Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome! I'm going to attempt to type some of the characters in Breaking Bad. I'd really like your input. I'm not sure how long you can edit threads, but I'd be happy to take input/merge ideas from any other fans. However, I'm quite confident in my deductions. You'll find that many of the type-dynamics play out so perfectly that it seems intentional. Maybe the coincidence was only a result of Vince Gilligan's subconscious use of the psychological/spiritual archetypes... not that I understand those. If you want more details on how I came to these conclusions, just ask.

Walter White: ENTJ 3w2 sp/so

He functions primarily on Te, and uses Ni outwardly to create ingenious plans. His ultimate goal is to achieve tangible forms of success. His instinctual variants are self-preservation and social instinct, with a lack of sexual instinct. His Enneagram wing is Two for his fundamental desire to help others. He internalizes judging (Te) and externalizes perceiving (Ni).
He also displays an acute lack of Fe in many decisions.

Walter's preference for Te is very clear as he is fundamentally a brilliant scientist, but he also displays an uncanny use of secondary Ni to solve problems, going by the term "Master Mind" rather than "Mystic"; after all he is a man of science.

Jesse Pinkman: ESFP 7w6 sx/sp
He functions primarily on Se, and uses Fi outwardly to express moral views. His ultimate goal is to be stimulated and entertained as possible. His instinctual variants are sexual and social instinct, with a lack of self-preservation (chasing the dragon). His Enneagram wing is Six for his loyalty/co-dependecy. He internalizes perception (Se) and externalizes judgement (Fi). He also displays an acute lack of Ne in many situations.

"His whole aim is concrete enjoyment, and his morality is oriented accordingly" -Carl Jung on ESFP. If Jesse P. weren't a remarkably enthusiastic and helpful partner, Walter White might not forgive him for managing to spend 4000 dollars of a high school science teacher's salary at a corner strip-club. It's a good thing that Walt is forgiving, because Jesse didn't seem the least bit guilty afterwords.

On a more serious note *minor spoiler*, Jesse Pinkman was protesting continuing to cook meth after their partner murdered a 12-year old witness, claiming that it's unjust to profit at the expense of innocent people's lives. Mr. White speculated on why such a white knight would still want the 5 million dollar cut...

-

Walter White and Jesse Pinkman embody the "Odd Couple" TV trope. They are almost complete opposites (as the Myers-Briggs suggests), but in sharing the same ways of thinking they found that their partnership is a powerful one (as Carl Jung suggests). Walter White and Jesse P. share the exact same functions.

Mike Ehrmantraut: ISTJ 9w8 sp/sx
He functions primarily on Si, and uses Te outwardly to direct and inform. His ultimate goal is external cohesion and inner-peace. Mike functions on self-preservation and sexual instinct, with a lack of social instinct. His Enneagram wing is Eight for his animalistic outbursts and a need some sense of control. He internalizes perception (Si) and externalizes judgement (Te). He also displays an acute lack of Ni in many situations.

Mike dutifully fulfills the stereotype of duty-fulfilling ISTJ. His conventional ways are reminiscent of mobster flicks older than the ones that Jesse and Walter are akin to, and his biggest feats are those which have already been accomplished: situations he endured. These "situations" range from a life as a twisted ex-cop, to a cold-blooded contractor that has to constantly pay off his old partners in order to conceal his double-life. Come to mention range, he is not a very broad character, but he plays the part well.

The best demonstration of his cognitive function set *major spoiler!* would be when he didn't foresee (-Ni) the ramifications of having his associate put millions of untaxed dollars in a safety deposit box, much like you could get away with in the old days (Si). This led to his downfall.

-

Notice that Mike and Jesse are exact opposites in MBTI and Jungian. That's why it was a shock to the viewers when the two characters had a little romance in season three. Fortunately *major spoiler!* Mike broke up with Jesse before coming to an end. Of course it would be the duty of the ISTJ to end the relationship. Sorry, ESFP, the ride is over.

Gustavo Fring: INTJ 3w4 sp/sx
He functions primarily on Ni, and uses Te outwardly to direct business and production. His ultimate goal is to achieve tangible forms of success. His instinctual variants are self-preservation and sexual instinct, with a lack of social instinct. His Enneagram wing is Four for his fundamental desire to create an identity based on internal values. He internalizes judgement (Te) and externalizes perception (Ni). He also displays an acute lack of Fe in many situations (Si not applicable).

It takes a certain kind of person to get into the crystal meth manufacturing/distribution business. Gustavo Fring and Walt share the same functions and Enneagram types, and have a proportionate amount of similarities...
-Sociopathy
-Narcissism
-Secret identities
-Shaved heads

Enneagram, being purportedly deeper and more primary typing system, might give us a chance to better examine their differences...As Threes, they both use charm and acting in order to get what they want. The only difference is that Walt is using his persona as means to an end, and on the other hand, Gus is using a persona in order to fulfill an identity that he has created based on his innermost values. Breaking Bad teaches us that either way, you have to kill a few kids to get there.

Henry "Hank" Shrader: ENFJ 1w9 so/sx
He functions primarily on Fe, and uses Ni outwardly to investigate occult activities. His ultimate goal is to make his internal ideal a reality. His instinctual variants are social and sexual instinct, with a lack of self-preservation. His Enneagram wing is Nine for his fundamental desire of cohesion and inner peace. He internalizes judgement (Fe) and externalizes perception (Ni). He also displays an acute lack of Te in many decisions.

At this point, serious Breaking Bad fans may begin pulling their hair out as we have already unraveled most of Vince Gilligan's remarkable genius. Henry Schrodinger is a One, a reformer, and although crime is an inevitable aspect of society, we need agencies like the DEA to keep the illegal drug business under control. That, or guys wearing handkerchiefs on their heads will be selling your baby girls and boys a variety of street drugs, cracking their brains open like eggs.

Even though the guy on the case is a moralistic, peaceful, social guy who is assertive, understanding, and doesn't take himself too seriously, we find ourselves routing for the meth addicts/murderers.

Saul Goodman: ESTP 2w3 so/sx
He functions primarily on Se, and uses Ti outwardly to solve problems. His ultimate goal is to help others. His instinctual variants are social and sexual instinct, with a lack of self-preservation. His Enneagram wing is Three for his fundamental desire to be successful. He internalizes perception (Se) and externalizes judging (Ti).

How does a lawyer function primarily on Se? Just like Saul Goodman. He's got the power suit colors, the visually appealing theme, and every criminal resource in the entire region at his disposal (for a price). He's also a good negotiator, knowing exactly what kind of tone and physical presence people will respond to. That, and he uses Ti to win about every settlement.

Skyler White: ISFJ 7w6 sp/sx
She functions primarily on Si, and uses Fe outwardly to promote harmony. Her ultimate goal is to have her personal needs fulfilled. Her instinctual variants are self-preservation and sexual instinct, with a lack of social instinct (communication via drowning). Her Enneagram wing is Six for her fundamental desire to care for her family. She internalizes perception (Si) and externalizes judging (Fe).

Working on promoting harmony in familiar territory is basically impossible when your husband decides to become a meth cook right out of the blue (no pun intended). At first I thought she was just the typical nagging wife. "I told you to take the trash out, and what did I tell you about poisoning children!?" But when we take a look at her cognitive profile, we can see how coping with a criminally insane husband can be less than pleasant and harmonious feelings towards Walt.

·
Banned
52 Posts
The only surprise for me on this list is Walt. The funniest thing about it is that I am actually an ENTJ that is 60% extroverted and 40% introverted so I should have been able to figure this out. I thought he was an INTJ for sure but the truth is he does have dominant Te. He can persuade people by sorting out every possible way things could happen in a given situation and then bluntly explaining it to people so they have no choice but to go along with what he says.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know enough about enneagram to talk about what type each character is, but I do know enough about MBTI to try to type each character.

Walter White seems very INTJ. He has a lot of Te and keeps trying to build a larger business, much like INTJs want to take over the world. He values efficiency when working in his lab. I disagree that he is an extrovert, he needs to be alone in order to recharge and review his actions and think of his next move. He also doesn't like being watched when he works, like an introvert.

Gale is INFJ. He has plenty of emotion, leading me to believe he has Fe. INFJs are known to be smart and can also be really logical, just as Gale is seen to be. They can also have some rather odd interests, as Gale definitely does.

Saul is ESTP. Always likes to talk to people, like an extrovert does. He is only really in this for money without much of a heart, so it's T over F. Also, he is able to think on the spot, leading me to believe he is a perceiver. To add, I think his temperment is SP.

Jesse is ESFP. Definite extrovert. Once a tragedy happens, he needs to recharge by being with other people. Not logical enough to be a thinker, and can also be very in tune with emotions, so I believe he is a feeler. The temperment is SP, without a doubt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a really hard time pegging Jesse as an ESFP or ENFP. I know you all are saying ESFP, but i just used to be so sure he was an ENFP..
Same Walt being an ISTJ or INTJ. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Saul's clearly intuitive, man! ENTP.

Skylar is ENFJ

Walter Jr INFP

Pinkman, i think, is an STP rather than an SFP or NFP.

Walter Sr might well be a sensor, but IxTJ is obvious.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Walt: xxTJ is all I'm completely sure about, with INTJ being his most likely type. He's Te-heavy for sure, but his behavior seems primarily characteristic of introversion. Yes, his intuitions are not always correct, but no one's dominant function is infallible. Seems to engage in lots of inferior Se-ish behavior (recklessly driving that car and setting it on fire, deliberately overpaying for Walter Jr's car, his run-in with the cop who pulled him over, etc). I will say his overall demeanor in the first episode prior to getting into meth seemed SJ-ish, so I could buy him as an extremely corrupt ISTJ I suppose.

Skyler: Definitely Fe-dom; leaning towards ENFJ. I'm not sure the ESFJs I've come across could've pulled off that cover-up for Ted as smoothly as she did. She also doesn't take Walt at face value.

Jesse: ESFP. I see him typed as ISFP mostly (though this has yet to happen in this thread). He seems far too abrasive to be Fi-dominant, and I don't know many introverts who would deal with impending doom by throwing a prolonged house party. He does have his "intuitive" moments, such as when he came up with the idea to swipe the evidence from those police hard drives with magnets, but overall he seems more concerned with gratifying sensory pleasures than exploring new possibilities.

Hank: ESTP. Not sure I can give a detailed explanation why, but his demeanor seems very typical of one. He also seems to make a big deal out of his hunches regarding Heisenberg (inferior Ni?).

Marie: I get an ESFP vibe from her, maybe it's the kleptomania. That being said, if I'm to judge her by her impulsive behavior I could also argue that Walt is Se-dominant (hmm...)

Walter Jr.: ISFP. Good-natured, reserved and his obsession with fast cars makes me think SP.

Saul: ENTP; way too zany and all-over-the-place mentally to be ESTP.

Mike: ISTJ. Lives to fulfill whatever duty his clients place before him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Walt - INTJ. He is not extroverted.
Gus - INTJ. The INTJ-INTJ battle between Gus and Walt was fucking awesome to watch.
Gale - INXP. Seemed very 'airy-fairy' and too poetic to be an INTP but it's possible.
Skylar - XSFJ. Probable ESFJ.
Marie - XSFJ. Hope she dies in the finale.
Hank - ESTP without a doubt.
Saul - ENTP without doubt. How you could say Hank is NOT an ESTP and Saul IS one is beyond me. Saul is way too quick-witted and zany to be an ESTP. Ne is flying all over the joint with his character.
Mike - ISTX.
Jesse - ESXP.
Todd - INFJ.
Walt Jr - INFP. Could be INTP but his emotional ups and downs would suggest otherwise.
Lydia - ISTJ.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Walt - INTJ. He is not extroverted.
Gus - INTJ. The INTJ-INTJ battle between Gus and Walt was fucking awesome to watch.
Gale - INXP. Seemed very 'airy-fairy' and too poetic to be an INTP but it's possible.
Skylar - XSFJ. Probable ESFJ.
Hank - ESTP without a doubt.
Saul - ENTP without doubt. How you could say Hank is NOT an ESTP and Saul IS one is beyond me. Saul is way too quick-witted and zany to be an ESTP. Ne is flying all over the joint with his character.
Mike - ISTX.
Jesse - ESXP.
Todd - INFJ.
Walt Jr - INFP. Could be INTP but his emotional ups and downs would suggest otherwise.
Lydia - ISTJ.
Good typings. :happy:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Walter Jr. seems like more of an ISFP to me. He seems to be too complacent to be an INFP, where is Ne's thought process in him? I don't see it. He's a generally laid-back, good natured due, very ISFP in his vibe in that sense.

He sure likes a beautiful car, and driving in general, leading me to suspect he is an Se user -- loves to engage his senses in the moment (insert breakfast cereal jokes here).

His connection with his uncle Hank also suggests that they relate on some basic level that he and Walter Sr don't -- probably because he and Hank are both SPs.

I think an INFP kid would relate more strongly with their xNTJ parent, but he and Walt never seem to deeply connect...I think that's because Flynn is a sensor and doesn't fully appreciate his dad's N approach to science. Sure, he does admire his father's knowledge, but he doesn't understand his thinking on a personal level.

On a semi-related note, I think Walt connects Flynn and Jesse in his mind not only because they are his son figures, but because they are alike in some fundamental way, both being xSFP types. Walt's Ni causes him to categorize people in such a manner; Walt Jr and Jesse belong to the same grouping in his mind (people he simultaneously wants to protect and control).

As for Flynn's enneagram type, I lean toward 9w8.

(I think Walt is INTJ 3w4 and Jesse is ESFP 6w7)

Harsh, but I too have disdain for Marie. I always found her and Hank to be obnoxious.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Pretty sure Saul's an ENTP. Whoever said ESTJ was waaaaaaaaaay off.

But don't worry. 's all good, man :laughing:

Ahem. And I always thought of Walter as an ISTJ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Walt-ENTJ-always busy, interacting with external world. obviously intuitive
Saul-ENFJ, Possibly ENTP
Skyler- INFP,Fi naiveness. introverts ethical problems. takes action subjectively and ignores social influence. definitely not ENFJ
Jesse-ESFP, obvious Sensor
Hank-ESTJ, definitely not Fe dom.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
No way he could have outmaneuvered the INTJ Gus without being a long-term strategist as well. INTJ for sure
I dunno. That's sounds kinda typist. Who's to say an INTJ couldn't slip up and be outfoxed by an ISTJ? That was always why I liked the show. An ISTJ-esque character was a badass for once.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dunno. That's sounds kinda typist. Who's to say an INTJ couldn't slip up and be outfoxed by an ISTJ? That was always why I liked the show. An ISTJ-esque character was a badass for once.
It could happen, but Gus never slipped up. Walt was simply one step ahead of him at the final turn. Also, would an ISTJ be so purely passionate about chemistry?

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
It could happen, but Gus never slipped up. Walt was simply one step ahead of him at the final turn. Also, would an ISTJ be so purely passionate about chemistry?
I know an ESFJ who's passionate about chemistry. In real life, so she's not written to be a certain character. Certain subjects may seem to favor one type of another, but that doesn't mean other types can't like said subjects.

Especially in a TV show where it involves a major part of the plot line.

You can't really type someone based on their interests. I mean, it can give you clues as to how that person thinks, but in order to accurately type someone, you'd have to go more into why a person likes something, as opposed to what they like.

As for the whole Gus/Walter dynamic, it's been months since I've watched the show, so my memory fails me. I'm afraid I can't contribute much more to that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts