gym I start using my Ti against Se and start thinking about my goal and dropping facts to support it: how much better I feel and how much closer I am to being packed-up after every training and eventually I push myself to get ready and out, then it's just fine. Big time planning always fail for me and I must just do it here and now, thinking of every single session separately
So back to your blog problem, ask yourself where it's going to lead you and if it's worth it. But if you won't just like it a lot, then it's going to be fight with yourself when you try to force yourself

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard for me also.
About things like dropping coffee etc I personally go with substitute treatment. ie start drinking some healthy tea and everytime you want to drink coffee force yourself to drink this tea you choose. You will start to like this tea eventually and drinking it instead of coffee. Downside to this is, you will end up semi-addicted to tea, but how much better it is than coffee for your health

Making habit of doing something that you don't like is even harder. I see 2 solutions: either start liking it or just stop. If you are Se primary/secondary user than it will always force you to do the things you like instead of those you should.
For example after I got somewhat bored by regularly going to the gym I got lazy about it and would prefer do something easier. But I still want to exercise so now everytime I get lazy about gym I start using my Ti against Se and start thinking about my goal and dropping facts to support it: how much better I feel and how much closer I am to being packed-up after every training and eventually I push myself to get ready and out, then it's just fine. Big time planning always fail for me and I must just do it here and now, thinking of every single session separately
So back to your blog problem, ask yourself where it's going to lead you and if it's worth it. But if you won't just like it a lot, then it's going to be fight with yourself when you try to force yourself
You are very right. The times I have "won" the internal struggle is when using Ti to tell myself to NOT do something or do something else instead. The problem is sometimes I stay in Ti ( I think ) and convince myself "it's just this time" ...but we all know its not. LOL !

I've read somewhere once that as soon as you decide "no" to walk away. But im still trying that....

The problem with my blog is that I have procrastinated so much that the work I was meant to do has piled up. Its not JUST blogging, its also building a system around the blog. But taking it day by day...

How can I improve my Ti to get myself to DO IT and not just always wanna do the fun stuff..like playing games ..or just vegging on the couch...or walking to the kettle ! AAARGH !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts