Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting fact time!!! Did you guys know what Brita water filters dont actually filter or purify your water? They're for the aesthetic appeal of water- removing the chlorine smell and taste. Read the box, it says directly (well... not quite. its VERY tiny writing) on it that it isnt intended for purifying your water. The new job I have requires me to do water testing, and tap water has just as many PPM's (parts per milliion) as Brita water from the same tap. Just a nice little interesting fact for the day :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, if anything, activated carbon (which is what most Brita filters use) does a good job at removing organic impurities in the water. But you're right, the only way to get rid of chlorine is to let the chlorine oxidize. That means leaving your water out for a little while so the chlorine can evaporate, or installing some kind of dechlorinator.

But yes, activated carbon does NOT remove chlorine. When you keep fish, this is one of the first things you should learn. Never assume Brita-filtered water = safe water for fishies.

I think the most effective way of filtering water is to set up a reverse osmosis system. Which is largely a pain in the ass, but hey, if you want really filtered water...

·
Registered
636 Posts
PPMs of what? Only chlorine? I don't think anyone expected it to remove ALL impurities.

More importantly, why is there a significant amount of chlorine in your water anyway?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
It's supposed to kill any bacteria, and kill any strange taste left from seeing as it's usually reclaimed, I assume.

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
I was under the impression that most public water supplies are "chlorinated" with Chloramine, rather than hypochlorous acid.
I don't expect the filter to completely remove Chloramine, but Brita does claim a significant reduction (along with reduction of other disinfection byproducts).

Activated carbon is used to remove Chloramine, eg:
Granular activated carbon usage in chloramine r... [Artif Organs. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

I am a little curious to see your data though...

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Activated carbon eats the crap out of chlorine. The one time we added it to the water here at my plant, we had to double our normal dosage of chlorine (we use gaseous chlorine, which splits into hypochlorous acid and OCl-) to keep our residuals. For this kind of chlorine, it works great.

That said, while some forms of chloramines are removed by activated carbon, monochloramine, the one that you're worried about for tropical fish is only removed if it's exposed for a couple of minutes. The brita filter is flow through, so not gonna work.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Activated carbon eats the crap out of chlorine. The one time we added it to the water here at my plant, we had to double our normal dosage of chlorine (we use gaseous chlorine, which splits into hypochlorous acid and OCl-) to keep our residuals. For this kind of chlorine, it works great.

That said, while some forms of chloramines are removed by activated carbon, monochloramine, the one that you're worried about for tropical fish is only removed if it's exposed for a couple of minutes. The brita filter is flow through, so not gonna work.
You could always tape up the bottom, lol.

·
Banned
273 Posts
Having and making clean and pure water has always been a serious interest to me. I use a 6 stage Reverse Osmosis system as well as having a Berkey Light water filter that's gravity fed. My Berkey Light won't change the PPMs as it's designed to keep minerals in but it will take out all the nasty pathogenic bacteria and viruses.

The good thing about having a Berkey water filter is that it's gravity fed and doesn't require the optimal 65 psi as my RO system does and I can take it ANYWHERE on the road with me.

When I go up to Rocky Mountain National Park camping I always take my Berkey Light and pour water in it from the lake and drink it, never have gotten sick. Wouldn't even think about doing that with a Brita. lol

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Hard water is better. :p

I love the smell and taste of water with minerals rather than the no-smell no-taste of filtered water.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
They're for the aesthetic appeal of water- removing the chlorine smell and taste.
More often than not I think this is what people buy them for (especially in big cities or other places with unpleasant tasting tap water). I purchased one years ago because the tap water where I lived had a really mineral-y taste to it and the filter made it taste a lot better. Since I drink a lot of water it was a good investment.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hard water is better. :p

I love the smell and taste of water with minerals rather than the no-smell no-taste of filtered water.
I totally agree about the taste of harder water. Especially if it's oxygented. Toss in the positive effects on heart health, and bonzai!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts