Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's break stereotypes! How many ISTJ artists are you? Are you interested in social science? Do you have a good sense of humor? Are you an abstract thinker? Are you secretly romantic?

My ISTJ father isn't an artist, but he used to play guitar and he's interested in poetry. He was a journalist and liked to share news with his own writing style. He told me once he wanted to be an english teacher (but he realized he would have been too impatient and rigid with students haha). Despite many of his stereotypical traits such as rigidity and sentimentality, he's a lot more analytical than he seems to be. He's the only member of my family to actively discuss on abstract topics with me such as justice, science, death, politics, etc. My sister (ESTP) and my mother (ESFJ) get easily bored and they barely listen to me, that's why I usually enjoy talking with my father only.

I know another ISTJ, my boyfriend's brother is a bit like my father. He loves writing poetry and wants to help kids in school (or something like that). He once said something like "Time is just a social construct, we're manipulated and trapped in this" and it kinda hits me, because he's so young (16 years old) but he seems to be quite "deep" when he wants to. His sense of humor is like a mix of puns and sarcasm. The funny thing is, he tries to troll me in a discreet and intellectual way but I notice it, and reply with the same tone haha.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,388 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I'll give this a try.

ISTJ stereotypes that are often inaccurate and broadly applied...judgemental, narrow minded and rigid. Some ISTJs may possess these traits, but definitely not all.

Take PerC for example, if someone puts out a poll asking which type is the most judgmental, narrow minded, rigid, bossy, etc., you generally know before you even look that ISTJs will be at or near the top. The funny thing is they are often doing exactly what they accuse ISTJs of. Sometimes they ask a question, and then jump down your throat because you don't respond in exactly the way they think you should. Or they assume something you never said.

I'm not likely to offer up my opinion on an issue unless specifically requested to do so. It is not unusual for me to spend a good deal of time analyzing, researching, studying the subject, etc. before responding and seldom if ever is my response flippant or emotionally based. I try very hard not to be biased and judgmental, and I've observed this to be true of many ISTJs. I just don't understand the judgmental stereotype many ascribe to ISTJs.

In the ISTJ forum I know that if what I say is not understood, most fellow ISTJs will not assume the worst possible explanation. They may ask for more details and that is fine. I would rather not be judged based upon assumptions. The fact that this occurs so frequently makes me question why we're perceived to be judgmental. I think many do not understand that judging does not mean judgmental.

I also enjoy theoretical discussions and spend quite a bit of time in the Critical Thinking and Philosophy forum. I don't think it's true that ISTJs don't enjoy philosophy, but perhaps they're just selective about which subjects they want to invest time on.

I'm also not super organized and I am very resistant to inflexible set schedules. I like having a relaxed easily adjustable schedule.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My dad is an ISTJ. He has a few stereotypical traits (bad with change, as well as not exactly being a bastion of openness), but he isn't even remotely a "boring conformist" like some of the type descriptions would lead you to believe. He has a very offbeat sense of humor, and definitely DOES NOT blindly trust authority.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Not sure if this is a thing, but I read somewhere about ISTJ being "anti-tattoo, anti-piercing". It definitely doesn't fit me, as I have facial piercings.

More common ISTJ stereotype is being extreme traditionalists who blindly follow the rules and don't question them. Another description that doesn't fit me at all. I have always confronted coworkers and my boss about defects at work place for improvement.

I'm actually very interested in social sciences, especially sociology with a heavy focus on criminology and penology. I'm applying to university, currently spending my days studying theories for the entrance exam. My goal is to eventually work in the prison with rehabilitation of convicts and prevention of recidivism.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not certain where the ISTJ stereotype of "following orders without hesitation" came from. I can't picture a type with an auxiliary Te and tertiary Fi not questioning anything about the rules they are given, especially if they oppose to the ISTJ's mindset. Maybe it was built upon the fact that a majority are known to be ideal judgers, accomplishing tasks at hand rather than coming up with excuses for procrastination (inferior Ne)?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
As an ISTJ, I seek adventure. I don't mind stepping outside my comfort zone and trying new experiences. One of the stereotypes about ISTJs is that we like routines. I am always rearranging the furnitures in my living room and bedroom, finding different routes to drive to and from work, eating lunch or dinner at different times, looking for opportunities to advance on my job or take on a new challenging assignment, etc. I even have a bucket list which consists of sky diving, parasailing, hand gliding, etc.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if this is a thing, but I read somewhere about ISTJ being "anti-tattoo, anti-piercing". It definitely doesn't fit me, as I have facial piercings.

More common ISTJ stereotype is being extreme traditionalists who blindly follow the rules and don't question them. Another description that doesn't fit me at all. I have always confronted coworkers and my boss about defects at work place for improvement.

I'm actually very interested in social sciences, especially sociology with a heavy focus on criminology and penology. I'm applying to university, currently spending my days studying theories for the entrance exam. My goal is to eventually work in the prison with rehabilitation of convicts and prevention of recidivism.
That's funny, I've almost the same goal as you! I want to work somewhere on criminology or penology. I don't know yet what I want to do exactly but these careers are the ones I'm looking forward to. I wish you good luck!

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
My ISTJ friend makes jewelry and reads lots of fantasy novels. In fact, since I love YA, she and I discuss them and the characters every so often. She also is very good at baking and cooking. One year, she made a very cool costume of "autumn" for Halloween. She was also into acting in high school. I forget what she is trying to do for her masters degree though.

I feel like Si doesn't cause traditionalism to a societal view, it causes traditionalism to oneself, at least in my experience. It's more like atmospheres imprinting on you or something, so they stick with you in the future and assist you in making decisions. You can have positive or negative atmospheres, so they can cause you to use caution away from or to strive for something depending on your impression of it. That may cause some to lean on common habits and traditions, but it may cause others to shy away from common habits and traditions. It's an introverted function anyway, and should have nothing to do with following external systems. That's a Je topic.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
too lazy to read through the whole post, but some things I've noticed:
1) ISTJs are very critical of their superiors. Their sense of duty is more Confucian than the blind kind of duty more common in the West.** ISTJ's sense of fairness is almost always stronger then their sense of duty.
2) ISTJs are not "conformist" at all. Traditional and conformist are not even close to synonymous (if anything, people with traditional views get more flack for their beliefs in the modern era than even eccentric people.
3) Most ISTJs are fairly mellow and prefer spending time via calming rituals than reprimanding people on not doing what they are supposed to.
4) ISTJs tend to like ENFPs, they just think we're crazy lol.
5) Not all ISTJs are religious *gasps*
6) Similar to 3, most ISTJs are not constantly-stay-busy types, and will be greatly irritated if their routines are rushed.
7) Lots of ISTJs have an inner NFP streak and enjoy fantasy tales with heroic characters and strong moral themes.

**In Confucianism, reprimanding one's superiors at appropriate times is considered praise worthy and symbiotic. For example, a father steals his neighbor's goat, and the father's son says "Father, what have you done? You have brought shame upon us!"

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I'm not certain where the ISTJ stereotype of "following orders without hesitation" came from. I can't picture a type with an auxiliary Te and tertiary Fi not questioning anything about the rules they are given, especially if they oppose to the ISTJ's mindset. Maybe it was built upon the fact that a majority are known to be ideal judgers, accomplishing tasks at hand rather than coming up with excuses for procrastination (inferior Ne)?
^this. ISTJs are stubborn creatures. Si, Te and Fi are all "if it's not right, I'm not going to do it" functions.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Reactions: WamphyriThrall

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Katniss is ISTP imo
I never saw that. She's got a ton of unrelatable Fi going on imo, and lots of Si (that I do relate to) as well. She wants things to go back to the way things were, constantly, when it was good and is always looking back at that time she should have run with Gale. Yet her peace is always hindered by these emotional threats and she is very protective of these people she makes bonds with. Despire this obvious display of close personal feels (Fi), she uses like, no Fe at all. She knows she is supposed to care what people think, but she just doesn't. Her genuineness is what people end up liking sometimes though. Her words are blunt and to the point (Te) just like her other decisions. No Ti logic, no Se thrills, no Fe socials, and no Ni planning. But heavy on the Si, Te and Fi.

However in the movies maybe she looks more like an ISTP, as J Law is probably an ESTP, and it is a movie. I read the books first though. Definitely not an IxTP mind.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Breaking stereotypes... why? I am me. I don't care if other ISTJs are like me, or different.

What if I told you I am Irish and I like to drink? oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm mostly textbook ISTJ, but one thing I am not is a conformist. I admire many institutions, but there are just as many that I don't. I only follow orders if they fall in line with my values. I can be quite adaptable if I see a practical application for the change.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Whoever made up that line of crap is barking up the wrong tree. I have sixteen piercings and four tattoos. Oh, and I did I mention I'm currently wearing an undercut with the top being about 7"? That's dyed red? Stereotype, meet trash can.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Let's break stereotypes! How many ISTJ artists are you? Are you interested in social science? Do you have a good sense of humor? Are you an abstract thinker? Are you secretly romantic?
Haha good topic. If this counts for the artistic side, I used to draw a lot, did it very well and I could even draw non-literal stuff, more symbolic. I used to write too, finished one novel etc. I want to get back to it later. My sense of humour isn't that good :/ Unless someone brings it out of me :) I can be abstract sometimes but not by default.

Other than that... I think I'm pretty resourceful for adapting if I need to. Not like a P, but I do pride myself on ability to deal with crazy situations.

too lazy to read through the whole post, but some things I've noticed:
1) ISTJs are very critical of their superiors. Their sense of duty is more Confucian than the blind kind of duty more common in the West.** ISTJ's sense of fairness is almost always stronger then their sense of duty.
Sure I'm argumentative... but this self-righteous reprimanding crap isn't what it is about.

2) ISTJs are not "conformist" at all. Traditional and conformist are not even close to synonymous (if anything, people with traditional views get more flack for their beliefs in the modern era than even eccentric people.
I'm more conventional than many N's, sure. :shrug

Conformist is something else indeed.

3) Most ISTJs are fairly mellow and prefer spending time via calming rituals than reprimanding people on not doing what they are supposed to.
I dunno where your idea of "calming rituals" comes from. No.

If I "reprimand", it's impersonal.

4) ISTJs tend to like ENFPs, they just think we're crazy lol.
No, I don't care for Ne hence I don't particularly tend to like ENFPs. Do not use Socionics on MBTI with that stupid j/p switch idea.

5) Not all ISTJs are religious *gasps*
Nope I quit religion at age 18

6) Similar to 3, most ISTJs are not constantly-stay-busy types, and will be greatly irritated if their routines are rushed.
Huh? I'm usually engaged, pretty steadily. But not necessarily irritated if I have to rush.

7) Lots of ISTJs have an inner NFP streak and enjoy fantasy tales with heroic characters and strong moral themes.
I don't relate to particular interest in strong moral themes. Depends exactly what sort of moral theme it is. Not into fantasy tales. Brr.

I relate :)

Reactions: Seamaid

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I struggle with being on time. As an istj, I am focused and persistent, but my focus happens to be directed elsewhere, usually :p

I'm definitely not rushed. I tend to go at things at a much slower pace than a lot of people. I'm fine with downtime.

A big part of me really likes being around other people, but I tend to be socially anxious and a little too doubtful of everything to be comfortable in social settings.

I tend to think about "deep" stuff, but maybe not for the usual reasons. Its more like I feel compelled to have an answer. I think it comes from being a judger and being a 6w5 more than anything.

I do like talking about philosophical questions with people, to an extent.

I am sort of a romantic, I guess. I like disney movies and any sort of element of romance in songs, books, movies, etc.

I took 3 yrs of art in high school and I like drawing and being creative on occasion.

I try to be open minded, and I don't usually judge people for doing something I think isn't right or for having a value I disagree with.

My favorite musical artists are currently Jewel and Pierce Pettis.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Living with a typical ISTJ ( my mother) has been an absolute rollercoaster. Can any of you ISTJs give me some advice ..how do you explain to an ISTJ that they are hurting you with their behaviour, without turning their even more hurtful defense mode on ?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Living with a typical ISTJ ( my mother) has been an absolute rollercoaster. Can any of you ISTJs give me some advice ..how do you explain to an ISTJ that they are hurting you with their behaviour, without turning their even more hurtful defense mode on ?
I recommend you start a new thread on this or find a relevant thread.

Reactions: Vitamin
1 - 20 of 29 Posts