Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Queen fan I had a go at typing the 4 members. I now think Freddie Mercury was an ESFP, Roger Taylor an ESTP and John Deacon... well difficult to say as he is so guarded, but I'd go for ISTJ.

However, my limited typing skills fail me when it comes to typing Brian May. Known for his big hair and status as guitarist for Queen and astrophysicist. He built his signature guitar, the Red Special, together with his dad using wood from an 18th century fire place. He abandoned his astrophysics PhD thesis when he began touring with Queen, completing it more than 30 years later.
With Queen he was famous for his elaborate guitar orchestrations (in the early years), and penning such hits as We Will Rock You, Tie Your Mother Down, Fat Bottomed Girls, Save Me and Hammer to Fall.
In recent years he has taken up activism, campaigning against fox hunting and other animal abuse.

To know more about what he's like, reading his "Soapbox" might be interesting. Here he talks (or rather, rants xD) about his interests (music, astrophysics, animal activism and stereophotography)
BRIAN'S SOAPBOX

This 1992 interview is quite in-depth and personal:

So what are your thoughts? The only strong impression I have is that he seems more 'F' than 'T' than me in his general demeanor, despite some signs that are more associated to 'T' (building a guitar from scratch with his dad, career in astrophysics etc.) I still have trouble distinguishing between Fi and Fe in practice though. Of course he could also be a 'T' who, after his depression in the late 80s, decided to flesh out his 'F' side some more. What d'ya think?

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
So what are your thoughts? The only strong impression I have is that he seems more 'F' than 'T' than me in his general demeanor, despite some signs that are more associated to 'T' (building a guitar from scratch with his dad, career in astrophysics etc.) I still have trouble distinguishing between Fi and Fe in practice though. Of course he could also be a 'T' who, after his depression in the late 80s, decided to flesh out his 'F' side some more. What d'ya think?
Queen's one of my all time favorite bands, so I've done a lot of research on them - watching interviews, etc. Here's my take on all four band members:

Brian May: INFP. He seems a very idealistic, sensitive man. Very much get an NF vibe. The way he talks in interviews, the way he expresses himself, etc., really strikes me as INFP. He seems so sweet, yet cautious :)
Freddie Mercury: ISFP. Pretty certain about that. He took on an extroverted stage persona, but in fact he was very shy and introverted. He seemed very sensory as well, not head-in-the-clouds NF. Everything I've read about him points to ISFP.
Roger Taylor: Pretty sure he's an ESTP (only extroverted one of the bunch). He could be ENTP as well, but I doubt it.
John Deacon: Hardly ever see him, as he hates publicity, so it's hard to tell. I'm going with either INTJ or ISTJ.

Reactions: piscesfish

·
Banned
4,831 Posts
His introversion is beyond obvious. iNtuition too since he mentions patterns more than once. There's Fe going on too since he derives inspiration from others and lost sight of himself. INFJ.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Queen is one of my favorite bands and my guess with the MBTI types of them (and reasoning) is this:

-Brian: INFJ: He is definitely Introverted and between the astrophysics (a much more theoretical branch of physics), his abstract discussions I have heard, and talk about spiritual things/soul, I feel he is Ni-leading. He is very affected by people's opinions of him/people around him and will either lash out to defend himself or others and because he is so interested in helping animals and wanting people to get along, I feel he is Fe. From all accounts (his band mates, producers, other musicians), he is annoyingly detailed/perfectionist when creating music (a big source of issues with specifically Freddie and Roger who appear to be Ps) which definitely points to him being a J. I think the IJ is very pronounced with him, he is closer to the border with N and F so at times he can have ISFJ tendencies and other times INTJ but overall, he is INFJ.

Freddie: He appeared to be ISFP: Although his public persona appeared to be Extroverted, most every one who knew him said he was an introvert. He was a performer that could become someone else on stage. He did not like to be alone, but, in my experience with Introverts and Sensors, that is not uncommon and usually is a "nurture" part of their personality (the introverted sensors I know, such as my ISFJ bestfriend, ISFJ SIL, and ISTJ husband, don't necessarily need constant interaction, just like to have the people they care about nearby-while I actually like spending time alone more than them as long as I am doing something interesting). He was a very impulsive, artistic, couldn't be bothered with theoretical things and did not enjoy reading books. He was very much about the aesthetics. Apparently in the studio, he would think of things quickly and to him, either it worked in 20 minutes or it wasn't worth pursuing (can you see why Brian would drive him crazy?). Although he could be exceptionally kind to people (he reportedly carried around a "birthday book" so that he could make sure he remembered and acknowledged everyone he knew's birthday, he also had no pretense in feeling like he needed to please anyone, which often made him act like a diva.

Roger: ESFP. He is the more naturally extroverted of the whole band and reportedly was the one who enjoyed being a rock star the most. He liked the attention and took the most advantage of that attention. He was the one who dressed with the latest fashions, knew the latest music, etc was all about the aesthetics, and when asked what he liked to do as a hobby he said "spend money". He is also impatient and easy to emotions and anger. Again, between the easy to anger and the impatience, also fought a lot with Brian in the studio. It was obvious to me that Se is Roger's first function and with his quick emotions making him Fi next.

John: A hard one because he was so quiet but my guess: INTP: Introvert is obviously the strongest function. He was easy going and able to go with the flow which worked well with the strong personalities of the other band members and why I think he was a P. He was very uncomfortable with the limelight, was socially awkward, but in the same respect, was able to let his hair down, reportedly, when Roger would take the lead. He definitely had Fe far down in his stack based on his poor social skills. He tended to only chime in when he really felt like he was right or had something to say which I find is very common in INTPs. The band also said that John didn't talk much but when he was comfortable, you couldn't get him to shut up. My INTP son is exactly like that. He will barely talk to people all day but when he gets a chance to let the things in his head out to someone he trusts, it becomes almost a monologue.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Freddie infp
Brian intj
Roger enfp
John intp
From what is/was described of themFreddie and Roger were very much about aesthetics. Freddie did not like reading books and couldn't be bothered with current events or heavy discussion, reportedly. He was obsessed with the arts and loved to find pretty things to decorate and collect. Roger loved being a rock star and living the rock star lifestyle with all the usual trappings (fast cars, fast women, latest fashion). I don't see iNtuitive in either of them. Both were very Se. I do agree they were not far off in personality type (same leading functions flipped Se/Fi or Fi/Se). Freddie's boyfriend Jim called them "soul mates" and is probably why they worked well in the studio with each other and why Brian's approach in the studio appeared to annoy both of them.

I think Brian is INFJ but I do think both his iNtuitiveness and Feeling is closer to the border (he is definitely I and J) so there are times when he acts INTJ and I think there are times when he acts ISFJ but overall, I think he's Ni-Fe over Ni-Ti or Si-Fe.

I completely agree with John being INTP.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think there was a reason John was the odd man out beyond being slightly younger and the last person to join.

He was the only Thinker (INTP) in the band.

While I like a good argument, I get really annoyed with illogical or emotion-heavy arguments. John was in a band with a brilliant but also only child INFJ (only children can have a hard time with conflict because the only conflict they tended to have growing up was "disappointed adults" opposed to the all out war you have with your own siblings-Brian is known for being overly sensitive to criticism); a hot-head ESFP (Roger was known for throwing things when angry-he threw his bass drum at Freddie once); and an ISFP who felt no need to please anyone (Freddie famously would just refuse to do things just because he wanted to regardless of how many people were affected by his choice-for a funny example-look up the Brian trying to get Freddie back to sing by calling "Oh, Freddie-pooh" into the PA). I can imagine there was a lot of listening to irrational arguments and dealing with emotion that as an INTP would have been exhausting. I know myself as an xNTP, I could have a logical debate/argument all day or have long in-depth discussions but dealing with overly-emotional people will drain the soul out of me. It's worse for an INTP, because from what I see from my son, they tend to be even more perplexed by other people's emotions than an ENTP whose Fe is higher.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think even the way Brian played onstage points to Ni-Fe. While Freddie absorbed the moment and was very keyed into the crowd and their response (very Fi-Se), Peter Hince (Freddie's stage assistant) said in his book that Brian would go into what the stage crew described as "Planet May" mode. Brian would be so into his playing with his head in the clouds, he would be completely oblivious to what he was doing physically. Freddie got really good at untwisting himself from Brian's guitar cord so that looked like it was part of his stage movements.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Being a Queen fan I had a go at typing the 4 members. I now think Freddie Mercury was an ESFP, Roger Taylor an ESTP and John Deacon... well difficult to say as he is so guarded, but I'd go for ISTJ.

However, my limited typing skills fail me when it comes to typing Brian May. Known for his big hair and status as guitarist for Queen and astrophysicist. He built his signature guitar, the Red Special, together with his dad using wood from an 18th century fire place. He abandoned his astrophysics PhD thesis when he began touring with Queen, completing it more than 30 years later.
With Queen he was famous for his elaborate guitar orchestrations (in the early years), and penning such hits as We Will Rock You, Tie Your Mother Down, Fat Bottomed Girls, Save Me and Hammer to Fall.
In recent years he has taken up activism, campaigning against fox hunting and other animal abuse.

To know more about what he's like, reading his "Soapbox" might be interesting. Here he talks (or rather, rants xD) about his interests (music, astrophysics, animal activism and stereophotography)
BRIAN'S SOAPBOX

This 1992 interview is quite in-depth and personal:

Don't know if you are still on here but I mentioned below what I think (INFJ). He is definitely Ni-Fe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts