Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost comical how a simple greeting or a smile can mean to us. A kind gesture, even on a seemingly small scale, could serve as a pick me up that could ripple infinitely forward.

Still, lots of us are guilty of keeping some of our thoughts to ourselves. I don't know how many times I've written someone a message on here only to back out at the last second because I didn't know them well enough and they may feel awkward or I simply didn't want to bother them. The problem here is, you're using your own insecurities to put words in their mouth.

On the flip side, I know many of you are notification dorks who are quick to notice the numerical digit change next to Notifications: WHAT IS IT!? Someone thanked my post -- which one!? A mention? A quote! A message? Whatever it may be, most often it's a nice little pat on that head that makes you feel appreciated and as if you've contributed something that was useful to at least somebody.

Let's take this a step further and have a bit of an experiment.

Anyone that posts in this thread is, with open arms, inviting anyone to post on their visitor wall (profile page) & intends to respond to that person at least once.

Random suggestions (no limits!)
- You can simply exchange a basic pleasantry "hey, I hope you have an amazing day!"
- I noticed in your bio that _____________
- In your forum post, include a question for people to answer. Remember to send some love back after you get a response.
- I like your avatar
- Check out this song *link* and tell me what you think.
- *random picture*
- You made me think // what do you think of... this poem *post*
- Nostalgia: I remember when you ______________________ I thought it was great!
- Random question: Will you be my date for the prom!?
etc~

Throw your fishing line out there and see what happens! You never know what you may hear, and you also don't know what might materialize from it. It could be nothing! It could be everlasting!

Moderator Note: This is intended for the INFJ section only. If you intend to move it elsewhere, please lock it instead.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread, @Lad. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten that many responses. I think it's great the potential that this could have if more people participate.

Come now, people, don't be shy :tongue:

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Pshh, as if I need a reason to post on someone's wall. I message random people all the time. xD

Great thread idea, though. I also relate to what you say when I get a thank/quote.

So... anyone want to invite me to prom? :proud:

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Well, I was shy at saying anything but fuck it. This is so cool and you're true about the notifications, make us feel like they really read what we write and it's nice when they notice something that you believe it's just a random stupid comment.

:kitteh:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
This is an interesting idea. I hope it is successful.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I like this idea! I'm definitely guilty of over excitement when I see I have a notification... :tongue:

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
Great thread idea! Thanks @Lad

Still, lots of us are guilty of keeping some of our thoughts to ourselves. I don't know how many times I've written someone a message on here only to back out at the last second because I didn't know them well enough and they may feel awkward or I simply didn't want to bother them.
Guilty as charged :unsure: There are so many people around here I wish I was brave enough to tell them how awesome I think they are. I think I have to get over my fears and talk to them anyway!

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
It's almost comical how a simple greeting or a smile can mean to us. A kind gesture, even on a seemingly small scale, could serve as a pick me up that could ripple infinitely forward.
Me too! Although I often try to repay gestures in kind, or show simple gestures of respect to others. Just yesterday when I was walking around the mall, a sales lady asked me if I needed assistance. I said no but thank you, and tipped my hat as a gentlemanly gesture. She told me she was impressed with that and it was nice some guys still did that. So it was nice to see my simple gesture helped perk somebody else up.

Great idea for a thread. Please don't be shy to post visitor messages on my profile. I love my fellow INFJs, and I always repay kindness with kindness. :)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the support thus far. I've messaged/responded to everyone above me, but for the sake of transparency and interest I'll mention things I've noticed or was interested in about when I interacted with people.

@Eggsies -- He basically lives 10-20 mins away from me.
@Gnothi Seauton - I'm really curious about his reference to meditation, something I think many of us are intrigued by, but don't seem to have the patience or persistence to pursue.
@Vishnushiva -- What the F... another person from the same province in Canada as me.
@Antipode -- Just general thoughts of appreciation about how he's livened things up around here.
@Lemxn -- Curious about what kinds of dancing she is into. She also has a brilliant quote I've read elsewhere about dating a girl that reads. If you haven't seen it...

“You should date a girl who reads.
Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes, who has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she has found the book she wants. You see that weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a secondhand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow and worn.

She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.

Buy her another cup of coffee.

Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas, for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry and in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

She has to give it a shot somehow.

Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.

Fail her. Because a girl who reads knows that failure always leads up to the climax. Because girls who read understand that all things must come to end, but that you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.

Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are.

You will propose on a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually next time she’s sick. Over Skype.

You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.

Or better yet, date a girl who writes.”

― Rosemarie Urquico

@iceblock -- Curious about his short stories, but admittedly asked him about a business and finance forum he suggested for here.
@Ad Astra -- General observations and thoughts. Seems like an interesting person worth unraveling.
@confused girl28 -- This girl has an amazing love story and admittedly I've only seen tidbits of it here and there. She's one of those people you get excited for.

Guilty as charged :unsure: There are so many people around here I wish I was brave enough to tell them how awesome I think they are. I think I have to get over my fears and talk to them anyway!
We may actually have to make a thread to do this, because I think to posting to visitor messages is going to limit a lot of people because of that reason.
(Responding to both).

Ya, I've contemplated bumping up an old INFJ... I think it was a crush thread to just generally express some thoughts about a few people on here. However, I hate bumping old threads especially when many of the members retired / left. Then you're paranoid about making a new thread because you don't want to seem seedy or attention seeking~ Either of you (or someone else) make it and I'll jump on board.

@Peguy -- Certainly brought a smile to my face to read his hat tipping story. Outside of that though, asked about his views on spirituality and what it means to him. I'm really curious about this topic as a whole... may need to start a thread about it.

-----------------

p.s. Guys, remember that sometimes you'll be the responder and other times you'll be the initiator. You can click on all the mentioned names in my post to open up their visitor message boards.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
@Lad great insights and general advice. Always anticipate quality posts when I see your name in front of it.

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
Dear @Lad I have made a new friend today, thanks to your thread :proud:
and thank you so much for your kind words :blushed:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Bumping this, as it's a great thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Recipe box from my grandmother mind, energy bars...

Follow the instructions:
1- You will need: Youtube.com
2- Preparation time: Around 22 minutes
2- Add those ingredients in the following order in your mind:

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Now is the Start - A Fine Frenzy
Follow You Arrow - Kacey Musgraves
Safe and Sound - Capital Cities
Gone, Gone, Gone - Phillip Phillips
Avicii - Wake Me Up

Now share your love with people around you :) You may be allergic to one ingredient or don't like something, so just remove it :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts