Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BULLYING: Personality type with a tendency to bully others? Type of the victims?

160K views 221 replies 160 participants last post by  cyamitide 
#1 ·
1. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to a bully?

Can you rank them from 1, being the one with the strongest tendency to bully others.

2. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to the victims?

Can you rank them from 1, being the perfect victim.

#2 ·
Bully: ESTP.

Victim: ISFP.

ESTP's enjoy physical sensations (e.g. pranks, teasing, fighting) and are able to be callous from their preference for thinking. The ISFP is quiet and sensitive, which creates a submissive victim for these cold acts.

#4 ·
hmmm i thought i had posted here..
Obviously bullying and being bullied depend on each person. But the types more prone to fit those roles are:

ESTJ, ESTP, ENTP, ENTJ for bullies

INFP, INTP, INTJ for bullied.

I disagree on ISFP being bullied in general, because theya re usually really trendy and up to date with what is fashionable and so they are usually stylish and graceful.

#8 ·
You are all a bunch of sissy wimps, especially Sunless. You better watch out if I ever get you alone sunny :wink:

#9 ·
I've never been bullied, but apparently some INFPs have experienced it. I'm not all that nice & soft past the surface. My Fi has some sharp teeth. I know an ISFP girl who endured some very catty style of bulling.... I think that when necessary, a N-aux has the power of an unexpected sharp reply or the ability to block out & be indifferent to reality, and that is a saving grace. ISFPs are not as equipped in those areas.

1. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to a bully?

ESTP - beats you up and steals your lunch money bullying
ESTJ - mocks you for being weird bullying
ESFJ - "mean girls" type of bullying, cattiness, spreading rumors
ISTP - sarcastic comments under breath, mocking what seems stupid & unrealistic to them
ENTJ - psychological warfare bullying...think Jeff on "Flipping Out"
NTs - online trolling bullying

2. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to the victims?

ISFJ - they want to be accepted (SJ), can have a hard time standing up for themselves, and are sensitive. They also express emotion more openly, which can make them targets.
ISFP - sensitive, often offbeat and attract negative attention because of it.
ISTJ - they can be "nerd" types
All INxx - because we are the "weirdos", right? :tongue:

#22 ·
ENTJ - psychological warfare bullying...think Jeff on "Flipping Out"
I was a bully at one point in time. No I do not look back on it fondly, and anyone who talks to me now knows I'm much different. Anyone I gotta say OrangeAppled is on to something because though I've never seen "Flipping Out" but the psychological warfare type of bullying was definitely my area of expertise.

Anyway since people seem to be arguing about INTJs, in my experience they are never really bullied but at the same time I've never seen one as a bully. They are generally too strong willed to let others dominate them, but not strong enough to outwardly dominate others. At least not typically. Those are my two cents anyway.

#67 ·
THIS

& also:

ENFJ are excellent bullies. I've personally observed an ENFJ doing so first hand. The reason ENFJ are such good bullies is because they are very socially manipulative. When you think of "bullying" you think of the classical, tough bully in the play ground pushing little kids around. However, the social bully is one that manipulates situations, excludes/isolates others, etc.

#12 ·
I think bullying is a skill more than a personality trait. If anything personality affects more the style of the bulling than the fact of the bully, as OrangeAppled was touching on.

E's here seem to be seen as bullies for their quickness in assuming a role within a group, or for that matter finding themselves within a group to begin with. That extroverts are energized through interaction, however, does not mean theirs is the only group to occasionally find impulse to "bully".

I was a bully, but a psychological one. I manipulated friends to follow me. I used aggressive stances and tone to intimidate and harass. Twisted logic was my weapon of choice: what better way to control others than to convince them they agree with you? Words are far greater tools for a ruler than any force of arms.

But that's an INTJ for you ha :crazy:

#14 ·
NOTE; I wouldn't classify an INTJ as a victim either, but a deceiver.
It's very hard to be a victim when you think of the bully as more worthless than the dirt beneath your boots.

#15 ·
LOLOL INTJs bullied? Most of the INTJs I know were either left alone or were the bullies. Personally I was the anti-bully. I was the kid that beat up the bullies for messing with my friends, or in most cases I didn't beat them up I just tortured them with traps and mental torture until they gave up hope. I only beat up two or three.

#17 · (Edited)
Mmm it kind of happened before. I got bullied up to some extent (...), but somehow always got back to them. :proud: So they either left me alone afterwards, or decided to suddenly like me again and show shreds of respect.
It were either girls who needed attention for being dumb or boys who somehow didn't get what they want so they decided to turn mean on me.
It was stupid and annoying, but confirmed my thoughts on people and taught me stuff...

I was accused of bullying four times towards girls. :/ I was honest to one, mean to one, played a game with one (her account, actually), and was bad to one (without intending to, which was a rly bad situation and stupid of me). And then I learned a lesson I guess. I genuinely apologized to all of them. I was really young though, and I realize why certain things happened.

Sometimes I also stood up for a 'bullied' or disliked kid.

#18 ·
Anyone can be a jerk. Mayne inverted people act out because they are so insecure that they take their frustrations out on other people. Maybe extroverted people do it because they enjoy feeling power over others. Typing bullies won't work. Anyone can be an ass

#21 ·
I think that extroverts, specifically ES types (although EN types can be pretty nasty because they know how to push buttons), are more representative among bullies because they are very concerned with the outside environment, as well as attempting to save face. As someone who has been a victim of bullying, I have learned that the main reason that people bully is so that they can make themselves feel better in light of putting someone down. An E type is less likely to focus insecurity and self-doubt inwards, so they respond by taking out their anger and trying to deflect their insecurities on other people.

I honestly do not see introverted types as traditional bullies. Introverted people tend to keep to themselves and are not likely to bully, unless in retaliation. I think that, on the whole, introverts are more likely to be bullied because their quietness and self-assuredness can make prime targets for bullies. Quietness is seen as a weakness, whereas quiet confidence is often very threatening. Bullies also seem to after people who more easily succumb to their attacks...a high F might contribute. If the bully does not succeed in making the person feel worthless, then their attacks are ineffective and will try to go after someone from whom they can get a reaction.

I wonder if more female bullies are introverted, since female bullying is often about being secretive and passive-agressive (though girls can be just as physical as boys!). I can see an ISFJ being a pretty conniving bully...

#26 ·
I honestly do not see introverted types as traditional bullies. Introverted people tend to keep to themselves and are not likely to bully, unless in retaliation.
If I strike back, then you deserve it.
I can see an ISFJ being a pretty conniving bully...
The person that I want to killl the most is an ISFJ. May I tear him to bloody ribbons in front of his mother. That guy is a real peice of shit. I use his photograph for target practice.

#25 ·
What the hell!? Apparently I'm too nice. No more playing nice. I'm going to start being a bully since apparently that's what my personality type is supposed to do. :crazy:

However, I won't take it out on my best friend that's an INTJ... He's quite the bully... 6'4" 220 lbs... And knows martial arts... I'll leave him alone... Hehe!

#28 ·
I was bullied a LOT and looking back on it the combination of being odd AND confident made me a huge target. I never quite got the whole "just ignore them and they will go away thing"

:laughing:

Oy.

But it did hurt me a lot. I often felt hated, and rejected, not just by bullies by by normal kids. Though to be honest I was NOT a likable child. I'd like to think I've grown.

#31 ·
Breaking the trend to admit this now. I, the stereotypical ENFP, was once a huge bully.
Think NFs can't bully? I was the meanest embodiment of a scumbag bitch ever. I look back and shudder at the things I've done. :sad:
After a while, I've progressed into an anti-bully (as Wolfie defined), but up until amidst middle school, I was both psychologically and physically aggressive towards many of my peers.

I think the types I picked on most (though it wasn't type specific in the least) were INFx...and many of my fellow bullies were most likely ESxx's.

#32 ·
Breaking the trend to admit this now. I, the stereotypical ENFP, was once a huge bully.
Think NFs can't bully? I was the meanest embodiment of a scumbag bitch ever. I look back and shudder at the things I've done. :sad:
After a while, I've progressed into an anti-bully (as Wolfie defined), but up until amidst middle school, I was both psychologically and physically aggressive towards many of my peers.

I think the types I picked on most (though it wasn't type specific in the least) were INFx...and many of my fellow bullies were most likely ESxx's.
I have to say you are one of the last people on this forum I would have pegged as a bully. Glad to see you're on the good guys' side now.

#33 ·
Wow. I can't relate to this entire thread. The E/I thing doesn't jive with me.

I'm an ENFP and was bullied quite a bit. I think it's because I can't standing fighting at all and want everyone to get along. People can take advantage of that.

And still when a stronger or more domineering personality meets me they have this tendency to want to protect me.

I would never bully someone else. That would be too painful for me because I know how it feels. I have had to learn assertive skills in order to get through life.

I was bullied by an INTP in college. BIG TIME.

I knew an INTJ who was beat up all the time when he was young. Verbal skills will only get you so far at that age. He said that's when he learned to "not show" when he was hurt or upset. But as an adult he was pretty dominating and sexy :wink:

#44 ·
I was bullied by an INTP in college. BIG TIME.
Really? Are you sure he/she was an INTP?

At least INTJ's have sometimes such big egoes and self-confidence than they can look down on to others, but that's not our case. It's hard to assimilate that an INTP could act as a bully (every INTP dichotomy points in the opposite direction).

I was (only psychologically) bullied in my chilhood. I live in a very small village, you can imagine. The probability of interacting with similar types in these days, zero. But my village is near to a city, so when I went to High School and University, that problem dissapeared.

#178 ·
I agree.. I used to have an ENFJ friend who used to bully me a lot, I never really realised how much bullying and manipulating was going on until our relationship ended.
I really don't understand the ESTP being a bully. =/
All the ESTPs I know are pretty friendly, but they do like making fun of almost anyone or embarassing them just for the fun of it and the next day they'll open a door for you (or some other nice thing).. o_O
Maybe I'm just not good at typing people.. :dry:

#36 · (Edited)
I just don't get this SFJs are conniving and evil thing. Those I know are really quite sweet, if with the occasionally...emotionally driven one...

I wasn't outright bullied as a kid, I was ignored and considered weird, and generally rejected by a rather ESTP male, and ESFP female climate - people obviously intuitive, very introverted, or the quirkier INTs and IFs were those who didn't fit in.

I've also known manipulative INTs, INxPs - Persus mentioned the puppet master a while ago, the guy had been through some tough times, and was capable of subtly mentally bullying others and making it look like he had nothing to do with it, was able to pull the wool over my eyes, and to this day I still can't see it, other than the combined force of all those who know him apart from me telling me he was a nasty, dangerous guy - and an overly sensitive, slightly spiteful around an INTP friend, but not outright cunning and evil ESFJ guy before.

I think I agree that it's not really a type specific thing, more a health and developement thing.

#37 ·
I've never experienced real bullying on a regular basis. There have been a few incidents involving snide comments while I'm in the room or people ganging up on me verbally. I deal with these quite well though, either through ignoring them or saying things that are at once completely logical and completely illogical that they become confused and decide to leave me alone. People who need to be mean in order to feel good about themselves are beneath me.

The worst bullying I've seen was done by someone who I think was ESTP.... Lots of nasty comments to a sensitive and easily ticked off ENFP. I feel for you ENFPs. :sad: You don't deserve that.

#38 ·
Bullies and victims are not determined by type. But type influences the style in which people might go about these situations. I've been bullied and picked on but I do not consider myself a victim because I have eventually learned to grow stronger through all of this and though I may be hurt at first, I refuse to let bullies tear me down or get in the way of my happiness. It took awhile to grow stronger but I did.

#40 ·
In elementry school I was strange but well-liked (I had a weird way of looking at things and people didn't always know how to react to me, but most of them just laughed and accepted me as who I was) In junior high I suddenly became a freak show because there were groups of kids who everyone was supposed to kiss up to and I treated them like normal people...OR if I saw an injustice take place I'd be sure to stand up for the underdog. I also went from being a cute kid to a gangly awkward looking preteen so that didn't help. In high school suddenly I was accepted again and the things that made me laughed at in elementry school, and shunnded in junior high were admired in high school...and I grew into my looks so that probably didn't hurt :/ people can be quite shallow.
But still, I've always been considered a bit odd though. :tongue:

I have no idea what types they are, I can barely remember their names or anything else about them.
I do remember coming home from school throughout junior crying though because I was pushed into the wall and kicked and whatnot. By guys AND girls.

#41 ·
I was bullied a little bit, but I don't think it was personality, really; I was the token foreign kid in a school year of 200, I was one of three non-white pupils, lol. That was secondary school. Before that, some fat kid in the year above took a disliking to me but backed off when he saw that I was going to fight back and my friends were going to help me. I did a bit of bullying in my time; couldn't say the MBTI of the people I bullied, though (INTJ? INFP? possibly) it wasn't severe bullying, not plunking heads down toilets or stealing lunch money. It was just asserting my authority over them for my benefit. At the time I didn't consider it bullying, now I think that it could possibly be classified that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.