Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFP

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the incarnations of Batman over 60+ years, I want to give him a definitive decision on his type. I see either INTJ or an INFJ using his cold, calculating dark side against criminals. What do you think? (As many Batman threads as there've been, just humor me.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The Batman portrayed by Christian Bale is ISTP.

He is much more tactical than following a rigid plan of action and having an end game.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm leaning toward INFJ... Are we including comics?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Batman has developed so much through the years. If we tried to make him one definite type based on an amalgamation of the comics and all movies (the TV series doesn't count in my world ;)), it would be bordering on impossible. He should be some type of NT I guess, but that isn't always the case, depending on comic era/movie (yes, I read Batman comics and the graphic novels since I was 14, geek-alert). That's why I didn't cast a vote.

What I can't see however is Nolan's Batman being any type of SP. He is either INFJ or INTJ. Just my opinion of course.

He has and uses Se, but it is weak to start with, and he needs to develop it. I think especially Batman Begins is symptomatic for that. I'll spare you the quotes and situations, just watch it again...

At the end of the day, that's what Batman was always about: A human being who has developed himself to the peak of his mental and physical abilities. The fact that he uses Se (or any other function for that matter) doesn't necessarily mean it's naturally strong. In Nolan's films, it actually trips him too often. That's a guy who has learned to use Se to a decent level, but who has still very weak moments (in all three films).

What I definitely see in him is Ni dominance. I mean, how can the end of "The Dark Knight" not reek of Ni? I guess you could build a case for both Ni/Fe or Ni/Te though, depending on your own angle (and fall victim to the Forer effect ;)).

Nolan's Bruce Wayne is a slightly stronger Feeler than Thinker in my books, but that could well be a means to make the audience feel sympathy. We are talking about a fictional character here after all. I also feel he has other strong Te and Ti users do much of that work for him, and he just adopts it. And yes, I always approach it from looking at Bruce Wayne. I'm not of the "Batman is the real character"-breed, so if you are, you need to look at it differently.

Nolan's Bruce Wayne is humanitarian to his core. He is value-driven (not conceptual/abstract, which would be more Te). That's more Ni/Fe.
Especially the end of "The Dark Knight Rises" could be regarded more Ni/Te: Conflict solved, everything's brought to a conclusion, time to move on.

But, and that's a big one: If you look at it from a Jungian perspective, INFJ and INTJ are more or less the same type. Their dominant function works regardless of their auxiliary. A Ni dom obviously doesn't lead with Fe or Te, so the differences can be really small to non-apparent. Some researchers actually recommend looking at the tertiary or inferior instead, because they are usually more apparent in stressful situations. Weak S in both, doesn't help. The tertiary often works in tandem with the dominant, or even mimics it. T or F - more interesting. Make of that what you will ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah, Batman has been portrayed in many different ways over the years. Nolan's is definitely an INxJ for my money. Although, @FallingSlowly is correct in saying that he should probably be some type of NT if you look at the way he is often explained. Although I went the Te/Fi route in voting INTJ, a very strong case, maybe even stronger case can be made for INFJ with Fe/Ti route if you are going just with Nolan's films (although having studied film, the things that suggest this could likely be device, just like FallingSlowly wrote, to create an emotional connection in the audience). I tend to think of Batman as a bit more of the deeply seeded Fi type, but that said anyone who wants to could make a strong case for Fe without using faulty logic. Part of the Te/Fi I see about him though is that one of his central ideas as Bruce Wayne before he even becomes Batman is to jump into the shoes of criminals by using his own experiences. He does illegal things to try to get into the mind of criminals. (Although again saying an INFJ wouldn't or couldn't do the same isn't something I could completely rely on; it's just a matter of opinion on a fence-sitter) He also has trouble understanding the idea of the Joker until Alfred breaks it down for him. This could be him using his own Ti, or it could be a fault of overly relying on Te which in normal situations would suggest the nothing-gained but the world burning thought process to be unlikely and confusing to the point that it might not have occurred to him without a little nudge. I feel an INFJ might have figured that out on their own, although anyone can feel free to point out my own potentially poor use of Te in this argument if you feel I'm missing something. While I also tend to find Batman's refusal to use guns an Fi response, one could argue Ti or Fe as well. Ni deals with many symbols, Batman is a symbol, as well as aspects of him (the bat, the darkness, the fear of being caught doing evil). The gun is very much a symbol (often of power) as is noticeably absent, which is a calculated decision. What aides Ni in this decision is up for debate I suppose. We'll I'm done rambling.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is tough to see Batman as INFJ sometimes because of how adept he is in scientific & strategic endeavors, which you don't typically see from an INFJ.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Some people say ISTP some say INTJ. Personally I haven't read enough batman to make a firm conclusion but INTJ could fit the bill. Then again INTJ and ISTP can look similar so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is tough to see Batman as INFJ sometimes because of how adept he is in scientific & strategic endeavors, which you don't typically see from an INFJ.
Oh, you haven't seen me when I was still a scientific researcher ;) I was pretty good at it (despite hating the line of work). I think that's a bit black and white.

But I don't think he has been an INFJ through the decades. Miller might have portrayed him as one (although he was a bit off the hook and rather unhealthy), and that's possibly the reason why the Nolan interpretation leans a bit in that direction as well. But generally, I'd lean more towards INTJ. And sometimes, even some ISTx type (especially in the early comics).

Really impossible to go for one type imho, we'd possibly need to go by era and universe, and that's too tedious ;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only saw The Dark Knight Returns movies but Bruce was Ni, with the way he interacted with Batman as a side of him. & the way he felt others' pain while watching the news is Fe. Never read the early comics though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kevin Conroy's Batman seemed INTJ. Christian Bale seemed INFJ. Val Kilmer as Batman is INFJ. Michael Keaton as Batman is INTJ, I think. I heard in the early comics that Batman used to kill & was motivated by simple revenge, seems ISTP.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Kevin Conroy's Batman seemed INTJ. Christian Bale seemed INFJ. Val Kilmer as Batman is INFJ. Michael Keaton as Batman is INTJ, I think. I heard in the early comics that Batman used to kill & was motivated by simple revenge, seems ISTP.
I think this might nail it. Of course, I consider Kevin Conroy Batman, who is pretty much the same as the Batman in most of the comics, to be "the" Batman. Now what about Adam West Batman, haha? I'm thinking maybe ESFP?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just couldn't watch Adam West. XD. I got it! Batman was stressed & vengeful at first, using Ti & Se. Then he found a balance: Vengeance with Justice, Batman & Bruce Wayne are 2 people, & focused on helping the innocent. (Ni + Fe). His intellect is developed Ti.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts