Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'sup?
I wanted to attempt a portrait/descriptor of a type - of sorts, figured I'd just start with my own type and see what people think.
I want to try get out there the more negative aspects of the INFJ personality type, so some people might find sections of this harsh.

--

INFJs are 2.8% of the general populace according to official statistics from the mbtionline.com page, in the Type Trends section.
INFJ males are the rarest male type, at 1.7%.
INFJ females are the fifth rarest type, at 3.7%, more common than female INTPs, INTJs, ISTPs and ENTJs.
Just wanted to address the 'less than 1%' statistic that is bandied about, as it's untrue with regards to INFJs in general.

At their best.
INFJs at their best, as we're all more than aware due to stereotypes etc - are insightful and creative individuals with a penchant for spotting hidden meanings and patterns with regards to people, their behaviours, and how they interact with others.

INFJs rely on their intuition and hunches to get through life - and have a knack for making what appears to outsiders as wild assumptions - no groundings in reality - however, as any good INFJ knows - these insights are often accurate - they don't require facts or evidence to support them, they're their truth, hence why they rely on them and hence why they're INFJs.

INFJs are idealistic theorists with a clear vision of what society needs (for better or worse) and they can be uncompromising and dogmatic with regards to carrying out these visions - or organized and decisive - you choose. :)

Some downsides.
If an INFJ doesn't see meaning in their work, if it means nothing and serves no greater purpose, the INFJ checks out, cares less, and ultimately becomes deflated and 'not give a fuck-y'.

INFJs require immense amounts of solitude in order to process their thoughts and be themselves - due to being introverted intuitives - they simply have to be allowed time to let their mind do what it needs to do.
They are not action-oriented thinkers. They are not lightning fast problem solvers.

When faced with a serious issue or a hurdle, INFJs require time alone to devise a solution that will keep all parties happy - if they are denied this time alone, they will do one of two things: produce a subpar solution and risk looking stupid (not likely, due to foreseeing how the subpar solution will play out and not wanting to embarrass themselves in this fashion) - or alternatively, simply refuse to produce a solution altogether until given ample time alone (more likely).

This can frustrate the absolute shit out of people who are relying on the INFJ to make a decision - it boils down to their preference for Feeling over Thinking. The INFJ wants to produce the best solution for all involved, in accordance with the wants, needs, values, opinions, thoughts and beliefs of themselves and others.
INFJs are well aware of all of the above re: everybody involved in a situation, and therefore can be indecisive as they ultimately want everybody to be happy.

This sounds like "oh poor me, you care too much" - but understand, this thought process will aggravate partners, bosses, colleagues etc - it's not a positive trait in todays society - and repeatedly forcing others to endure this thought process will deteriorate these relationships over time.

Things that piss an INFJ off.
INFJs can't stand minutia - dealing with finances, dealing with everyday chores, having to pay attention to - and read - the small print etc - all of this requires the INFJs time, and presence - and time is something INFJs have a very solid grasp on - they would rather be anywhere else, doing anything else, than dealing with trivial mundane crap - this attitude can get the INFJ in serious trouble, as they miss things that are critically important.

i.e the INFJ who jumps online to look at flight ticket prices for themselves and a friend, sees it costs $311, and tells their family members that they'll be down to see them on X date - then when they go to book, they find that price was one-way and per-person, making the total cost in excess of $1200. This kind of carelessness.. this nonchalant attitude towards finer details, is a glaring and painful flaw in the INFJ and one that should be emphasised in INFJ descriptors.

It's not just 'misses the small details', it's relationship destroying oversights and finding yourself unemployed due to a lack of attention to detail.

Other things that piss an INFJ off:
- changing plans at the last minute
- people arguing
- being forced to be in large groups of people for more than 1 minute
- having too many things to do at once
- anything repetitive
- being criticised - whether the criticism is real or an imaginary perception doesn't matter

When pissed off.
When any/all of the above occurs, INFJs get defensive, short-tempered, negative and grouchy, and will do anything they can to avoid what they know they should be doing* - this can take the form of playing video games for days on end, getting absorbed in an interest to the point of obsession, overindulge in food, sex, alcohol and drugs and take on overall addictive personality.

It's important to note that if you feel this is you *most of the time*, i.e, not just under the stressors of the above - then you're probably somebody with SP preferences who needs to work on making better judgments.

When INFJs are in this 'grouchy/negativist' mode - it can take quite a long time to pull them out of it, and they'll view the world in a far more pessimistic way than they usually do - they will question the existence of humanity, they will claim nothing matters in the end, they will come across as aggressive and hostile to those around them - and it will most likely be their loved ones who bear the brunt of this negativity.

They become a dark cloud.

Couple more downsides.
INFJs, like all NF types - can have a tendency to project their own thoughts/opinions onto others - i.e make assumptions that somebody is thinking a certain thing, when this thing is actually something the INFJ themselves are thinking - basically, claiming to read someones mind and using the other person to project their own negative thoughts.

*avoiding what they know they should be doing, can include serious conversations with intimates etc - it's not exclusive to 'action' or 'things' that need to be done - and so, part of this avoidance can include attempts to change the topic in order to not have to engage in a discussion that needs to be had - this is shared with all NF types.

INFJs - again, like all NF types - can also have a tendency to completely erase large sections of their life clean out of their memory - unpleasant times.

Some things INFJs can do to 'get better'.
- Invite a friend out and have a 1-on-1 conversation, and let them know what's troubling you - getting it out there is important for FJ types, as this, *imo*, is how they best analyse their own feelings - once they hear themselves say things, then it becomes information they can absorb and introspect on - they're not so great at doing this, without verbalising them - far better at doing that with other peoples feelings etc than their own.. like all J types, they're better at processing information that comes from outside themselves so as weird as it sounds, hearing your own voice saying how you feel is something that can help INFJs analyse their own feelings etc a lot - it can give you the information you need, to get over being 'pissed off'.

- INFJs can do something that clears their mind - something sensual - play some music, go for a walk, have a beer, paint, draw, get creative, kick some ball, go for a swim - anything that removes you from your N, and lets your weaker S get some healthy play-time is important, as it gives your intuition the break it requires to process information - and it boosts your spirits - for me, anyway, indulging in S style activities almost feels like an 'awakening' of sorts. It's ridiculous how effective this is.
You will genuinely feel better, and just magically have a better grasp on whatever is troubling you.

--

That's about all I'll put in for now, I might make a blog or something and kind of do that sort of thing, if people half-dig it.

Keen to hear peoples thoughts.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Very interesting. The descriptions seem accurate, but some of the negative ones are a little exaggerated. E.g. they don’t like spending more than a min with a group of people (which is the most glaring example). Other than that I think you did a good job. I feel like you may have let some frustration with the swarm of unicorn stereotypes color your description but hey... maybe that’s what PerC needs.

Reactions: Turi

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Very good. A bit exaggerated in some points, but by now I would be surprised if there wasn't a bit of that in a thread of yours.

Now make one for INTJs.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good. A bit exaggerated in some points, but by now I would be surprised if there wasn't a bit of that in a thread of yours.

Haha.. you guys *think* it's exaggerated.. but it ain't.. :p (emoticon = F Dom?)

Now make one for INTJs.
Did you just try to Te me? ha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts