Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is well known that there are lots of misunderstandings between NT's and NF's. We have only one planet to live on so we might as well learn to understand each other. What I would like is to make a bride of understanding between these types. Post what information you would like from the other type that would help us to get alone better and decrease this gap in our understand of each other.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmmm, feelinging type of things or communicationy (I have made vocabulary creation skills) type of things. I find it's easier to resolve and bridge communication differences. I suppose knowing when you are hitting "the top" of the other person's limits is good to help bridge differences. Most people know their own limits, especially in an argument... when your ability to be rational just goes right out the window and you are just angry and reacting to that. It would be nice to know how far you can go in communicating with each other before you are going to set the person off... if that makes any sense. But then, I think that's a bridge needed between any personality type:wink:

It's late on a Friday and I'm tired so my brain is starting to shut down :)

Reactions: Blue Butterfly

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
In general, I think NF/NTs can get along great, with all of us being intuitives. The main problem is the NT's analysis can be cold and upsetting to the NF. The NT may not realize he/she is even being insensitive. The way to bridge that gap is for the NT to learn to be a bit more sensitive and the NF to learn that what was said probably wasn't meant to be hurtful.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
Weird, I usually get along with NT's. Or, well, NTP's, at least. I don't know many NTJ's. I guess some general pointers would be:

- NF's don't like to argue and don't like being angry. Let us calm down before we tackle an arguement.

- Just because "we say what we mean" doesn't lead to the logical conclusion of "we mean what we say."

- Yes, we're smart, too. Don't treat us like we aren't.

- Sometimes we'll agree to something even if we don't want to do it. Damn anti-confrontation trait. We may (or may not) warm up to the idea while actually doing it, though, so there's hope.

For NT's interacting with NFP's (or Fi):

- We may get confrontational about a random thing and you might be all "GAH! What happened?!" Sorry, we really don't like confrontation, but don't say whatever you said again or we'll have to beat you up.

- We get REALLY EXCITED and/or REALLY HYPER sometimes which leads to random topics (hi, Ne, come out to play!). Don't worry, you'll learn to like it. Or you won't. Either way, you'll be unable to stop it.

- And yeah, we'll change our mind a lot and you might be all "I don't know how you'll react." This is normal. Just because we like one thing doesn't mean we'll like something similiar, or vise versa.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In general, I think NF/NTs can get along great, with all of us being intuitives. The main problem is the NT's analysis can be cold and upsetting to the NF. The NT may not realize he/she is even being insensitive. The way to bridge that gap is for the NT to learn to be a bit more sensitive and the NF to learn that what was said probably wasn't meant to be hurtful.
That right there is what has helped me from learning personality types. Because not all NT's are going to be enlightened like you guys are so they may not try to be less insensitive.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird, I usually get along with NT's. Or, well, NTP's, at least. I don't know many NTJ's. I guess some general pointers would be:

- NF's don't like to argue and don't like being angry. Let us calm down before we tackle an arguement.

- Just because "we say what we mean" doesn't lead to the logical conclusion of "we mean what we say."

- Yes, we're smart, too. Don't treat us like we aren't.

- Sometimes we'll agree to something even if we don't want to do it. Damn anti-confrontation trait. We may (or may not) warm up to the idea while actually doing it, though, so there's hope.

For NT's interacting with NFP's (or Fi):

- We may get confrontational about a random thing and you might be all "GAH! What happened?!" Sorry, we really don't like confrontation, but don't say whatever you said again or we'll have to beat you up.

- We get REALLY EXCITED and/or REALLY HYPER sometimes which leads to random topics (hi, Ne, come out to play!). Don't worry, you'll learn to like it. Or you won't. Either way, you'll be unable to stop it.

- And yeah, we'll change our mind a lot and you might be all "I don't know how you'll react." This is normal. Just because we like one thing doesn't mean we'll like something similiar, or vise versa.
This one gets me more than anything else on here. I have even read on post where INFP's were considered as children. I would love for these NT's to consider that we are intelligent and can often outperform others in logical situations. Or at least give them some good competition. As I have stated before we NF"s have a brain and we intend to use it.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Know that because we're not stoic all the time and can be silly, doesn't mean we are childish. We're just having fun. Most of the time our thoughts are deep and complex so it's good to bust loose sometimes, that's all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Personally, NFJ and NTP is an amazing interaction for me. I love NTs and I hope I have the pleasure of dating one one day. I hhave a well developed T function although I'm a feeler through and through. I like to think me personally that I bridge the gap between NFs and NTs. I love being an INFJ. Although it can be a pain in the ass sometimes. That's when the T and the type 5 of me comes out. My goal is to keep a balance, as long as both types strive towards that I think you'll see that gap close.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Know that because we're not stoic all the time and can be silly, doesn't mean we are childish. We're just having fun. Most of the time our thoughts are deep and complex so it's good to bust loose sometimes, that's all.

We INFP's could explode if we were serious all the time. Our minds go deeper than we ever revel to others. We are nowhere near childish.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Can you elaborate?

Is there a way to get you to admit you don't want to do something if you really don't want to?

I have run into this.. Suddenly my INFP friend will start fighting over something and I'm like why are we fighting? You hate confrontation!

As another Ne user, this is one of the best things about the relationship

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I LIKE ENTJs.... their like our annoying know it all cousin that you love but you just cant stand sometimes! NTs in general, I get along with... actually i get along with everyone! but NTs, I love their competitive direct confrontational nature. its something im lacking that I wish I had... the ability to tell someone what your thinking about, no bs....

·
Registered
501 Posts
This one gets me more than anything else on here. I have even read on post where INFP's were considered as children. I would love for these NT's to consider that we are intelligent and can often outperform others in logical situations. Or at least give them some good competition. As I have stated before we NF"s have a brain and we intend to use it.
I have never considered NFs to be unintelligent. I think that many rationals can be dismissive of the idealist because, well, they are pretty idealistic and some rationals can be fairly jaded. The gap between real and ideal is sometimes too large and that is the sad truth.

As a teacher, I found MBTI to be very helpful in classroom management. I taught some higher level honors literature classes and found that the students that I had tested as idealists (yes, I did it on the first day of school!) were often more eloquent, articulate writers. They often picked up on nuances that other types missed. I had several that were in advanced science and math courses. My favorite student of all time was an ENFP. Sometimes I thought he could have taught my class for me.

Y'all are awesome. Don't let us get you down. :wink:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I LIKE ENTJs.... their like our annoying know it all cousin that you love but you just cant stand sometimes! NTs in general, I get along with... actually i get along with everyone! but NTs, I love their competitive direct confrontational nature. its something im lacking that I wish I had... the ability to tell someone what your thinking about, no bs....
I have met a lot of ENTJ's that I dearly loved. Grim that used to post on here was one of those very special people. I wish he would come back and post again.

I have never considered NFs to be unintelligent. I think that many rationals can be dismissive of the idealist because, well, they are pretty idealistic and some rationals can be fairly jaded. The gap between real and ideal is sometimes too large and that is the sad truth.

As a teacher, I found MBTI to be very helpful in classroom management. I taught some higher level honors literature classes and found that the students that I had tested as idealists (yes, I did it on the first day of school!) were often more eloquent, articulate writers. They often picked up on nuances that other types missed. I had several that were in advanced science and math courses. My favorite student of all time was an ENFP. Sometimes I thought he could have taught my class for me.

Y'all are awesome. Don't let us get you down. :wink:
Thank you for your words. And most NT's are going to be mature enough to understand that we are intelligent too. But I have seen post from other NT's saying they thought of us as unintelligent and one even said were where like children. That did not set to well for me when I read that post. I know there are lots of NT's like you that are mature and know how to communicate with us. And you guys are just special in my eyes.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thank you for your words. And most NT's are going to be mature enough to understand that we are intelligent too. But I have seen post from other NT's saying they thought of us as unintelligent and one even said were where like children. That did not set to well for me when I read that post. I know there are lots of NT's like you that are mature and know how to communicate with us. And you guys are just special in my eyes.
The NFs I've known have seemed more intelligent than most people, it's something I can recognize in them fairly quickly

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
Can you elaborate?
Well, I think the term "Devil's Advocate" could apply. Or "misinterpretation." I know I try to convey what I mean in the simpliest way possible. But sometimes I don't believe in what I'm saying or it doesn't come out right. An example would be when I represent the opposition's side for a debate. Just because I'm meaning what I say (what the opposite side would say) doesn't mean I agree with it.

Does that help?

Is there a way to get you to admit you don't want to do something if you really don't want to?
Security. Knowing that it isn't really important to you will make me more liable to speak up. Especially knowing you won't be mad or disappointed. But don't keep asking if it's okay, because that's just annoying (I know people who will do this...).

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have met a lot of ENTJ's that I dearly loved. Grim that used to post on here was one of those very special people. I wish he would come back and post again.
Gasp what happened to Grim? he was tight!
The NFs I've known have seemed more intelligent than most people, it's something I can recognize in them fairly quickly
WOW, thats like the nicest thing an NT has said about an NF.
::hug:: to hug, you open your arms and embrace a person that you know. and you wrap your arms around that person, and it makes them feel good, this my fellow NTs is called a hug. XD

Im joking....no, seriously though im joking....

Joking, This is something that us NFs like to do, were playful lil creatures that believe in fairy dust and magic... oooooo.... Q_Q im still joking by the way... you see?! I know you NTs couldnt tell!! XD... kiddddddinnnnng.

I love you NTs, if it werent for you guys, then the Xbox would have never been invented. Thank you NTs ::hug::

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're not heartless. We just keep our hearts carefully locked away until we need them.:tongue:

That is a very good point that all NF's need to understand. And that if we don't understand where you are coming from to know that heart is still in you. And we need to understand that you are making decisions based on thinking and not feelings like we would. So your decisions will be different from the ones we would make. And that does not make you heartless in the least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts